Replacing the Timing Belt & Adding an AT Cooler

DoctorBill

that long bolt should go through the timing cover, through the water pump, through the hole in the gasket and into the block. My guess is that your gasket slipped a bit. You should really try to get this in place as it is one of the bolts that holds your WP in place.

I suppose I could run a drill bit in there to see what is blocking the bolt.

I can use the old one to judge the depth - so I don't harm the engine block.

The Water Pump is held in place (where cooland flows) by those six big M8 bolts.

Water Pump Post #33

Over on the left there, no coolant flows at all.

I will see what I can do - now is the time to do it !

DoctorBill

yea... been there a few times. It never fails that when I throuw a little gasket tack on the thing and install it, the holes don't quite line up. I got to the point where I just put a couple bolts through (includign that one) to hold the gasket in place as I align the waterpump. on one gasket I had, I even had to snip that long skinny part that does nothing but hold the outer edge part of the gasket in the (supposed) proper place. It was off by nearly half the hole opening.

You could use a drill bit and just rotate it by hand to cut the paper. A pick may work also to destroy the blockage then just run the bolt into the threads, paper pieces and all. There is enough play around the bolt length to accomodate the gasket pieces so you need not really worry about picking all the parts out.

Great job on the thread. You deserve a cigar and a nice shady tree.

The long bolt shown would not even start to thread in ! Like there is no threaded hole

at the bottom of the hole in the water Pump. I even checked with a small phillips head

screwdriver. Strange. I don't think it is important, however.

DoctorBill

Hope you're right!!!!

All the Timing Belt Covers are on.

That single hole on the left side that takes the long 6 M bolt lines up with the Covers

and the Water Pump.

I used a long thick wire with a sharp end and put it in my Drill.

Don't have a drill long enough to get to the back end.

Ran the wire in the drill into the hole and no paper came out

on the end after spinning it and pushing hard.

I looked into the hole with a hand mirror and 9 LED Flashight.

I see metal reflecting back at me at the end of the hole.

This is very odd....

Even a thin wire spun in there did not go into any off center hole.

If the hole was off just a bit, the thin wire would have gone into it.

How can the WP and Cover line up but the hole supposedly under there be gone ?

Everything on the Old WP lined up - the New WP lines up, but I cannot see

even an off center hole at the bottom via the mirror.... !

As a last resort, I put a sharp 4 inch Drywall Screw into the hole and drilled it

in with a Phillips Head bit - didn't move a millimeter.

If the Gasket were the only thing blocking that hole, the drywall screw would have

pierced it and would have at least tried to go into an off center hole. Nothing....

I give up.

I am not going to disassemble the entire thing to find it.

The six 8 MM bolts will have to hold it - plus that hole half way over from the

actual water pump....8.5 inches in the picture below.

Water Pump Back Side

What can I do ? It will have to suffice.

A lesson to those reading this....check every damned thing - everything....

Onward !

DoctorBill

Edited by DoctorBill

throw the bolt in a baggie and label it. next time you are in there (if your WP fails etc), you will at least have the bolt available. Of course, if you are like me and put it someplace clever that you're sure you will remember... well... let's just say that I have replaced several items that I had placed somewhere clever.

Oh well.

Carry-on. Get that monster back together

throw the bolt in a baggie and label it. next time you are in there (if your WP fails etc), you will at least have the bolt available. Of course, if you are like me and put it someplace clever that you're sure you will remember... well... let's just say that I have replaced several items that I had placed somewhere clever.

Oh well.

Carry-on. Get that monster back together

I thought I was the only person who puts things away in a 'clever place' and then

forgets where that place was.....now I feel more "normal"...lol

It is going into the Glove Compartment....

Along with all the eight other parts I have left over.

lol....just kidding folks ! I have only three parts left over.....

Now today I am going to get the AT Cooler all assembled (Hoses and Barbs), and attach it

to the inside of the AC Radiator.

Haven't quite decided how yet...

It comes with long plastic wire-like thingies that go thru the fins of both radiators (with a

bit of spreading) and bind the two together.

HaydenCooler.jpg

However, I saw, on 88Pathfinder's pictures, that he used those tie-binder things

(for holding bunched wires together) to do the job. I like that better, for some reason.

I may just go over to our "Hardware Store" and buy two Brass 90° ends to make the installation neater.

It will go onto the backside of the AC Radiator essentially as pictured above.

Inlet on the bottom - outlet will be the top barb.

I bought 4 ft of 1/4 " ID / 3/8" OD copper tubing from a roll ($15 !) to make connections.

Wasn't necessary, but it should make the whole thing easier to run thru those confined spaces.

What concerns me as a "scientist" is the vibration of the two radiators and subsequent

rubbing together that will happen.

The Cooler comes with foam rubber pads - but will they not get hard and eventually

turn to crap as all rubber and plastic stuff does when it gets hot and oily ?

DoctorBill

PS - We are having our house sided with vinyl siding and I have to cut some vines down -

so I may not get much done tomorrow.

Edited by DoctorBill

Ran into a new problem installing the AT Cooler.

