Sounds like I ran over R2-D2

Donnavon

OK I have a 95XE 4x4 with an auto (external cooler)

Ok here is the deal, when I am driving, in any gear, if I go over about half throttle it starts to whistle/whine. It sounds exactly like when R2-D2 get shot in the X-wing fighter and continues to make that noise until I go below half throttle. (sounds dumb but it sounds exactly like that) family actually laughs about it in when it happens

It does not do it when it is in park at any rpm

it does not do it while rolling (at speed) and in neutral at any rpm

it does do it in any gear mainly under load and stops immediatly after throttle imput is decreased

I do not know if it does it in 4x, cannot remember.

Edited by Donnavon

when I am driving, in any gear, if I go over about half throttle it starts to whistle/whine.

Is it at the same RPM? Is there any loss of power or change in performance at all?

My manual 95xe has a whistle noise from the intake at certain rpms, my auto 95xe doesn't. Only difference is a cat back system on the manual... :shrug:

B

Personally I think it's the fuel injectors being noisy.

If you really want a trip, find a sweet spot where it makes the most noise, and turn on your BRIGHTS. On mine, the noise changes tone and sometimes goes away. lol.

anybody figure this out yet? Mine does it when I am over half throttle and over 3k rpm. I had put a used engine in my rig when I bought it so I have been babying it (easy on the throttle, shift early, etc.) till I was sure everything was good then I started running the Revs up. Thats when R2D2 showed up. I started looking for X-wings.

Very ironic topic cuz lately mine has been emmiting a strange lower kind of "foghorn or growl"pitched noise and it only happens when I first crank it and drive. It'll last for 2-3 minutes then stop. Even if I've let the truck warm up for several minutes it will still happen when I start to drive. I've just pretty much decided its an intake noise. It sure is weird it'll only happen during acceleration, so I'm unable to pop the hood and have a look around. Guess I should do another intake cleaning and see if it will quit.

Good luck on this other noise,hope you get her figured out.

• 6 months later...
Use a mechanics stethescope, a metal rod or a screw driver to listen. Injectors click or tap, they do not whistle...

B

MIne does the same.....thought it might be a bad catalytic converter? Or a lose bracket or something on the exhaust.

Only does it at half or so throttle .....full throttle no 1/4 throttle all quiet....

Sure would be nice to get rid of it.....no remedies found yet?

I've got that damn whistle on my 95 too. I never heard it from my 92 though. It only kicks in around 3k and is most noticeable in the lower gears. I thought it might be the A/C tensioner pulley bearing.

O.K. a little more....research... it (R2-D2 squeeeeeel) starts at 2,100 RPM. and stops when you hit the gas, or let off.

Could it be transmission in nature??? God I hope not....it doesn't seem to effect handling, power etc. etc.

Just damn annoying .....mabe I just need to get the new stereo in it, turn it up and not worry about it? :wtf:

Before dropping the pan, pull the dipstick and check the color and smell of the tranny fluid...if it warrants a flush, drop pan and proceed...as the pan isn't the easiest to drop and check for chunks... :02:

• 4 weeks later...
Before dropping the pan, pull the dipstick and check the color and smell of the tranny fluid...if it warrants a flush, drop pan and proceed...as the pan isn't the easiest to drop and check for chunks... :02:

have not been on here in some time, crazy to see that this post is still active. R2 is still alive and well, but I removed my A/C belt today and it is mostly gone. I am thinking of taking her out for a quick spin with no belts this W/E.

I am having a ticking from the motor on the passenger side (most likely the common cause) I cannot find any problems, gonna do a seafoam treatment and that should show me the leaks origination point :crossedwires: . I cleaned and reassembled the rocker rail assemblies, lifter holder and rebuilt the lifters today and the tick is still there.

Found the problem!!!

The exhaust gasket just forward of the precat right after the y comes in had a copper gasket that was made of several copper plies. well there was a leak and the separated plies were acting like a reed in a musical instrument

• 2 weeks later...

I call mine the spaceship when it makes this sound, first time i heard it was this past summer and ive owned the truck for 2 years, it has done it 2 times usually after i drive it hard... once i drive nice again it goes away, the noise got louder as the revs went up until about 3000 or 3500 where i couldnt hear it anymore. and i have 93 stickshift...