350 Or Rebuild Vg33E?

pathyboy12

I was thinking about buying a Chevy with a 350 and manual transmission, then swap it into a pathy. And SAS. duel carb, forged piston, crank, cams. Whole nine yards.

Or rebuild my pathy motor? Maybe bore and stroke. Forged piston, crank, cam. Everything

What's your guys thoughts?

Not worth it IMHO.

If you want the zoom factor, either buy a second gen R50 truck, or swap a 3.5L engine from second gen R50 into your truck. Will be a lot easier then trying to retro fit the other engine and tranny into your rig. Would likely also be cheaper than rebuilding your engine with those high performance parts.

Well if you are a big gear head and really like to constantly tune/adjust your engine in new/different ways, then maybe the 350 is the way to go. But the 3.5L has a lot of zoom and power in it with pretty much nothing else needed. I have the power to get down pretty much any trail, as well as able to smoke little ricers off the line ;)

In the end it all depends on how much money you want to dump into it. While you might have a nice engine it in, the truck is still 13+ years old. Unless you intend to keep it for a long time, you likely won't get anywhere near the money you put in it. Is like the people who rip out the stock stereo in a car and put $2000 in a new radio, speakers, subs, etc. Yet when they go to sell the car they realize that they can't get anywhere near that $2000 back, and if they are luckily they might get $500 more for the car because of the upgraded system.

Once my motor goes Im probly switching to a V8...

Id love to see someone do it first lol, obviously youd probly lose alot of your luxury items and have to do alot of fabrication and one off pieces and problems, possibly even may have to make a bigger tunnel for the trans. a/c would probly be lost

If you stayed with a carbed engine though, it would probly be very do-able depending on your skill level

yeah, im leanin twords the 350.... i have a garage full of tools and such. and a guy who has rebuilt a couple of chevys. i do plan on keepin the pathy for as long as i can, not gona sell it, run it till i dont have any money to fix her. i know itll be coastly and take a while but then ill have one unique pathy with some power....

wish I had a 3.5

Ive got the 3.5 and wish there were more parts available for it :( not as quick as Id like it to be

yeah, im leanin twords the 350.... i have a garage full of tools and such. and a guy who has rebuilt a couple of chevys. i do plan on keepin the pathy for as long as i can, not gona sell it, run it till i dont have any money to fix her. i know itll be coastly and take a while but then ill have one unique pathy with some power....

And converting to 2wd Id assume

Why convert to 2wd? He can get chevy 4x4 trans. He'll need the chevy axle, which is OK since it already has 6 lugs to match the rear. The punpkin will be on the opposite side from stock, but that don't matter. Its very doable. And a chevy trans is really not that much bigger than the Nissan one.

I say go for the 350 man. being that its carb'd, you won't have to deal with the electrical gremlins, so in that sense it'll be easy. Hard part is mounting it, but if you have basic fab skills and are good at welding, should be cake (if you're not good at welding, find someone who is!).

Jose

Yeah, I have most of it figured out... everything will fit and match up. Only thing is with the bigger radiator and extra cylinders Idk if the engine bay is long enough.... I know It's not wide enough, and I'm gona have to cut a little bit... also would it be deep enough?

Not worth it IMHO.

If you want the zoom factor, either buy a second gen R50 truck, or swap a 3.5L engine from second gen R50 into your truck. Will be a lot easier then trying to retro fit the other engine and tranny into your rig. Would likely also be cheaper than rebuilding your engine with those high performance parts.

The 3.5 has been surpassed by the 4.0, if anyone is going to do a swap to a 3.5 they might as well go the the R51 4.0 considering they are pretty much the same engine.

The Chevy 350 swap sounds like a cool idea, I would probably put more money into performance mods on my truck but I am deciding now that the R50 is a bit to week structurally invest to much more money in. If you do do the swap and an SAS at the same time it would probably be a good Idea to beef up the front frame rails if you can figure out a good way to do it, or you can just go the way Tyler went and replace the front frame with a new one.

I don't think an SBC would fit well in an R50 by the time you had everything packaged.

That said, simplicity is not an issue. A small block needs nothing other than 12 volts, two coolant hoses, a single fuel line, a transmission, exhaust, and motor mounts to be runnable.

I think if I was going to do an engine swap in an R50, it would either be a VQ v6, or a Ford 302. The 302 is a lot smaller and lighter than an SBC.

do you have emissions there? i know if i were to do that swap here, my rig would become a trailer queen since its all odbII readings. i dont know how i would go about getting it relicensed every year

have you looked into the vh45 swap? there's one in progress in the hardcore swap section, though not much progress has been made on it in a while

do you have emissions there? i know if i were to do that swap here, my rig would become a trailer queen since its all odbII readings. i dont know how i would go about getting it relicensed every year

have you looked into the vh45 swap? there's one in progress in the hardcore swap section, though not much progress has been made on it in a while

Actually, the VH45 part was done long ago. He just changed routes when he decided to SAS it.

You really dont think a SBC would fit in there length and width wise??

I figured we had tons of room for it and that would never be a problem

I thought trans tunnel/rear end would be the big hurdle

Here are some dimensions for Chevy engines including the SBC. http://www.tbucketeers.com/page/index.html/_/articles/engines/sbc-dimensions-r23

For inexpensive go fast parts/huge after market, on-line available tuning knowledge, and many different configurations such as oil pans, and parts interchangability it is hard to beat a SBC for a custom project.

The O/A dimensions are essentially the same from the first 265 through to the LT1 and from the smallest 262 to the biggest 400.

To save front to rear room look to get an earlier design water pump (I think '68 and older). Also consider putting an eletric fan in front of the rad. The late 60s 2wd GM 4 speed manual gear boxes are quite small, not sure about the 4x4/tcase versions though - possibly an S series tcase would work. I recommend an Edlebrock carb as I think they have a off-road model with the vent tubes connected, look for a drop base air cleaner to maximize hood clearance if needed. Or make a custom cowl hood. Shorty headers may offer some space savings, not sure.

The old ford 260s were very narrow if that is what is needed, they used those on the old Sunbeam Tigers - not many NA V8s fit old British cars.

Do you happen to have a good read on some basics to know when simply taking a big crate 350 and putting it into another RWD chassis and making it work, things like how to know where to place the motor, angle/height, centering, custom driveshaft and shift linkage. Basically what problems other than space people go through when throwing an SBC in a car not meant for it.

Although I see it being far easier to do an SBC in out cars than in a miata amongst other cars some people are shoehorning them into, weve got some room and no problems with motor height clearance

Edited by WOT