Harmonic Balancer Pulley

Dowser

Hey. im out in the Garage as I'm typing this. Blew a Water Pump, so changing the T-Belt, Water Pump, Cam Seals and Tensioner pulley. I have the Rad out, the The Belts off, The Clutch fan out, and the Plate covering the Cams off. Now... on the Harmonic Pulley. I bought a Puller, which of course didnt have the right Bolts, but I got some bolts for it.... I took the 6 bolts on it off, Strapped on the Puller, and Im cranking. It gets REAL tight, then As I wrench it, I'm Moving the Wholed ame thing... T-belt, Cams and Crankshaft. I'm a little nervous as I'm REALLY wrenching on the bloody thing and its not looking like its budging. Are they always this Tough and any hints to stop the motion of the t- belt turning?

Dowser :oops:

Edited by Dowser

Ok I have to ask... you did take the crank bolt out right? :lol:

When my engine died I actually destroyed one, nearly two pullers getting mine off (even with a hammer...tap tap ...and PB Blaster). In my case it was because the keys sheared off and allowed the pulley (and timing gear) to turn slighting wedging a bit of the two keys between the pulleys and crank... which made it tighter

Ok I have to ask... you did take the crank bolt out right? lol.

Ahem..... ahhhh..... Picture? haha I've got all 6 bolts off the Pulley, theres the Big one in the middle, but my Puller has 3 screws that go into 3 of the 6 bolt holes on the Pulley. And a Big Screw going through the middle of a plate that the other 3 screws are also attached too. The BIG screw pushes on a Big nut with a divit in it on the center of the Pulley. I'f im understanding right, I should be Tightening the BIG one to pull the Pulley off.... Still following me? haha Whats this Crank bolt......

All you should have to take off is the big bolt on the middle, 27mm I believe, and use a 3 jaw puller like one of these.

5172.jpg

:blink: :o

DO NOT USE ONE OF THE JAW TYPE PULLERS!!!!! It can damage the balancer.

Bah only if you're not careful and put it on the thin metal edge rather than the nice beefy edge in the middle, sheesh. It takes a bit of fenagling to get it to sit on there right, but I use em all the time, no problems.

Edit: It sounds like he has the good puller any how, the main crankshaft bolt just needs to be removed.

Edited by MaritimeMan

Dowser, get a strapwrench around that pulley, or put the truck in gear to stop the engine from turning while you use the puller......that's the type of puller I used on mine, and it popped right off.... and yeah, it sounds like you may still have the bolt on that holds the harmonic balancer on.

Edited by Simon

The big bolt in the middle needs to come out/ be loose...

If you can not break the torque on it without the engine turning over, you can pull the starter out enough to get a big screw driver in there and lock the teeth on the fly wheel in place... this also works for torquing the crank bolt...

Once you have the bolt out

PB blast the piss outta it n let 'er soak for a bit :aok:
And I would bet you can slide it off without a puller....

If you want a walk through Id be happy to chat on the phone.....

Edited by Casey.T

Bah only if you're not careful and put it on the thin metal edge rather than the nice beefy edge in the middle, sheesh. It takes a bit of fenagling to get it to sit on there right, but I use em all the time, no problems.

Edit: It sounds like he has the good puller any how, the main crankshaft bolt just needs to be removed.

yeah me too, never a problem.

One other thought on breaking that bolt loose if you don't have an impact gun is to use some small line, about 1/4" or 3/8" diameter. Make a loop on one end and then double it back to make a lasso that binds when you turn the pulley in the direction of loosening. Then just wrap it around a few times and tie it off on your frame. It will streach some, but if you use a breaker bar, the bolt will pop loose.

Thanks to all that have replied so far. Still at work for the moment but will be heading home in a bit to try taking that middle Bolt off.... Man.... I cant believe I didnt think of taking that off... Well what can you do... I never claimed to be a mechanic... just a guy who has an abusive relationship with his Pathfinder. I'll see if its Stick on there and if it is, you've all given me some great ideas to get it off... I'll let you kow how it goes

Dowser :oops: :oops: :oops:

When I pulled my harmonic balancer I had a heck of a time breaking the main bolt loose. I did not have an air compressor and impact so I bought a cheapo from harbor freight (electric) figured why not. well if you have ever seen one it is huge. anyway it would not fit. So I got my biggest rachet and an impact socket 27mm for the R-50. wedged it under the frame and bumped the starter and it loosened it right up.

oh then I tried using the puller and ofcourse I put the jaws on the first lip and broke it!! yay then I realized I needed to use the bolts. lesson learned so watch out for the lips on teh balancer they are like some kinda pot-metal or something.

UPDATE.

Holy F@#K that Bolt is Tight. I've been at that one freaking bolt for a LONG Time now. Since I too am Airless I've tried using Straps to hold it in place, I've wrapped the straps around the Bolts for the Puller which I secured to the Pulley.... (Dont Try that, ended up having to bend them all back to normal :furious: ) I PBed it... I've PBed it again and waited overnight, I PBed it again today... I've had it up to HERE (Raises hand way over head) with the PBing! I've Wrenched on it to the point that the whole system doesnt want to go around anymore and still it doesnt want to loosened.... I've even stood on the Bumper, Leaned back on the wrench so far that if it DID come loose, I would have went for a Ride... About he only thing I havent tried is Bumping the engine Like you did there Zonianbrat.... I was a little worried before that maybe all that pulling might bust something, but if you bumped it and nothing broke.... well.... looks like I'll be throwing the battery back in and try it out.... anyone else think thats a BAD idea?

Edited by Dowser

Whew..... its Finally over..... I got it off.

I didn't Disconnect the wire as I was already out there bumping it before i read that haha Glad it didnt start. Now..... As soon the Tension pulley, and Cam Seals I ordered arrive up here on Greyhound, I'll be in Business. I think I can manage the Timing belt and water pump swap without any retarded questions but I'm glad to know that your all here just incase.... And lets be honest.... I'll more then likely have some retarded questions. :P Thanks for all the different idea's all...

Dowser while you are in there are you going to change the thermostat? I would so that if it were to go out you would not have to go through all that crap again. I also would recomend changed maybe changing the coolant bypass hose. I did not since mine seemed fine but I might regret that in the long run.

Wasnt thinking of changing the thermostat in it. Running out of Cash to be honest... I'm doing the Waterpump, Timing Belt, Cam Seals, Crankshaft seal, Tensioner Pulley and putting a new Rad in since the factory one looks a little beat.

I really hate this Recently Purchased Pathy that I have cause its nothing like my other one. As long as it gets me around long enough till I can save a little cash and Buy another Pathy more to my taste and a little less Beaten to death, I'll be satified. Good idea though. And if I didnt have to buy a sh!t load of tools to do this job I probably would have. In the last month, I've picked up Jack Stands, A Jack, 46 piece SAE and Metric Wrench kit, Harmonic Puller, A torque Wrench, some Pull Bars, and a Rachet Set. Moving from Ontario basically ment leaving everything I owned that wasn't Absolutely Necessary at the time behind. Tools where part of that list. When cash is better, I don't Mind digging back into my engine.... gives me Experience. Thanks again for some good advice.

Dowser,

I just ordered a T-stat from the local nissan dealer. $20. For that kind of money, it doesn't make any sense not to do it. Especially since you're being so thorough on the rest of the job.