New Nissan owner 2002 chilkoot. A question...

cvearl

Love my new 3.5L 2002 Automatic Trans Chilkoot 4x4. Has about 140k km's on it. Well new for me anyway. I hope I am welcome here even though I am not a big time offroader. I like to climb roads my Dodge Caravan would have nightmares about but nothing like alot of you can do. Certainly not submerging in gumbo or boulder hopping. But I do get a kick taking it on some spooky climbs as long as I know I will be ok or wont need to be winched out. But this is mainly when going camping.

My questions revolve mainly around milage and engine life concearns the other 95% of the time I drive it in the city..

1. regular oil or synthetic Weight? 5/30 10/30?

2. Regular or Premium ?

3. Basically is AWD mode ok instead of locked 4x4 on icy roads? I live in the southern end of Canada. So kinda like Colorado. 6 or 7 months of the year it's wet, slushy or frozen roads.

Oh and anything that might sneek up on me in the future mechanically from regular everyday use?

Thanks! :)

C.

1.) Regular is fine, synthethic is better. 5W-30.

2.) Premium (unfortunately) - it's what Nissan calls for, and I don't recommend using anything lower than the recommended octane rating.

3.) Yes, it's fine. But if it gets dicey, you might wanna click it into 4x4.

Sneak up? Not so much, review the maintenance schedules in the back of your owners manual and have the 100,000km (and higher) major services done, unless you have records of them being done.

^what he said^ and welcome to the family :beer: alot of good info and helpful people here and it doesnt matter if your into the offroad bit as much as some are; all are welcome so enjoy your new ride and stick around ;)

Welcome to another 02 Chilkoot owner.

What they said Except the premium fuel bit. I run regular with no problems, including some very steep hills, no pinging or anything like that. But I only have access to three grades of gasoline, maybe in the some areas there is a lower octane than what I use?

I tried the good stuff over a several thousand km trial and noticed no difference in performance or fuel economy, so I see no benefit for the extra 10-13 cents per liter the stuff costs around here.

I just changed to synthetic oil and the motor loves that stuff. Starting it up takes half as long (as if the VQ needs a long crank to start anyway), so I know it does something and I am willing to pay extra for that.

You will not notice any sort of difference in performance/economy when using a different octane rating fuel.

This topic was just covered recently here, and I'll echo it again.

Manufacturers design engines and the engine control systems very very very specifically, and they design them based upon using a certain grade of fuel. The higher octane rating fuels take longer to burn, and the motor is designed for that longer burn. Using 87 in an engine designed for 91/93, you will not see any degradation of performance, however the faster burn will affect the seals in your engine and could lead to a premature failure or internal engine damage.

Re: gas - my 99.5 pathy has just over 130,000 kms - I use the regular gas... I've never used premium enough to note any differences (I'm not that rich!!) But I havent had issues with regular gas...

All Pathfinders with the exception of the VQ35 are recommended to use 87. And yes...it should be in the owners manual, at the end in the Quick Reference section, along with the recommended type of Motor Oil, capacities, etc.

All Pathfinders with the exception of the VQ35 are recommended to use 87. And yes...it should be in the owners manual, at the end in the Quick Reference section, along with the recommended type of Motor Oil, capacities, etc.

Section 9, Pages 9-2 to 9-4 (for mine anyway B) ) And the Great V is correct and I am WRONG :X :eek:

They also do not recommend ANY fuel additives, like fuel injector cleaner, and the like. May void warranty.

HOLY CRAP!!! :mellow:

I could not have expected this many quality replies! I never thought owning a vehicle was putting me in a community. Hahaha. Great! :aok:

I even had another Pathfinder owner wave at me in passing. And I live in a MAJOR city. That never happend in any other vehicle I have ever owned. Wow.

Anyway. I love the truck.

And all this advice rocks. :)

Thanks so much.

Now time for me to -study- the manual more. If it's 91 fuel then it's 91 rated fuel. I believe I should do exactly as instructed. No need for $3500 repairs in the future like I had on the Caravan. :(

Oh did I remember to tell you all NEVER to buy dodge Caravan? Don't buy a Caravan. Hahahaha. ok ok . I know that 1996 was in fact the WORST year in Caravan history for bugs. It was just my luck to have purchased one and my stupidity to have held on to it as long as I did repair after repair. :crazy:

And Venge... :bow:

C.

