Update: EVAP CS purge flow monitor & Knock sensor

QuismO

I want to know how to turn this light off, it just turned on during my drive to lunch. I know i don't have anything wrong with the engine, fluids have changed, belts, t-belt, plugs, filters, everything within the last 5k miles.

Does anybody know how? tried searching, as well as the service manual, can't really find it.

Edited by QuismO

ok i found a few links on the web on this subject...

Link 1

Link 2

Link 1 says that i can disconnect the battery for 24 hours to clear the code.

Link 2 says that sometimes this can cause more problems, especially for smog related issues....

WTH, i might call a stealership to see how much it is to clear the light.

FTW? hehe sorry i have no idea what that means.

so you think it's the O2 sensor eh? i'm gonna try and get some codes pulled ASAP before trying to reset the light.

BTW, my Q's a '97

ahhh i see... hehe thanks.

man i called the local autozone and they don't have any OBDii scanners to give out right now.

called the stealership just to get an idea on how much it is to pull codes...$169!!!!!!!!!!!!! $61 just to reset the light...WTH.

a local garage gave me a $40 price for pulling codes.

$100 +/- $10 for an o2 sensor at the parts stores around here...sound right?

few more questions, how many o2 sensors are there? where are they?

also, i found beck & arnley, and bosch o2 sensors on ebay for 17.95...dependable replacements?

EDIT: i'm just gonna buy an obdii reader/scanner as kragen sells one for $70...i figure it's worth having since most of our cars are obdii compliant.

Edited by QuismO

I'm not gonna say much about prices cause I'm not, what you may call, an o2 efficianado :D Someone else will see this and chime in. Anyhow, buying a scanner isn't a bad idea at all. $70 is actually pretty cheap!

I'm not gonna say much about prices cause I'm not, what you may call, an o2 efficianado :D  Someone else will see this and chime in.  Anyhow, buying a scanner isn't a bad idea at all.  $70 is actually pretty cheap!

actually scratch that...i'm pissed. i called kragen to ask how much was their cheapest obdii scanner, the guy said 69.99. i go there, cheapest one is 130...WTF!!! ahhhhh

EDIT: i read somewhere that there are 4 o2 sensors total...front, rear, with 2 banks each. i'm hoping that there are no codes, but if there are, i'm hoping it's the fuel filter or o2 sensor, rather than the cat converter or something.

Edited by QuismO

Yeah there ARE 4 total...2 pass. and driver, front and rear. Exactly WHERE, I'm not sure. Not too sure about the fuel filter, but I doubt it's your cat. Has it been down on power? If your cat. WERE plugged or fouled there would be a decrease in h.p. in addition to a horrible egg smell when the engine was running.

Does your Pathy exhibit that?

yea fueler, i was hoping kragen did it as they're closer to me, so i called kragen and they don't do it. i'm not sure how autozone does it around you guys, but the autozone here requires a 200 deposit or something like that, you get the money back when u return it...so i heard.

anyways, i dc'd the battery for 10 mins, reconnected it (i figured hell, it's just like replacing a battery, consequences shouldn't be devastating), and the light turned off. so i figure, if the light comes back, then i should really go to a shop to pull some codes for me. i'll drive around a bit to see if the light turns back on.

It will probably come back on, that code has been stored in the ECU now...From what I remember, the ECU's are a sort of three phase type deal? That is, it takes 3 errors of the same nature for the light to be triggered? Not sure if that's correct or not...

Just go to the Autozone and ask them to borrow it for 10 minutes. If you offer up your drivers liscence they'll let you use it if you stay in the parking lot. I've used one from two different Autozones with no hassle or Deposit.

haha looks like your having a bad week. Try going into autozone and getting the codes read there. I pull up next to the store and they do it for free. I know there are two 02 sensors right before the cats however i dont konw where to find the others.

Two are in the exaust manifold, the other two are behind the cats. The bosch O2 sensors work but they are not a direct replacement. They come with a connector (splice?) thats a pita if you dont leave yourself enough wire. It seems to me that the front two are three wire and the back two are four wire. Not absolutely sure though.

thanks for the input...

yea i'm just gonna drive up to autozone if the light comes back on. but in the meantime, i was thinking that maybe i should just get the o2 sensors replaced regardless if i get the light or not. according to the FSM, page 9 in the EC section, there are four o2 sensors on the passenger side of the engine. two "front heated oxygen sensors"--left and right, and two rear ones, left and right as well. if there are some around the catalytic converter, man that's a Sh%@Load of o2 sensors.

To top it off, i get a letter from the DMV today saying that i need to smog my truck for registration renewal...GREAT ahahahahaha. Maybe it's a blessing in disguise though, if i fail, hopefully they can run codes and tell me what's wrong.

Edited by QuismO

called the stealership just to get an idea on how much it is to pull codes...$169!!!!!!!!!!!!! $61 just to reset the light...WTH.

a local garage gave me a $40 price for pulling codes.

I have developed a good relationship with my garage over 10 years or so. They pull the codes and re-set the beast for free. And send me to the dealer if the work is beyond their expertise (not an issue so far with the Pathy but a different story with the Mystique :furious: ).

Had to book an appointment 3 weeks in advance if I wanted the local Canadian Tire to read it :shrug:

I have developed a good relationship with my garage over 10 years or so. They pull the codes and re-set the beast for free. And send me to the dealer if the work is beyond their expertise (not an issue so far with the Pathy but a different story with the Mystique :furious: ).

Had to book an appointment 3 weeks in advance if I wanted the local Canadian Tire to read it :shrug:

yea trainman, i've got a local garage here that i'm cool with, haven't given them a call yet. i developed my relationship with them when i first bought my celica...both the shop and celica have been good to me ever since. Fortunately, the pathy has held up perfectly as i do periodic and preventative maintenance often, only took it to them when i needed my tires from tirerack installed and balanced. it pays to find an honest mechanic/shop, and be kind in return...especially for socket set mechanics like myself, who can't do the major stuff. but come to think of it, can't even do simple things like pulling codes 'cause i don't have a scanner! hehehe

I should have also mentioned that the local dealer charges $75 CDN to read the code and re-set, free if they get the work.

You really do have a stealership :oops:

I should have also mentioned that the local dealer charges $75 CDN to read the code and re-set, free if they get the work.

You really do have a stealership  :oops:

i called the service dept at an infiniti dealership...i wonder what nissan will quote me for...maybe $168 and $60 respectively =P

Edited by QuismO

Call around to other dealerships (if local). As with parts, I have found that service prices can differ (sometimes greatly) from one dealer to another :shrug:

yea that's true...i remember with the celica, one toyota dealer was cheaper than the other by a long shot. too bad the cheaper one was at another "auto row" that was like 35 minutes away.