Lifter Swap

Casey.T

Appears the verdict is in on the noise my 91's JDM Engine is making...

Extreamly loud Lifter Knock.

Under the Unlimited Mileage Warrenty they want to Remove and Replace "All" of the Lifters.

I am at this time, a little hessitant to do this myself as the books I have are not very discriptive and Im not big on playing with little tiny parts that can cause total failure in my engine.

Who here has done this in the past? And what would you rate the degree of difficulty? Shop time from a Stealership is 3.5 hours......

The Knock is coming from the Passenger side so if I do do this myself, I will start there and if its fixed on the 1st round. Should I pull the drivers side and do that too?

Lifter replacement is a simple project... not hard at all. I replaced a couple of them on the right hand side while installing a new cam (in place of a broken one) and later on, all of them on the left hand side.

Just make sure you loosen and tighten the bolts in the order they specify and to the torque they call for (I can look this up again if you need it)

It's not that bad. Pull the valve covers and the rocker arms, then yoink the lifters. Rachel, do you have any input on lifter removal?

i haven't had the need to "replace" my lifters i just loosened the rocker arm to get my cams straight. the only thing i am going to be cautious about is the valve spring retainers.. they skeer me... i don't think you have to go "there" lol but obviously they're right underneath the lifter rod.... *imagines spring shooting into the air as she takes the lifter off* sssh

you can do eeeeet! i KNOW you can! :beer:

oh.. and as red said, of which i know that you know the torque specs.. 12-14ft lbs i believe (damnit man! don't quote me on that!) :P

now.. sssh if ya wanna wait a week or 2 i can tell you exactly how to do it.. with pics.. lol.... cuz i am starting ont he spare motor tomorrow.. it is time P...

Edited by Slick

Let me take some pics for ya, I have one of my heads appart and the rockers taken out. It's actually quite simple, and I'd say for both sides, allow for a couple hours, as the intake plentum covers one side, and if you have never taken that off it can be fun. I just followed my FSM when I did it, with some x refence to chilton's.

Ok so as promised, here are some pics of what you are getting into, and as prior mentioned, nothing too difficult, just make sure you have a torque wrench for putting it all back together.

Ok step one is take the valve cover off, also refered to as the rocker cover. Once that is off, you will see something that looks like this. Keep in mind, this one has already been taken apart and I just pieced together for the pics, note the blue zip ties, we'll get to that later.

dscn0202sx1.jpg

Next step is to remove the bolts holding the rocker shafts in place. Now the bolts that hold them in place also hold the lifter block in place as well. For this step, just remove the rockers on their shafts. Make sure to take note of any special order to take these off. Haynes manual said to even take note of their specific location, as they are different lengths, but I found this to be false. The bolts were all the same length in mine. It should look like this:

dscn0203zi5.jpg

Ok now we come to the little blue zip ties. The lifter block should be loose now, but DO NOT pick it up. The lifters will fall out to who knows where and get mixed up, this is not good. Use the zip ties on the top shoulder to keep them from falling through. The FSM recomends using wire, hey, whatever you have around. Here's a close up, followed by the lifter block out and you can see them trying to fall out:

dscn0205wi6.jpg

dscn0207zl9.jpg

Thats about it, not too much else, good luck and happy wrench turning.

MM :clap:

Thanks for the Pics, This will be a fun expierence.. I dont mind working on piecing thing back together, just some things I have not had any exp on and this is one of them. I am off to see one more person, to get an additional opinion on the racket.... The we shall dive in P...

• 2 weeks later...

Well I dove in and swapped out the Lifters on the Passenger side.... Soaked the new ones in a bowl of 10-40 for about an hour...

Now it makes more of a TAP :furious:

I will dive into the drivers side Sunday.....

• 3 weeks later...

Quick update...

Got the Drivers side lifters replaced and if im lucky I will light it up tonight.....

Fricken B!tch, Upper intake and all its components and tubing, Distributor, then you get to pull that 1 screw covered by the Distr P... -argue-

• 1 year later...
Quick update...

Got the Drivers side lifters replaced and if im lucky I will light it up tonight.....

Fricken B!tch, Upper intake and all its components and tubing, Distributor, then you get to pull that 1 screw covered by the Distr P... -argue-

I know this is an old post, but I'm wondering if you could post your results. Did the lifters fix the problem?

Opps, Results were... Its not the lifters knocking.... I still have the knock/tap... I have just learned to live with it for the time being....

Im like 99.9% sure the results ended up in the PoHo thread....

I'll go with...piece of trash in the cylinder welded to the piston/head and it knocks as it hits the TDC...thats what my 87 did when I changed the plugs...I bet I could still be driving it but I didn't want to risk it...but after it intially happened the sound did get quieter after about 15 mins but it was still there

you did prim them up correct? if they have a lack of oil that would cause them to stick and then knock? or possibly the lifter assembly has an oil just clogged up and it doesn't put oil through to the lifters...

Edited by unccpathfinder

I have been driving it for over a year.... When I do the rear main again, Ill tinker around with the motor while its out. Only other thing we can figure that is making the noise is something in the Distributor.... only moving part in that area that I did not change out....

• 8 years later...

So these pictures are all dead for me (unsurprisingly since its real old) does anyone know of a good DIY with how to replace the lifters with working photos OR know where in the service manual it disucsses this? Im not finding it anything on lifters.

Thanks in advance guys.

I gotta fix this its driving me nuts.