NO (Nitrous Oxide) Emission - High Reading

vmodi

Got my most recent smog test (for CA) done and passed - thank God!

The only odd reading for very high NO (Nitrous Oxide) - just 20-30ppm from the limit.

I asked a local show what could cause this and they mentioned catalytic converter might be going bad. They also said that the Pathfinder has 4 of them with each costing ~$500 in parts. He quoted $2300 in parts alone!!

So I know I won't have to worry about it for at least two more years but I had to ask - does the R50 really have 4 catalytic converters? And does the cost seem realistic?

Thanks!

high NOX is generally EGR if it was high on the 25mph test

If it was high nox at the 15mph changing cat may help

universal Cats are not that expensive but the muffler shop may stick you for welding the flanges depending on how much they charge it may be cheaper for the bolt on

https://www.catalyticconvertersonline.com/c-nissan-pathfinder-catalytic-converters-19474

Pathfinder has 2 of them, your mechanic is a moron.

OEM ones are $560-ish each; aftermarket ones are significantly cheaper.

I do believe the R50 have 4 cats...a pre-cat and post-cat on each bank...

Edited by Phantom01Pathfinder

I do believe the R50 have 4 cats...a pre-cat and post-cat on each bank...

You're thinking of O2 sensors. There are 4 O2 sensors (pre- and post-cat on each side), but only 2 catalytic converters. Check out page FE-10 of the shop manual.

A poorly performing EGR valve is usually the cause of high NOX emissions. If you do need to replace the catalytic converters, go here for a list of CARB-approved aftermarket options:

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermktcat/aftermktcatdbase.htm

You can provide the list to your SMOG mechanic, who can probably call various vendors to source the parts.

BTW, according to the CARB site, it looks like 96-97's have just two cats (attached to the exhaust manifolds) and 98 and later have 4 cats.

I knew i wasnt :wacko: when i counted 4 underneath...

Could someone take a photo of the 4 cats please? I've spent quite a bit of time under my rig and I've only seen 2.

Agree with the EGR thought - the lower combustion temps of the recirc keeps less NOx from forming.

Talked to another mechanic who said R50 has 2 cats but based on CARB link (thanks XPLORx4!) it seems R50 has 4.

Test Group Name Application Type Part Manufacturer Manufacturer Part Number Cert Standard Executive Order Exhaust Config Total Converters Catalyst Location Catalyst Part Type WNSXT03.335A ALL Airtek, Inc. 712005 LEV1 LEV D-280-42 (RESCINDED) DUAL 4 Underbody UNIVERSAL WNSXT03.335A ALL Airtek, Inc. 712005 LEV1 LEV D-280-46 (RESCINDED) DUAL 4 Underbody UNIVERSAL WNSXT03.335A ALL Airtek, Inc. 312009 LEV1 LEV D-280-81 DUAL 4 Front of the vehicle UNIVERSAL WNSXT03.335A ALL Airtek, Inc. 312005 LEV1 LEV D-280-81 DUAL 4 Rear of the vehicle UNIVERSAL WNSXT03.335A ALL International Muffler Company 656901 LEV1 LEV D-560-5 DUAL 4 Rear of the vehicle UNIVERSAL WNSXT03.335A ALL Walker Manufacturing Company 81751 LEV1 LEV D-182-52 DUAL 4 Front Left of the vehicle (Driver Side) DIRECT FIT WNSXT03.335A ALL Walker Manufacturing Company 81752 LEV1 LEV D-182-52 DUAL 4 Front Right of the vehicle (Passenger Side) DIRECT FIT WNSXT03.335A ALL Walker Manufacturing Company 81901 LEV1 LEV D-182-52 DUAL 4 Rear Left (Driver Side) UNIVERSAL WNSXT03.335A ALL Walker Manufacturing Company 81901 LEV1 LEV D-182-52 DUAL 4 Rear Right of the vehicle (Passenger Side) UNIVERSAL

Me still thinks 2:

http://www.courtesyparts.com/pathfinder-parts-r50-1996-2004/genuine-nissan-parts/exhaust-cooling/208-catalyst-converter/-c-4700_4701_4724_4726.html

But I'd love to see the pic's of 4!!! It's not because I don't believe you, I've just never seen it before.

BTW - mine is a California model...bought and drivin there for it's first 6 years of life.

A lot of people get the Pathfinder resonators confused with a catalytic converter because they look almost exactly like one. These are not Cats, they are indeed resonators. I had mine cut out by a muffler shop and replaced with straight pipe. I looked down them once removed and the resonators are hollow with a small baffle and some sound deadening materials. They also have the habit of splitting at the seams and create a lot of noise under the pathfinder.

Here is a link and pick of what the resonators look like and a possible fix: http://forums.nicocl...em-t437114.html

Nissan Calls it a Tube Assembly – Exhaust, Front, Part # 20010 as shown here, depending on the year it is a straight tube or resonator: http://www.courtesyp..._4724_4725.html

Is this what people are referring to as the 3rd and 4th “Cat”?

Edited by edolmseth