Edited by cvearl

I even had another Pathfinder owner wave at me in passing. And I live in a MAJOR city.

Where abouts are you??

Careful you dont give Vengeful too much of an ego trip! :D

Welcome to the board... it is a pretty good place here!

They also do not recommend ANY fuel additives, like fuel injector cleaner, and the like. May void warranty.

I'm calling BS on Nissan for saying that if they're talking about injector cleaners.

Chevron Techron Fuel Injector Cleaner is a fantastic product.

I'm calling BS on Nissan for saying that if they're talking about injector cleaners.

Chevron Techron Fuel Injector Cleaner is a fantastic product.

Here is the exact wording from Section 9 of my 02 manual:

Aftermarket fuel additives

NISSAN does not recommend the use of any

fuel additives (i.e.: fuel injector cleaner, octane

booster, intake valve deposit removers, etc.)

which are sold commercially. Many of these

additives intended for gum, varnish or deposit

removal may contain active solvents or similar

ingredients that can be harmful to the fuel

system and engine.

Hey or 99.5, You like the chevron techron stuff?? Do you like it better than seafoam? I have used ever is seafoam. And eventhen I only use it as an additive to the gas tank. People tell me you can use it throught the brake booster or something?? Not sure if I am correct or not.

Hey or 99.5, You like the chevron techron stuff?? Do you like it better than seafoam? I have used ever is seafoam. And eventhen I only use it as an additive to the gas tank. People tell me you can use it throught the brake booster or something?? Not sure if I am correct or not.

Using Seafoam in the intake via the brake booster or other vacuum line (I use the EVAP purge vacuum line; it's easier to remove than the brake booster) cleans out carbon and blow-by deposits in the intake tract as well as the cylinders. It makes a lot of white smoke during the process, which while fascinating (to you), may not go over too well with your neighbors. :D

It makes a lot of white smoke during the process, which while fascinating (to you), may not go over too well with your neighbors.  :D

That's an understatement.

Last time I SeaFoamed my engine, we were in the middle of a big Cicada season...

Didn't see a SINGLE cicada in the neighborhood for about two weeks. Fumigated the entire neighborhood! LOL.

Didn't go over very well with the neighbors at first...but they forgave me quickly when they realized that all the bugs were gone. LOL. :lol:

Oh, and uh, you might not want to do this if you live in a townhouse community or apartment complex....and DEFINITELY not in a garage...lol.

Hey or 99.5, You like the chevron techron stuff??

I've always read glowing reviews of Techron, and aside from what the liability-conscious Nissan engineers state, nobody has had trouble caused by Techron fuel cleaner.

If you had $$$ to burn, you could actually run your engine off of solely Techron.

I haven't Seafoamed my engine yet because I'm not sure if I need to replace it or not.

HOLY CRAP!!! :mellow:

I could not have expected this many quality replies! I never thought owning a vehicle was putting me in a community. Hahaha. Great! :aok:

I even had another Pathfinder owner wave at me in passing. And I live in a MAJOR city. That never happend in any other vehicle I have ever owned. Wow.

hehe yea, i've received a few nods and waves from other pathy/qx4 owners too...there's a lot of unspoken camaraderie between pathy owners. i found it weird since i too live in a large metropolitan area (san francisco). but i only get them from the older pathy owners (wd21 and r50's).

as for this forum...by FAR, the BEST!!!

hehe yea, i've received a few nods and waves from other pathy/qx4 owners too...

as for this forum...by FAR, the BEST!!!

Yes it seems that way. Heh.

Most active Nissan Forum I have been able to find.

I have already spent alot of time just reading through other threads here. Alot of really good conversations on the subject of Pathfinders. :aok:

:)

Edited by cvearl

Just a funny note I was reminded of with all the cleaning talk. Did a brake job and misc. maintainence a few weeks ago. Had a sticky throttle. So I'm sitting there, truck not running spraying out the TB. Won't start, won't start. Now I'm pissed. Thinking great I flooded it. Let it sit all night. Next morning still will not start. SO now I'm a bit worried. Just for yucks I slap the intake back together and she starts right up.

<------ Derrrrrrrrrrr