Rear Spring Options For Lifting Your WD21 Pathy

88pathoffroad

http://www.calmini.com/detail.php?b=1&m=3&t=2&p=623&n=

http://www.calmini.com/detail.php?b=1&m=3&t=2&p=624&n=

http://www.calmini.com/detail.php?b=1&m=3&t=2&p=626&n=

Will all these things give me a 3" lift and be ok to run on my Rancho RS5000's? I know they say 2.5" is the max lift but would it be a big deal to do a 3" lift? And is this all I need?

• 3 months later...

So the progressive rate ones are no good?

I used the variable rate springs and look what the outcome was...

100914115400.jpg

I found some new ones on rockauto for cheaper and no laobr trying to remove them from the junk yard!

Moog Part # CC780 on rockauto.com

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=201280&cc=1182192

• 2 weeks later...

Is there a write up anywhere of installing the springs to the Pathy? What to loosen/remove, where to jack from etc. I have been looking and cant find the info anywhere. Would love to see some procedure instead of just wingin' it...

The other week I went and picked up some JGC springs at Pick&Pull. The thread telling how to yard them out was pretty plain and it took me no time at all to get them out. This morning I re-indexed my torsion bars and was ready to install the new springs but could find no procedure on how to do it. After getting hold of Trogdor and him giving me some instruction and motivation I decided to just do it. It was super easy. But Precise1 wanted me to post the before and after height and spring dimensions so here they are:

Spring with pig tail cut off:

18 1/2" long

8 full coils (and a bit more)

.563 thick

OD 5 1/4"

The height to the centerline of the body crease(at bottom of door) right in front of the rear tires was 19 3/8" before the spring change and after it was 20 1/2". Less lift than I was hoping but I don't think my original springs were sagging any noticeable degree.

Anyway Precise1 feel free to move this info where you think it will do the most good, I am hoping the spring rate of the JGC springs is higher to offset the minimal gain in clearance. I think after the 3" body lift all will be grand.... Here is the pic from after the suspension work today.

IMG_0057_zps992fd10a.jpg

Edited by SkiBumBrian

I'm a big fan of copy&paste myself when it comes to info redistribution. ;)

Thanks for the info on your springs! Do you have the info for the stock ones to compare to?

So you only got 2" of lift? Your existing springs must be in very good shape, or not stock...

B

Just went and measured the springs I took off. .52 thick, 17" long, 8 coils. Does that sound stock? Are there different springs with the off road package?

Edited by SkiBumBrian

All north american WD21 use the same rear spring. There were no variations on this model.

PART NUMBER: 55020-41G02

DESCRIPTION: SPRING-REAR

Edited by Alkorahil

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Gents, I know this subject has been beat to death. I found some coils on Ebay (I would rather pay a little more and not have to deal with finding a donor vehicle). That being said, I found a Moog CC782 Spring. I looked up the stats on it.

Could someone tell me if this would work? Being that a Pathy is roughly 4,000 pounds, and the springs are rated at 503 pounds, would that sag really bad? A lot of that weight is going to be in front, due to the engine, but I don't really want to take any chances. :suicide:

Here is the chart I was looking at: http://classiccarsprings.com/coil-spring-specifications.html

Aaaaand, here is what I'm looking to buy: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Moog-CC782-Variable-Rate-Coil-Springs-Front-/400563014683?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A1996%7CMake%3AJeep%7CModel%3AGrand+Cherokee%7CSubmodel%3ALimited%7CEngine+-+Liter_Display%3A5.2L&hash=item5d436a8c1b&vxp=mtr#ht_1624wt_932

Any insight to this would be greatly appreciated.

They have the pig tail on them and look kinda feeble. Just go to 4x4parts. com and get some there. I got some springs off a JGC and really didn't lift much. Worth it to just go to a reputable retailer and know what you are getting.

• 4 weeks later...

I can see how old this thread is, yet, people like myself still refer to it. I weighed my options of $50 at the local junk yard for JGC springs or buying new ones from rockauto. I ended up with CC782 springs for a V8 JGC, now i'm worried before I install them I have essentially wasted my benjamins.

I've read on here where people are getting lift, some are not, and some are having all the soft progressive coils smash together.

Should I bother wasting time and effort just for disappointment or send them back and go a different route.

I'm looking for a bit of a lift just to straighten the damn thing out.

I've replaced the springs already with another set from rockauto that were for the pathfinder. Having hopes of possibly a 1" lift, I was very disappointed to see the rear in fact dropped and now sags lower than stock.

• 3 months later...

I picked up a pair of .550 coils, blue tag. It gave my pathfinder with the rear carrier about 1" to 1 1/2" lift. I actually forgot to measure before I installed the jgc springs. So I don't have an exact measurement.

• 1 month later...

dose anyone know if the front coil spring off a 09 rubicon will fit my 87 paty? 4 inside and 2 3/4 at the pig tail 18 1/2 long. If not should i just get some jgc springs off a 93-96 jgc and if i do get the jgc springs what do i need to do for them to fit. Also i'm looking for new coil spring spacers for my pathy but need from Nissan them salf. If i can get some help please that would be great. p.s. I would need a drop down track bar link to right

I have a 87 pathy and i have front coil spring off a 09 tj that i wont to try out. Has anyone try using any 09 tj front coil springs before? I have to cut a pig tail off and i should be set i think lol.

If someone sends me a picture with some measurements of the spring seat, i could make spacers for you guys.... ... anyone interested ?

lots of guys have asked.... I have a stock set of springs sitting here in a box I never shipped out so I can take measurements is someone needs them.

Spring outer and inner dimension at the base of the spring are needed. But i also need a picture and drawing of the spring SEAT . WIth this i will make the spacers ! Who's helping for a free pair of spacers?