I just put my hand directly into the rear frame!

zack1978

Hey everyone,

I had to take the rear tires off my 1995 SE and when I touched the rear frame, I put my hand through the frame. Now I have a few big holes in the frame on the drivers side. The pass side does not look much better. So how do I go about fixing this major problem?

Thanks,

Zack

just finished welding someplating on my frame i had big holes in the rear. What can you do the salt will eat em alive. make sure you undercoat em after! I bought a piece of steel from lowe's a 4ft piece cut it with the grinder my buddy welded it with his tiny 110 welder and voila good to go. Goodluck.

Scott

thats sucks man sorry to hear it, before i got my 95 i was gonna get a 4 runner, but i checked the net for complaints, and when i looked at my pathy i checked for rust, unfortunetly i should have checked the brake calip's better lol mine are leaking. :contract:

Well I took it to the 4wd shop yesterday for an estimate. They do a lot of quality frame work. They estimated that for both sides of the frame (drivers and Pass) the bill will be about $900.00. He claims that it will be a lot of work! He also noted that he was amazed at the amount of rust my truck has for only being a 95. He wanted to know if my truck lived near the ocean or something. Nissan dropped the ball BIG TIME on these trucks!! I don't give a @!*% about road salt or not, I was VERY good about cleaning my truck since new, It is amazing that my truck is so rotted. Nissan should be sued!

Zack

ive got an 87 and a 95 with absolutly no rust on the frames...i do always wash the under side nad have undercoated my 87 and always wash out the inside of my frame rails after every wheeling trip and every now and then when im just washing it to make sure its draining properly...

but 900 seems crazy...i mean yea i'd drop the tank...take measurements and get to supporting/cuting/ and welding

Personally, I would let the shop handle it as Im going to. I welded once in high school (still in grade 12 now) but I don't believe that i could actually weld my frame and its crossmember on because i think a shop would do a much better job than i ever could.

good luck though as my 1994 is still sitting out back at my buddies untill i have the time/cash to get it fixed.

if you wash your truck your frame wont rust nearly as bad. We had a 94 pathfinder that had jsut rolled over 300 000km (all of which were in canada) and the frame was near new. I have yet to see a pthfinder frame that good. my 89 has just recently rusted threw on the inside. I took one evening and fix it all up.

I also just finished welding up our 95's frame. there was very little left. took a whole day to do. but saved me TONS of money. granted I ownd my own welder and know how to weld.

if you wash your truck your frame wont rust nearly as bad. We had a 94 pathfinder that had jsut rolled over 300 000km (all of which were in canada) and the frame was near new. I have yet to see a pthfinder frame that good. my 89 has just recently rusted threw on the inside. I took one evening and fix it all up.

I also just finished welding up our 95's frame. there was very little left. took a whole day to do. but saved me TONS of money. granted I ownd my own welder and know how to weld.

Thats the thing, I have washed my 1995 at least once a week since new, even in the winter! It still blows my mind how bad this truck is. IMHO Nissan stole my hard earned money with this truck. It does not matter that I live in the rust belt, the bottom line is that there is no way that a 1995 should rot as bad as it has. I can't think of any other 1995 cars/trucks that are as ****** as my Path. Nissan fawked up in a big way with the quality of the metal that they used.

Zack

Thats the thing, I have washed my 1995 at least once a week since new, even in the winter!

Zack

Did you hose out the inside of the frame everytime? That's where stuff tends to collect and cause the issues. Just washing the outside, or spraying the frame off won't cut it.

Thats the thing, I have washed my 1995 at least once a week since new, even in the winter! It still blows my mind how bad this truck is. IMHO Nissan stole my hard earned money with this truck. It does not matter that I live in the rust belt, the bottom line is that there is no way that a 1995 should rot as bad as it has. I can't think of any other 1995 cars/trucks that are as ****** as my Path. Nissan fawked up in a big way with the quality of the metal that they used.

Zack

the only thing my 90 has is rust patches on the very bottom of the body right in front of the rear wheel wells, nothing major, afaik its just surface rust, and i'm gonna be fixing it pretty soon... but mines been in the dallas area its whole life i believe.

Well just a hair over 100,000 and my brake and fuel lines are all rusted out. That is unacceptable. The dealer told me $1800 to replace them all. There even charging me $300 to change the rear diff. seal because of all the rust.

Why I keep this thing is beyond me.

the only thing my 90 has is rust patches on the very bottom of the body right in front of the rear wheel wells, nothing major, afaik its just surface rust, and i'm gonna be fixing it pretty soon... but mines been in the dallas area its whole life i believe.
Check for holes in the rear wheel wells. I'm pretty sure that was the culprit on my '87. The holes allowed water and muck kicked up by the tires to collect inside the body panels where its not painted and rust from the inside out.

Hey everyone,

I had to take the rear tires off my 1995 SE and when I touched the rear frame, I put my hand through the frame. Now I have a few big holes in the frame on the drivers side. The pass side does not look much better. So how do I go about fixing this major problem?

Thanks,

Zack

See? If you would have left your hand in the frame and cut it off at the wrist, problem solved. The hole would have been plugged.