power locks etc.

ONe21

I am the proud new owner of a 1994 pathfinder SE 4x4. Everything is power, which is great.... but scary. Being that the vehicle is 12 years old, I assumed that things would go wrong. Well, the other day my wife couldn't get in the car because every time she would attempt to open the door the power locks would lock all of the doors. She got mad because she thought I was messing with her, haha. It happens from the inside and outside.

Another question is, how do you get the door panels off. I'm guessing you just pry them off, because I don't see any screws, but it seems like there would be screws somewhere.

Thank you

mine does it sometimes because my pass outside handle sticks at times in the open position.

it did really bad to day though but it was way wet.. it has rained a bunch all day and my truck sat in it most of that time. iirc it was one of the connectors in the door that was the culprit previously.. it wasn't tight.. there is factory electrical tape in all the connectors and sometimes that actually impedes the tight fit. i don't recall if i took the tape of in either door though. will have to dig back in sometime soon especially if today's up/down episode repeats.. i couldn't get out of the truck for what seemed like 5 minutes. lol

There is talk of a yellow plastic thingie that gets broken but in my 95, there was no such issue. The problem is that when you unlock it, the mechanism hangs up just enough to be close to the trigger point where the doors would lock if you just puched down on the post by the window. Any bump or even immediately, that circuit hits and auto locks. The solution is to remove the door panel and plastic barrier and gain access to the lock actuator and mechanish. Shove your hand in with a can of WD40 or a good long lasting silicone lubricant and spray away. trigger the lock up and down several times to make sure you get the full range of the mechanism, then put it back together.

As for the door panel... there are a couple screws. pop your control box on the arm rest, pop the frame around the inner door handle, pop the little plug out of the inner door handle to gain access to a screw, look around for others around the door handle area. Then, insert a small flat-bar or wide screwdriver under the panel bottom and slide until you find the first holdign point. Pry gently and pull the panel. You will POP that clip. Work your way around (probably 8 or 9 of them). Unscrew the post for the door lock. Pull the panel out slightly and lift up to get the top out of the window groove (works best if the window is down an inch or so before doing this)

Good luck. Let us know if you need more info. I have the FSM and have done the job already.

mine are getting crazier by the day...

i think i've narrowed it all down to the alarm...

i know if the key is in the ignition and u try to lock the doors they will open and i think it might do the same thing if u just hit the lock on hte driver side door while its open...the other day they wouldnt work period so i turned the alarm to all positions and nothing then i said screw it came out and unlocked it with the key then i hit the lock and unlock and have had no problems since

i also think i've had some problems as stated above as the door unlocks sometimes i open the door and the driver side opens but the rest of the doors lock back

Thanks guys. I'll have to try the WD40 thing and see if it works. It's funny sometimes, but it gets really annoying when it's raining and your passenger cant get in (today at work). Obviously this is a common problem, so hopefully there can be a solution that works for everyone.

Oh, the reason I am taking off the door panels is to replace the speakers. The stock speakers are missing the foam surround. When I removed the rear ceiling covers The remains of the foam fell in my face. Also to anyone who doesn't know, 5x7's will not fit in the stock location, even though the stock speakers are 5x7. I learned this from a crutchfield customer service rep. He said my best bet would be 4" in the front, with some modification required.

Anyway, thanks again everyone.

ya know, i've had it happen to my 95 a bunch of times. every time it happens, i hit unlock and open up the trunk door and hit unlock again. for some reason it usually works; i think it has something to do with the locking mechanism in the back and might happen when u leave a door open and use the lock button? all in all it's plain screwy. yelling and swearing usually helps too.

welcome to the world of the pathyfinder. my 92 did that last year, especially after rain..... now they don't work at all.. or once every 6 months...... my 91 however was a victim of 2 attempted break in's so the PO decided to put keyless entry on it instead of changing locks/tumbler...... guess what? turn yer back and CLICK! yer locked out. have to be uber careful not to leave key in it at any time. my trucks hate me. plain and simple. one day i'll fix both. until then... P...

Thanks guys. I'll have to try the WD40 thing and see if it works. It's funny sometimes, but it gets really annoying when it's raining and your passenger cant get in (today at work). Obviously this is a common problem, so hopefully there can be a solution that works for everyone.

Oh, the reason I am taking off the door panels is to replace the speakers. The stock speakers are missing the foam surround. When I removed the rear ceiling covers The remains of the foam fell in my face. Also to anyone who doesn't know, 5x7's will not fit in the stock location, even though the stock speakers are 5x7. I learned this from a crutchfield customer service rep. He said my best bet would be 4" in the front, with some modification required.

Anyway, thanks again everyone.

I put 5x7's in mine. Had to go with a set of Alpines and made a modification to the plastic housing for the speakers so they would sit in it better and I had to slightly move the 4 mounting holes on the speaker so it would fit also. Dremmel, file, lighter (to heat the back of the plastic and bow it out to fit the speaker magnet) and a little rewiring due to the location of the lugs. no problem! :)

I noticed something the other day, when the locks were screwing up. Whenever I unlock the doors, the passenger side (the one giving me trouble) wouldn't come up all of the way. I'm sure that is why it keeps going right back down. So, I assume, it has something to do with the lock getting stuck between lock and unlock and when you go to open the door, it switches into the lock position. I guess I just have to figure out why it's getting stuck.

Oh, and on the speakers. Do you have to find shallow 5x7's in order for them to fit... or can you make any depth fit? Also for the rear, what makes it so much harder to fit them in that location? I'm going to be ordering speakers in the next couple of days, so I need to know.

Thanks

I noticed something the other day, when the locks were screwing up. Whenever I unlock the doors, the passenger side (the one giving me trouble) wouldn't come up all of the way. I'm sure that is why it keeps going right back down. So, I assume, it has something to do with the lock getting stuck between lock and unlock and when you go to open the door, it switches into the lock position. I guess I just have to figure out why it's getting stuck.

Oh, and on the speakers. Do you have to find shallow 5x7's in order for them to fit... or can you make any depth fit? Also for the rear, what makes it so much harder to fit them in that location? I'm going to be ordering speakers in the next couple of days, so I need to know.

Thanks

read the thread. You need to pop open the passenger side and lube the linkages. If that doesn't fix it, you might have a broken piece and it's a bitch to work inside the door. Try the easy fix first.

read the thread. You need to pop open the passenger side and lube the linkages. If that doesn't fix it, you might have a broken piece and it's a bitch to work inside the door. Try the easy fix first.

If i'm not removing the door panel then what do you mean by "pop the passenger side" Do you mean pop the lock so that it is in the unlocked position? If that's the case, then how do I access the linkages? Also, what type of lube are you refering to? Some people mean grease when they say that, but some people mean WD-40 or something similar.

Thank you.

The solution is to remove the door panel and plastic barrier and gain access to the lock actuator and mechanish. Shove your hand in with a can of WD40 or a good long lasting silicone lubricant and spray away. trigger the lock up and down several times to make sure you get the full range of the mechanism, then put it back together.