R/c Cars

unccpathfinder

I did a search and all i came up with is this topic

http://npora.ipbhost.com//index.php?showto...33&hl=Nitro

but I have been wanting to get an RC car for the last 2-3 years but with things breaking and what not funds have not permitted it...

I think I would like Nitro b/c I remember some of the older R/C cars i had the battery would last like 10 mins or so and that pissed me off...I have been looking around and there are lots of options out there...i would like a traxxas but i cant really see forking out $500 unit i get 1 and play with it some and see exactly how long i will be interested in it...

what are the pro's and cons on battery vs nitro...I would like a truck (4wd i think) whats the pro's and cons of 2wd and 4wdin R/C cars...I will be playing with it in the sand/rocks a lot ? How hard is it to convert a 2wd to a 4wd b/c the 2wd's are a lot cheaper

pretty funny threads i found while reading around....http://www.rcnitrotalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=49076

some trucks i've looked at:

Traxxas Stampede (Nitro 2wd) $268

HPI Wheely King RTR (electric 4wd) $208

I found this 1 too it seems too cheap to be actually worth anything and cant find reviews anywhere (link)

Thanks

nitro's are cool. battery powered ok but goes dead too quick. if you do go nitro get the push button starter. i've owned both and the nitro hauls ass. push button starter makes starting the nitro's easy. it does run on a battery pack iirc. in my opinion go with the nitro.

My old "friend" Brian left a couple of used nitro engines at my house with a bunch of parts. I have no idea what to do with them. TRX-12 engine and a REALLY tiny one with no markings on it...two fuel tanks, one broken...TRX-12 manual and documentation...Ni-Cad 1500 battery, couple of Futaba parts...some bearings and parts, etc...one electric motor...sheesh.

I've seen a few video's featuring the Wheely King that were kick ass. I think those were modded, but that's where some of the fun is. I know you'll be modding the hell out of whatever you end up with.

I've been wanting one for a while also. Watching video's of the different trucks, how the run, how they jump, and how they're modded is a nice way to decide what to go with.

Edited by TrailChaser

the wheely king is nice...i just really have an issue with the batteries...I thought about getting 1 and then trying to upfit it with a Nitro later on...I have been watching Ebay and I missed a couple of good trucks so I am going to keep on watching...theres a guy in my home town that bought 1 new out of the box and it looks like he pulled it completely apart and sold it all as new parts...im going to get the tool kit with manuals (and parts list) and probably the chassis to then start acquiring parts to build my own... just found the parts list and manuals and exploded assemblies...time to start pricing on ebay and hobby stores...see if its like real cars and would cost 10X to build it from scratch by just buying parts...

I still want to get truck to start toying with while i gather the parts to build (i have a think with custom work i donno what it is)

i got busy at work today and missed bidding on this 1...he also had 2 controllers which would have been nice...along with all the tools and extra parts...but they're all over ebay so i'll keep watching and hopefully grab when the time is right (i still have to run it across the boss, preferably before I buy 1 haha)

the 1st thing is going to be finding a pathy model or something that i can create/use as the body on this mother :D

Edited by unccpathfinder

Have you had a look at the HPI Savage? Its a nitro. I've owned one for almost 3 years now. Tough as nails too. I think since then theirs been a few more newer Savage models. All independent suspension, two speed auto tranny and comes with two different gearing options. One for offroad and one for onroad. Famous for bashing and its ability to take anything you throw at it. I paid almost 700$ for my HPI Savage.25 over here in canada couple years ago, so if you can find the same one its prolly alot cheaper now.

Yea i've looked at some of the HPI stuff...and read around and they seem to be pretty tough...but even the used 1's are still a bit pricey...I wish I could find a deal on like 2 or 3 trucks that are busted and need some work of different makes so I could build 2 out of them...

I would mainly want to build a bashing truck with the independent susp. and then possibly a rock crawler with solid axles...and then if the interest is still there I would have to get some buggies/drift cars (seen some vids and thats actually pretty cool and not too ricer)...in charlotte there was an RC store near the university and me and the gf would go up there and watch them run and she loved it so i think this is something we can both get into...but its not cheap

this will also be my gateway into purchasing a small mill/lathe so custom parts can be built b/c the engines seem like they can be built for the most part from basic milling operations (with the exception of the heat sinks but i think it could still be done) in college i worked in the machine shop for a semester and the guy in charge had a nack for small engines (one of or projects was manuf. a small air engine that ran on 2psi and then ran at least 5k rpms at 80 psi) he had all kinds of rotary, multi piston, oscillation and other air engines as well as gas engines that he built of of all machine parts and things that he couldnt make like springs and what not he took like old razor blades and used...it was pretty crazy and thats when i really started getting interested in the small engines...then our junior year we had to build a crane so I got really interested in all the R/C stuff but never had the $ which really hasnt changed much but i really want 1 haha :)

edit:

how easy would it be to take the power train (engine/ tranny) & control's system from a car and put on a truck chassis?...cars on ebay are like 1/2 the cost so i was thinking about finding a rolling truck chassis and cross over the drivetrain (i know the ratio's will be goofy at 1st) but it cant be that big of a difference...

