99 Pathfinder Overdrive whistle noise...

OE812

My 99.5 Pathfinder is making a whistling noise eminating from the rear. This happens when coasting at about 22 mph (1200rpm's) with the overdrive on. When coasting at 22mph, pressing the OD button off eliminates the noise. Pressing it on again, the noise is back.

Any suggestion?

Thanks,

Jeff

is it more of a whirrr.... cause when im going like 70 and holding the gas at like a 50mph level, i hear a noise, but i think thats just something like, not catching since im not moving slow enough to need it

is it more of a whirrr.... cause when im going like 70 and holding the gas at like a 50mph level, i hear a noise, but i think thats just something like, not catching since im not moving slow enough to need it

That's probably differential whine, which isn't a big problem, it's just sort of an annoyance caused when the gears have worn in. It is often loudest when there is no load on the gears. This only happens if the engine is decelerating at exactly the same rate as the vehicle. In other words, no acceleration and no engine braking. Shift to neutral isn't the same as no engine braking, because then the driveshaft puts a very slight decelerating load on the pinion gear, which is usually enough to hide the whining.

My 99.5 Pathfinder is making a whistling noise eminating from the rear. This happens when coasting at about 22 mph (1200rpm's) with the overdrive on. When coasting at 22mph, pressing the OD button off eliminates the noise. Pressing it on again, the noise is back.

Any suggestion?

Thanks,

Jeff

When you switch OD on and off at 22mph, does the RPM change? This could be the same thing as what I just posted about differential whine. With OD on at 22mph, the tranny might shift into a gear that happens to put nearly no load on the gears.

When you switch OD on and off at 22mph, does the RPM change? This could be the same thing as what I just posted about differential whine. With OD on at 22mph, the tranny might shift into a gear that happens to put nearly no load on the gears.

Yes, the rpm changes. What is the best diff fluid to use?

Use 80-90W GL5 gear oil. If you have an LSD, use the same type which includes an LSD additive. But that may not help with the whining noise, which isn't a serious problem.

Edited by XPLORx4

On my 02, shifting the OD button at 35 kph (22 mph) does not do anything, it is too slow (school zone slow). Need to get up to 50 kph (30 mph) or so before the OD will kick in.

I know no help, just my experience P...