Anyone here ditch their spare tire carrier?

BLouisGod

IMHO Pathfinders look better with the carrier, the back of the car (stock) is completely flat and doesn't have much character without it. I do agree about some of the hassles, though...I guess it's to each his own. At least it opens in the right direction, unlike the Isuzu Rodeo carrier.

Maybe if the rear got a custom bumper, and the tire went up on a roof rack, now THAT would look pretty alright.

Exactly. where will you put your spare??? Its much easier than dragging it off of the roof, and takes up too much room inside IMHO. (get a bigger spare) and oil the hinges and latches....i soak mine in PB's lubricant....works like brand new.

Mine did'nt come with one but I was seriously considering putting one on...

But its too much of a production for the support for the upper hinge...

Some may say it's plain or it looks wrong... but it beats making those 18 point turns on a tight trail... ;)

post-6-1163121213.jpg

Edited by Hud

I love the spare on my back.. to me its just always made the most sense for the spare to be on the back of an SUV. You don't lose any ground clearance (when you put it underneath), you don't lose cargo room (when you put it inside), and its a hell of a lot easier to get off than when you put it on top. Although I do still like the idea of putting a tire on top.

Just having to swing it open isn't much of a problem I don't think... I had to grease mine up so it opened easier, but now it swings easily so its no big deal at all.

add a full size spare...after seeing how much it saved...or lack there of for wheelmans pathy i wouldnt recomend removing it...

he got rear ended and it barely dented up the rear hatch and the bumper...and never broke the back glass or anything like that still opened and closed...but it was totaled where he was pushed into the pathy in front of him (guy was in a f 150 or 250 and doing about 45)...if no1 would have been in front of him it would have saved it...lemmie see if i can find pix...

u can kidna see the back here...

2359897_5_full.jpg

and the front

05060617436nd.jpg

yes it would have been fixable but the insur totaled it and he made more $ selling parts... but i think it would have been a lot lot worse without the carrier

Edited by unccpathfinder

i don't like the look of them, and they are 55 extra lbs hangin off the back.. so i sold both carriers...this will give you an idea of before and after. mini me is on the left and king caca on the right.. i sold king caca's carrier too now.....

10.jpg

Edited by Slick