How To Replace Brake Rotors on R50

vengeful

Note: This was originally posted by our own Dean (XplorX4) in the R50 section. I have copied it here for ease of future reference. Thanks again Dean, you're the best! - V

First, remove the hubs. this link up to photo 8, then see the photos in this link.

The link above shows photos of how to replace the wheel hub, but the steps to replace the hub or the brake rotor are identical, since they need to be separated from each other. The main difference is that you don't need to replace the ABS toner ring or the wheel bearings, but they should be repacked with fresh grease, and you will need to replace the inner bearing grease seals, too.

EDIT: I just realized there are few missing steps. In order to remove the outer bearing you need to remove the bearing retaining washer, and the locknut. The 2 Phillips-head screws holding it in place are very soft. If you do not use the properly-sized driver on them, you will strip the heads. It helps to push on the screw firmly while you remove it, so that the screwdriver remains firmly seated in the screwhead. To remove the locknut, you can loosen it by inserting a punch (I used a screwdriver) into one of the holes on it and tapping on the punch to force the nut to rotate.

Repacking the bearings is also not covered in my photos. Here's a writeup for bearing repacking on an Xterra, which is the same procedure as for the Pathy. However, do not remove the inner seal as shown there. Instead, use this method. (Be sure to use a non-metallic instrument to tap out the seal and inner bearing.)

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...

OK I know this is back in the time.

But I was about to repack my front bearing and I

notice that in this thread they say to not remove the

inner seal.

How's that. How can I remove the bearing to repack it if

I don't take it out.

I'm a real noobie so feel free to teach me a lesson.

This will be my first DIY mechanic experience.

So it tell you how far back i am.

From what I read in this thread

http://npora.ipbhost.com//index.php?showto...=wheel+bearings

but the rotor is bolted to the hub, which houses the bearing.

The design is a bit different from what I am used to and have on my truck so I could only give you a general description. I will say this though, seating the bearing races can be a pain (you always change bearings and races as a set) unless you have some experience, the proper tools and a decent place to work. While it is not difficult, per se, it needs to be done right the first time. I'm not sure this is the job to experiment with. Here are my recommendations...

1) Buy/download a manual. It will pay for it's self the first time you don't damage something. Factory service manual is ideal, but has no pictures, Chiltons or Haynes has pictures but sometimes covers so many years it is not exact. I actually have all 3... :shrug:

2) Read through the entire job to make sure you don't need (or have) special tools and supplies like pullers, torque wrenches, sealant, grease, etc...

3) Have someone helping you who has done this work before and can explain why/what not to do.

4) Have another vehicle to drive in case you have problems/need parts or more time.

In this case, I suggest removing the rotors as per the manual and take them to a shop with the replacement bearings to have them remove the old and press in the new races. You will save a lot of $ this way, still doing 90% of the work, but won't need the special tools/knowledge.

B

So if I want to replace the bearing (wich are geetting very hot BTW)

I must purchase inner & outer bearing, rotor seal and races for the bearings or they

come with them ??

I don't really understand what is race bearing.

I don't spek english very well and I'm a pitiful mechanic.

Can you explain that to me.

And if I change the bearings can I follow the xterra how-to ?

If I take the rotor out, why am I bringing them to the shop ?

What will be left to do ?

Thank you for your time.

I don't really understand what is race bearing.

Outer (and inner) bearing rings are called "bearing races". They comes with a new bearing.

R50 front axle setup has some differences from WD22 (Xterra) and WD21, but you can refer to Xterra how-to. Main procedures are the same.

• 2 years later...

Note: This was originally posted by our own Dean (XplorX4) in the R50 section. I have copied it here for ease of future reference. Thanks again Dean, you're the best! - V

First, remove the hubs. this link up to photo 8, then see the photos in this link.

The link above shows photos of how to replace the wheel hub, but the steps to replace the hub or the brake rotor are identical, since they need to be separated from each other. The main difference is that you don't need to replace the ABS toner ring or the wheel bearings, but they should be repacked with fresh grease, and you will need to replace the inner bearing grease seals, too.

EDIT: I just realized there are few missing steps. In order to remove the outer bearing you need to remove the bearing retaining washer, and the locknut. The 2 Phillips-head screws holding it in place are very soft. If you do not use the properly-sized driver on them, you will strip the heads. It helps to push on the screw firmly while you remove it, so that the screwdriver remains firmly seated in the screwhead. To remove the locknut, you can loosen it by inserting a punch (I used a screwdriver) into one of the holes on it and tapping on the punch to force the nut to rotate.

Repacking the bearings is also not covered in my photos. Here's a writeup for bearing repacking on an Xterra, which is the same procedure as for the Pathy. However, do not remove the inner seal as shown there. Instead, use this method. (Be sure to use a non-metallic instrument to tap out the seal and inner bearing.)

There appears a good Youtube video on this, but its for an X Terra. I was kind of thinking it was the same as my R50 which is going to need some new rotors soon.

Are the captive rotors on my R50 more than typical rotors i'm used to?

• 1 year later...

Resurrecting this old thread. I am wanting to dive in and change my rotors and pads, even have them and a borrowed compressor in the garage waiting. Just want to make sure I dont get in over my head. Is this above video pretty accurate for R50 disassemblies as well?

• 4 months later...