The Andrea Doria

navygz19

As many of you may already know, the Andrea Doria was a Luxury Cruise Liner that sank off the coast of Nantucket on July 25, 1956 from a colission with a merchant ship. It's a tragic story, and another man just died trying to dive the wreckage. In fact, a lot of people have perished trying to dive it. However, there's plenty of people who DO manke it and recover lot's of artifacts. The end of this article illustrates that (along with some pictures)

The question is...are we too bold to be going down there, sawing off pieces of statue and recovering them? Should they be left there to rest, along with the bodies of people who didn't make it? This doesn't just go for the Andrea Doria, but for any sort of wreckage...

I tend to stray to, "leave it alone." Though artifacts are pretty neat to see in real life in books, museums, etc. they are part of a history, and I feel they should be left in piece right where they are. We don't need people's "bank notes" to know that there really were humans on that ship.

Opinions? The last sentance in the article pretty much sums it up... :mellow:

Here's the link to the article

Edited by navygz19

well.. i am all for the recovery of the statue, but other than that and the bells... leave it alone. so many people lost their lives when the ship went down, and, like the titanic, should be left to it's watery grave.

i have watched several documentaries on this and the titanic, and, though i know it is history, they know enough now to leave it to rest. IMOO.

it costs lots of $$ to go down there, and people are STILL losing their lives in the hope of that "one special treasure".. that's kind of like looting...... but if you dive just to see it and don't pilage the artifacts, then i think it would be very educational.

but if you dive just to see it and don't pilage the artifacts, then i think it would be very educational.

I'm all for that, 110% :D

Pillaging isn't the word...it's downright stealing.

Maybe it's the Navy I have left in me :lol: The bottom of the sea is a ship's resting place and needn't be disturbed :aok:

Well, some people can't even dive just to look, and some of the artifacts that have been brought up can give them a little look at what it's like down there, along with pictures. Humans are very tactile creatures, think about when you were a kid, and "Can I see that?" really meant "Hand that to me so I can play with it." It's similar for adults, a picture sometimes isn't as good, seeing the real thing is better. Seriously, otherwise strip clubs wouldn't make much money... :P

Well, some people can't even dive just to look, and some of the artifacts that have been brought up can give them a little look at what it's like down there, along with pictures.

That's what National Geographic is for...

It's not about being a kid and not being to take "no" for an answer. It's about respect...

i say raise the damn thing. :P:D

you would mz :lol: technically it is a graveyard isnt it against the law to rob a grave? leave it alone. I am not against a few artifacts for the living and history but after that leave it alone already, im sure enough reckage was washed up to remeber it by.

Take only pictures, leave only foot... errrr..... fin prints?

Or something like that :D

I just went to my wife's grandmothers funeral, but I'm not considering resurrecting her to get the mood ring she had on her right ring finger. ;)

i say raise the damn thing. :P:D

You know MZ, I would be more for this than going and pillaging for "trophies."

Raising an entire ship/grave is one thing...stealing it's commodities that don't belong to you another...

Um, you'd have to come up with a GOOD reason for me to dive that deep... The human body is NOT designed to endure 110+ PSI !!! Gee, and people die doing that dive ?? No sh!t !! :blink:

As for robbing a 'grave' ?? The crabs ate them within a week and anything else they could. The dead have no need for material things. The wreck is in international waters (I think). Pillage away but just remember it could cost you your life; then you won't have any use for what you got... :P \

B

technically it is a graveyard isnt it against the law to rob a grave? leave it alone.

So is Mt. Everest and hundreds trample that hill each year.

I think the attraction to wreck diving has to do more with the challenge and adventure than plundering the deep, plus bringing back artifacts from them seems to kinda keep the memories alive. I mean how often would you think of the Andrea Doria or Titanic if no one ever went down there?

I say raise both ships and stick 'em on the mountain. Now there's a challenge. Quick, get me James Cameron on the phone! :D

Well with the titanic, the people that found it had rights to lay claim to it since it was in international waters, the original dicoverer left it alone because he saw it as a graveyard, then Titanic, Inc. came in and started to grab artifacts by the sub load.

I'm on the salvage side of the fence. I've gone to the junkyard and got stuff off of wrecked car that someone died in, it didn't become a shrine, it became a parts pig. -thnkboutit-

a picture sometimes isn't as good, seeing the real thing is better
I agree...

Museums.. should we be rid of them all? I mean they often display items that were taken from someones "final resting place" It's the same thing, but people don't seem to mind that.

I'm on the salvage side of the fence. I've gone to the junkyard and got stuff off of wrecked car that someone died in, it didn't become a shrine, it became a parts pig. -thnkboutit-

Again, I agree... someone please explain the difference between a car and a ship :shrug:

The dead have no need for material things.

Exactly... if any given item can be used or provide enducation value.. why not recycle it back into the realm of the living

But, I doubt 1500 people went down with that salvaged car..

No, but I'm sure there are probably at least 10x that many cars in Junkyards from deadly accidents.

It's not like if you leave it there it will last forever, and it's not like 50 million people are going to go visit it as a memorial. Hell, they hauled all of the twin towers off and recycled them, they didn't leave them in a pile where they fell with all the bodys as they came to rest. Whenever a plane or ship goes down these days they try to recover every piece of it to recreate/ figure out the cause, no matter the # of dead. -thnkboutit-

bodies are gone

cool stuff still exists

if you're stupid enough to do a 200+ foot dive, more power to ya.

Personally, if someone felt that they owned what was there, they should go get it. Otherwise, it's free for the harvesting.

DID YA HEAR ME YOU F*^*&&KING GOVERNMENT BASTARDS?!?!?!?!

IF I FIND TREASURE WHILE DIVING OFF THE KEYS, IT"S MINE! YOU DIDN'T EVEN KNOW IT WAS THERE SO YOU HAVE NO F*(^*KING CLAIM TO IT! NOT YOURS!!!! MINE!!!

I just see it differently, the Twin Towers was a completely different thing outside of the massive loss of lives.

How? A tragic event that took a bunch of lives; boat, plane, building / natural or unnatural / accident or intentional event what makes the difference in your mind?

Now if it were the city of Atlantis down there, I would say leave it be, but some boat (like many, many others) goes down, it's salvage.