Of the two AT Hoses in the picture below, I don't know which one is input and which is output...

NewTensioner.jpg

The two 'pipes' disappear back under the engine and it is so tight in there, that I can't tell what goes where.

I will set up the Cooler today with Copper Tubing and make both close together so that

I can switch the AT Hoses once I determine the input vs output.

Pictures coming in a few hours. Have to fix a toilet handle...

Am I alone in this thing where I am "Mr. Fix'it" for EVERYTHING ?

It is a huge responsibility and a burden I shoulder with great care....

Is it too early for a beer...?

DoctorBill

Of the two AT Hoses in the picture below, I don't know which one is input and which is output...

NewTensioner.jpg

The two 'pipes' disappear back under the engine and it is so tight in there, that I can't tell what goes where.

I cannot yet run the engine w/o coolant and since I am installing the AT Cooler between the two rad's -

I can't run the engine....

I will set up the Cooler today with Copper Tubing and make both close together so that

DoctorBill

NewTensioner.jpg

I cannot yet run the engine w/o coolant and since I am installing the AT Cooler between the two rad's -

I can't run the engine....to see which hose squirts !

DoctorBill

PS - Off Topic.....Americans ! Look at this ! Re-introduced as an amendment...probably will pass in the current Congress !

Another One !

Edited by DoctorBill

When I installed mine I didn't bother with which hose was which because my cooler wasn't directional. It didn't matter which was which because the fluid still flowed through it and didn't cause any problems.

When I installed mine I didn't bother with which hose was which because my cooler wasn't directional.

It didn't matter which was which because the fluid still flowed through it and didn't cause any problems.

OK...but mine is directional.

I must put the input hose at the bottom so air bubbles rise to the top and

get pushed out back to the AT instead of filling the Cooler Radiator with air.

Bill

In your picture the one on the left is the output.

Great ! Thanks a lot.

The left hose is long and went into the Radiator on the right side (facing the engine)

and the right one (short hose) went to the left radiator side.

Is that the way it came from the factory ?

I'd be outside working on the piping and such, but we are having a heat wave !

So I'm here typing this and watching the News on Satellite TV.

Watching a certain political party self destruct. Unbelievable arrogance...

DoctorBill

Edited by DoctorBill

Simple, no...

In your picture the one on the left is the output.

Sorry, but do NOT use this as gospel. If there has been work done, even the starter replaced, the lines could have been disturbed. Mine criss cross a few times out of sight...

The only way to be certain is to trace the line back to the tranny. I believe the one that goes to the tranny 1/2 way down on the drivers side is the outflow from the tranny, but I'll have to double check that when I get home.

Of course, you can just hold both hoses in the air and have someone start the truck. The one that looks like a severed artery is the one you want on the bottom, but I don't care for that method... :D

B

Unbelievable arrogance...

Doesn't that describe all of them??

After the temp fell to 82° outside, I installed the AT Cooler behind the AC Radiator.

The four foam rubber pads were applied to the very corners of the Cooler Radiator

and the Cooler was held in place with Cable Ties instead of the black holders that

came with the unit.

Here are views from both sides of the Engine Compartment...

ATCoolerRad-1.jpg

ATCoolerRad-2.jpg

Tomorrow I will shape the 1/4 inch Copper Tubing to run down between the AC Radiator and the Cooling radiator

mount to the AT fluid hoses.

There is a slot between the mounts which is a perfect place to run that Copper Tubing thru.

Shaping the Copper Tubing is not all that easy as it wants to collapse.

Maybe I should shove some synthetic Rope down the Copper Tubing to keep it from

collapsing as I bend it - then I can pull the Rope out when done.

I'll leave the two Copper Tube ends protruding just below the Main Radiator.

That way when I get this baby running, I can drain the AT and hook'er up.

All that is left is installing the AC Compressor Tensioner Pulley Assembly,

connecting the odds and ends, Putting on the Belts, installing the Main Radiator

(after I clean the fins with the hose), install the Fan, and spark plugs.

God - I hate messing with those spark plugs !

Does anyone have a easy method of getting that back plug back in ?

I looked in the Chilton Manual for 'Capacities' and see that the AT holds 9 quarts !

That is over two gallons ! Lord !

My fluid now is kind of reddish colored - I think it is OK, but I have Wal-Mart's

SuperTech Dexron-III and Mercon compatible fluid read to go.

More to come....

DoctorBill

PS - Watch FoxNews and witness the self destruction of our "Leaders" in

Washington, DC....(District of Corruption)

This is History in the making folks...

What sort of a day was it ?

A day like all days, filled with those events

which alter and illuminate our times.

...and you were there!

The FSM shows the "oil cooler out tube" to be in the far rear drivers side, centerline. The "oil cooler in tube" is on the passenger side, 1/4 way down from the engine on the bottom. I tried to find a program to convert a PDF or screen shot into jpg or whatnot, but didn't have mush success in the time I had. Perhaps in a few days... :shrug:

B

I cannot yet run the engine w/o coolant

You can, but for very short time (5 seconds or so). It will be enough to see, which hose squirts.

