MY RADIATOR JUST BUSTED!

TutorN1

Well, I'm surprised. :lol: The more you know...

There's a thread on posting pics but basically you host them somewhere else (flickr or photobucket or something), copy the direct link to the picture, then click the picture icon above the bit you type in (it's under and to the left of the smiley, looks like a tree if you look closely) and paste the link into the box that pops up. Then hit enter and you've got a picture.

The gaskets are defiantly different. The one that I have now is for the 87-95 pathfinder, Datsun, & a mercury, go figure?

The one on the R50 has only 3 holes evenly spaced.

I think the 300ZX was around while they were still called Datsun. and that's the Mercury Villager. Ford and Nissan came to some sort of agreement so Ford uses the VG30, and VG33 in the later years, in their Mercury Villager and whatever Ford equivalent of that POS minivan is.

From rock auto I get this gasket for the VG30 thermostat housing, yes I know the FSM says to use silicone,

14b83uc.jpg

and for a 99 3.3 V6 they show this one:

2ex095z.jpg

I've got the one on bottom now and it's the one that won't fit. The top one is the one I need. I've looked up the FSM on how to change it as well, and it shows the housing for the top one.

Which is the same as what's on mine. Am I just missing something?

I just checked the FSM and it just shows a housing with the three holes. I might can make the gasket I have work, but also read in it that all was needed was liquid seal. Although I have used this stuff before with no problem I prefer to have a paper gasket.

If I'm over thinking this please tell me, and I'll get a tube of the good sealant.

I'm planning on keeping this truck for a while so I'm asking for future times as well.

I would just use the sealant,

I just went through a lot of different Nissan Models and years and the only vehicle I see that uses the second gasket I posted the pic of is the 1994 Maxima, and you can see in the FSM that the housing is different.

page from the FSM below:

5yxah2.jpg

I guess the parts store that sold you the bottom gasket just had wrong info, all the VG33's I looked up use the top gasket.

Edited by ahardb0dy

I bled the air out of the coolant system Sunday afternoon. There was some, & it's blowing alittlebit warmer now. The heat gauge is still dropping a good bit when I run the heat on high tho. It looks like I'll be changing the thermostat soon as I get the extra time.

• 3 weeks later...

I know it's a no no, but I've been running the same cap. When that happened tho the whole top of the radiator inside was a block of ice!

I've come to realize that who ever had the truck last didn't take that good care of it. ?

There hasn't been any major problems, just a bunch of little ones. It's not smoking, knocking, or using oil. I can deal with the rest.

May start a new thread, but what all can make the front shake? My does when I hit a hard bump in the road, or while I'm running 60-70 mph.

CVs are new, bearings are good, balance & alinement have just been done, & no knots on tires.

Only other thing I've notice is the the rod that goes from one side to the other that the boot on it is busted to pieces. At this moment the best description I can give is

"The whatchamacallit, that goes to thingymabobber" real technical I know.

Want to say stabilizer, but not sure.

Just remember steering stabilizers can help reduce steering wear but mask problems.

If what is damaged is the stabilizer, it shouldn't make a difference.

Steering should always been in working order before having a stabilizer. They are not band aids.

That being said get some pics when you get a chance and I'm sure we can figure it out. :thisthreadisworthless:

Just remember steering stabilizers can help reduce steering wear but mask problems.

If what is damaged is the stabilizer, it shouldn't make a difference.

Steering should always been in working order before having a stabilizer. They are not band aids.

That being said get some pics when you get a chance and I'm sure we can figure it out. :thisthreadisworthless:

LOL!! I will get pics from now on!?

I've just figured out how to post, I've got pics on my write up on how to change the thermostat in the how to section. Also in the members rides, too.

So there?

But I will be doing more pics

Yeah just about all water. What I drained out of it had just enough anti-freeze in it to given it a green tint.

To answer your question about the shake it's just in the front. The wheel shakes just for a second after a bump. At 60 it's just till I reach about 67ish.

It's just wierd, & I'm trying to figure it out.

Yeah checked the wheel play couple of weeks ago, they're good. Planning on changing them out when I put manual hubs on anyways.

Could struts cause it? I have the factory set still on it. I can tell both struts and shocks are warn out.

Feels like your on a waterbed after a bump.

• 4 years later...