Edited by unccpathfinder

I've got a 1/8th Ultra LX pro Buggy style nitro R/c. Damn fast, I hit a small glass bottle by accident and smashed it to pieces :D

The only thing I don't like about nitro is that you have to use them in a big area and they are noisey (like a ton of bee's)

and they do need a fair amount of maintaning. Mine's been sitting around for about 8 months.

One day for the hell of it I removed the front diff.....VERY VERY hard to drive.

It has been a long time since I have done anything RC... I hate it when threads like this start as I always get the itch to go and dig the one I have left out again.

Anyway, converting from car to truck is easy if it is still possible to do it the way we used too.

They used to sell conversion kits for some cars (JG Manufacturing was one company who made kits), but what it boils down to is truck wheels and tires (often bolt on but possibly with an adapter), install some extended body mounts (aka body lift hit ;) , they make universal mounts too) and toss a truck body on top of it... and you have a truck.

To gain additional ground clearance above and beyond the what the tires give you, you can change the mounting position of the shocks. Other options are to increase the spring tension through stiffer springs, spring spacers or by simply lowering the spring collars if so equipped... but it will stiffen the suspension.

When doing any of that, installing extended A-Arms and driveshafts are often a bonus if they are available (these can benefit a car as well, without the lift)

I am not up to speed with current kits and methods, when I was into it a "race truck" was just what I described above (other than the big "monster truck models like the Kyosho Double Dare and USA1 or the Tamyia Clodbuster). The trend was swaying towards, modified car kits with the longer a-arms and driveshafts I mentioned above, coming stock in the box.

well here is the truck I won on ebay...I figured if its complete junk I will at least have a starter set...and if I end up not liking it or it gets old after 3 or 4 runs then I can just resale it and prob get my $ back out of it...

these cant be upgraded to 4x4 so easily but like i said its a good start for the price...the guy seemed to think it would be too much for a "novice" but I found all the manuals and what not so it cant be that bad...

f60b_1.JPG

fad5_1.JPG

I'm a little late, congrats on your purchase. If anyone else is interested or if you want another check out Smartech, I have one of their AWD on road cars. Price is good, parts are reasonable, and it's pretty damn fast

• 4 weeks later...

a traxxas stampede with a trx2.5 that must be hard to keep on 4 wheels, i had one with a trx.15 it poped wheelies all the time. they are great little trucks but the turning sucks and they flip easy but most of the parts you break are pretty easy to repair or make your own. and it is really easy to make it water proof i had mine driving in a swimming pool in my back yard, the snorkal looked like a parascope but it was pretty sweet. o and for you electric haters they are now faster and can run longer with lipo bateries there run times can get up to 1 hour and they can beat a nitro off the line any day and with a brushless mottor the nitro whould never have time to cach up, plus they will save you money in the long run. just somthing to think about. here are som pics of my trucks. 2 T-MAXXES and a nitro kyosho usa1 my traxxas rustler hit a tree at full speed (45-55) mph so it is not pictured. o and the traxxas web site has a good fourm.

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t318/pa...er/P8160032.jpg

the t-maxx in the middle is getting dulies 8wd mabey then it will make it up the hillclimb under the overpass.

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t318/pa...er/P8160035.jpg

chvey body i painted has see threw flames on hood and top has blues leds that light up the truck.

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t318/pa...er/P8160034.jpg

i have a vid of this truck doing a tripple backflip at a skate park

Edited by bigfisch1191

I been thinkin of an HPI RS3 / RS4 4wd on-road car.... what do u think of them?

well i do not know a ton about on road but, if you want to get one you need to have a local track near by because if you hit even the littlest rock your car can easily losse control and flip.you can haul ass down the street mabey even attempt to do some drifting. but after awile i would imagine going up and down the road would get abit boring atleast with a truck you can go off jumps and do flips and drive anywere. but hpi is won of the best brands and there trucks and cars have been know to take a beating so if you do want an on road car those are both good chocies.

Edited by bigfisch1191