Also, you can disconnect central wire from distributor, ground it (to prevent coil damage) and rotate engine with starter. But i don't know, maybe it will be enough to bring Dexron pump into life...

Of course, you can just hold both hoses in the air and have someone start the truck. The one that looks like a severed artery is the one you want on the bottom, but I don't care for that method... :D

That's how I did mine. both lines into a bucket, start the truck for all of 2-3 seconds, and have someone watch the lines....

Hey Doc I called my local Nissan Dealer and they told me that they would charge me 700.00 :thumbsdown: to do my timing belt I laugh my a@@ off! I'll wait and use this forum to attempt changing it myself. Hey I only paid 900.00 for the Pathfinder!!!

Allow me to address some of your comments and explain my reasoning.

K9sar -

"you mounted it BEHIND the radiator? Are you sure your fan will clear it? Mine is installed on the front."

I wanted to mount my Cooler Radiator in the horizontal format. Why?

If you mount the radiator Vertically....

If any of the DOWN FLOW coil tubes are vertical, the fluid can dribble down them and the air

will rise to the top (as all air does in liquids) and so those tubes may be filled with air and stay that way.

This will substantially cut the heat flow from leaving those tubes into the fins.

If you mount the radiator horizontally with flow from the bottom to the top....

The air in the system will go with the fluid since gravity is not acting on the air/fluid mixture as

it will in a vertical tube.

Thus air cannot get trapped as it can in the vertical format.

With that reasoning in mind...I could not mount the AT Cooler Radiator horizontally on the front

of the AC Radiator due to that center pillar in front of the AC Radiator (see photos).

I was thus left with two options.

1. Mount it between the AC Radiator and the main radiator

-or-

2. Mount it behind the main radiator.

I am not sure the Cooler radiator would clear the fan if option #2 was used.

Even if it worked, how would I get the tubes to clear the Fan Shroud ?

Option #1 seemed best.

Here is a scan of part of the Hayden Instructions showing where one can put the Cooler.

HaydenInstructions-1.jpg

Personally, I doubt the AT Cooler will operate at 75% efficiency...I think it willbe higher than that

since the AC Radiator is quite clean now and will not be used in cool weather anyway....(?)

Just my humble opinion....

Blackspawn -

"...my local Nissan Dealer and they told me that they would charge me $700 to do my timing belt."

Ya...me too !

I don't have that kind of "disposable income" as it is called. "F" them !

I have done some automotive work - AutomotiveForums transmission Rebuild

that plus rebuilding my Geo Metro Engine...so I am not too afraid to do this....lol.

This was FUN (since I have no time constraints) and gave me something to do (while saving me $400)

besides watching FoxNews all day showing me how my country is self-destructing, how my Health Care

Insurance I have from my Retirement is going to be ruined, how they have put me, my children and their

Children in debt for 50 years, how they are working to take away my guns and my freedom to choose a gas

guzzling Pathfinder (screw their "Junker Trade In" - they will have to take it from my Cold, Dead Fingers!),

to force me to drive a "Smart Car".....

Frankly - I'd rather change my Timing Belt and add an AT Cooler and be in peace for a while at least....

BTW - I only paid $1,000 for my Gas Guzzling, Air Polluting Nissan 4x4 Pathfinder...!

So....as Earl Pitts says, "..be it so !"

Question - are any of you going to forward my comments to the White House and turn me in ?!

Will the thought Police be visiting my house when the coup de'tat happens ?

DoctorBill

Personally, I doubt the AT Cooler will operate at 75% efficiency...I think it willbe higher than that

since the AC Radiator is quite clean now and will not be used in cool weather anyway....(?)

Of course. Unfortunately hot weather is when you will use the A/C and reduce the tranny cooling efficiency that you need at the time.

Still, it is better than nothing. :shrug:

B

Yes, in hot weather the AC Radiator will be warm (hot?) - has anyone ever felt the AC Radiator when the AC

is runnng on a hot day ?

How hot does it get ? Hottest where, top or bottom ?

That damned pillar in front messes up cooler placement - one like mine, that is.

Had I bought one of different format, with the hose barbs coming out the sides instead of the top,

I could have put it up front like this person did...who's picture is this ? I cannot remember...!

I copied it to do, but bought the wrong configuration because I wasn't paying close enough attention !

Truck013-1.jpg

Let that be a lesson to anyone reading this....pay very close attention to all this detail...

I had opened the box and wrapping and then waited too long to exchange it.

I got so absorbed in the Timing Belt, that I didn't pay close attention to the Cooler configuration.

Anyway - if you are hauling some heavy butt around, turn off the AC and give the AT a break.

However - on the other hand, someone here had said that by putting the AT Cooler behind the main radiator,

the AT would always be running at the engine temp which is where is is supposed to run, anyway.

So, there is that..

I don't know...good enough for government work.

Besides, our Pathfinders will be illegal to own soon enough.

They contribute a heavy carbon footprint to the atmosphere.

Get used to the idea of driving in a 'Smart Car' ! You vill like it !

What we would probably do is modify the Smart Car to our own way of thinking...

ReallySmartCar.jpg

DoctorBill

Edited by DoctorBill