IFS vs. Solid axle

Jdpathy

I don't know if this has been asked before, but I have seen several pathy's outfitted with a solid axle and I was wondering what was better. IFS vs. Solid axle? :shrug:

Which is better, Ford or Chevy, McDonalds or Burger King? It's somewhat personal preference, and somewhat what you're gonna use it for. IFS is better for bumpy roads. SFA is better for articulation(Usually).

yep, whats your intended purposes?

solid axle = good off road & strong - less breakages off road

i.f.s. = good on road handling - much weaker off road

another thing to take into account is i.f.s. has more moving parts. so GENERALLY speaking if you break stuff, theres gonna be more stuff to replace.

GO THE SOLID AXLES!! :D

Edited by sw

Even though you may clear a rock with IFS, you still are going to hit it with the rear axle.

I see... but IMO IFS often makes you less likely to clear a rock than a SA, because IFS ground clearences drop when one wheel goes up (SA still stays the same)... but that is just me :shrug:

i personally dont like IFS and the reason is because all the soccer mom mobiles and such are going to IFS and IRS and the only reason for that is beacuse of ride. Manafatures know that IFS/IRS is weaker and wont last as long but they dont care. they want to get a car like ride out of a 2 ton SUV or truck as well as add the wad of cash in their pockets by selling replacement parts. SA in my opinion is the only way to have a "true" off road vehicle but thats just me

Well I have to disagree a bit there... IS is a LOT stronger now than it used to be... as strong as a SA, no, but stronger none the less.

IFS does accel in some area's of off road, as does SA over IS. Notice that Baja racers are IS ;)

all personal preference.

and IMO, It ALL depends on the setup/build. IS can be just as good as SO and vise versa.

its up to YOU to deside what you want/need. join a local 4wheeling club. go out wheeling with them and see what you like. there will be guys with SA and you will see how thos preform.

I too will be going solid within the next year. hopfully next summer. IFS jsut breaks to much.

IFS offers far superior (and safer) handling and control. It also provides greater ground clearance 99% of the time.

IMHO, the only real advantages SA offers are how easy and relatively inexpensive they are to implement radical lifts, and how difficult it is to screw up the geometries. Hence, they are relatively bubba proof and the only real option for the knuckle dragging element of our sport.

Some claim they offer some benefits in extreme rock crawling, but I am far from convinced. I remain confident that it is just a matter of someone technically skilled enough (and financially supported enough!) doing it to prove IFS can kick butt there as well.

One only needs to look at the technogical paths of baja racing and stadium racing to see the advantages IS offers.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: 20 years from now, SA's will be categorized with tiller steering, non-pneumatic tires on wooden wheels, vacuum windshield wipers, drum brakes, 6 volt DC generators, points ignition systems, and carburetors. A technology whose time came and went a looooong time ago. And good riddance!

Edited by mws

Like everyone says.....Your Descision.....I'm sticking with IFS, because of what i do with my Pathy (80 miles of commute a day and desert running on the wekends) If i lived anywhere else but SoCal, i'd probably consider a SAS. Solid Axles don't do well in the desert....Take a look at any SCORE or CORR truck...99.99% IFS. But when you look at trail or rock crawlers they're almost all Solid Axles....but even IFS is increasing in popularity with rock crawlers.

Just my 2 bucks.....

Edited by kmgar99

Yup, that proves it. A fully custom, high dollar SA designed for max articulation will flex more than a bone stock IFS not designed for max articulation. :D

Next, which is more manueverable? An F-16 or a 747?

Edited by mws

I've said it before and I'll say it again:  20 years from now, SA's will be categorized with tiller steering, non-pneumatic tires on wooden wheels, vacuum windshield wipers, drum brakes, 6 volt DC generators, points ignition systems, and carburetors.  A technology whose time came and went a looooong time ago.  And good riddance!

what a load of garbage!

horses for corses :rolleyes:

i would like to see a bunch of 'fully sick' independant suspension truck with big lifts and 35" or bigger tyres do a few of the tracks down here in oz. then see the damage report at the end. :P

Edited by sw