Offroading in the snow

dogy2003

Yeah, so I got the bright idea that it would be a fun to hit up one of my favorite trails, and it turned out to be a bad decision. So I pull up to the trail head, and find a huge snow bank, but instead of turning around I figured that since we have gotten a bunch of rain in the past couple days that the trail woulden't have too much snow on it. So I went off the trail a bit into the woods and got back on the trail once I got around the snow bank and continued down the path. There was about 4 inches of slushy, wet snow ontop of ice, so it wasn't too bad, but about 10 mins of going down hill I slid off the trail and the left side of my truck sunk into about 2 feet of snow/mud.

I messed around for a bit and then started calling people. I ended up getting hold of one of my buddies who has a jeep and he came down after about an hour of me waiting. When he pulled up his truck did the same thing mine did about 10 feet from me. So two vehicles down, and I'm still stuck. Luckily he had a tractor and his house wasn't too far away (like 5 mins from the trail head), so we hiked up to his house, got the tractor running and started down the trail again, and as soon as we rounded a corner and saw both of our trucks, the radiator hose on the tractor blows! To keep you up to date we now have three trucks stuck or broken in the woods. So I started calling people again, and got another one of my buddies to come and help. So another hour goes by and we meet him at the end of the trail (the trail is a logging road, so it has an entrance and an exit) and started digging away at the snow bank at the bottom. So this kid has a lifted 1500, with not too bad tires so we figured that if he could make it up the hill a bit (about 1000 yards from the end is where all of out trucks are) then maby he could just yank my truck out, and this whole problem would be over.

Well, that also didn't really work, because about 50 feet up the trail his truck sank into 2-3 feet of snow/mud/water, but thankfully he was close enough to the road, so another gut he brought along was able to pull him out. So we called a few more people and got about 10 guys there with the hopes that we could some how push my truck back onto the trail, and I could build up some momentum for the end of the trail and make it back onto the road. So I started this whole ordeal at about 4 pm and it's now 7, my clothes are soaking, it dark, and I'm starting to come to terms with the fact that I might have to leave my truck here over night and try again tomarrow. In one last attempt to puch the truck to freedom, we were able to get the truck out of the rut, and back onto the trail!!!!!! I didn't stop the rest of the way down, and I bombed throught the deep @!*% (some how) at the end of the trail. I did however rip off my splash guard in the process (plastic???wtf). We gave a half-hearted attempt at getting the jeep un-stuck, but the jeep just couldn't handle it (LOL).

So what lesson did I learn? Well, offroading in deep snow isn't for me! Was not a fun experience, and tomarrow I still have to go and rescue the jeep, which is spending the night, and then we need to dig the tractor out, put a new hose in, and pray to got it works(it took about half an hour to get it started in the first place). So what have you guys been up to this weekend?

JUST GOT BACK FROM SNOW WHEELIN. HAHAHAHA only our day started at around 9 this morning. :blink:

same here. snow wheeling.

broke two front axle shafts, broke rear yoke, twisted rear Dshaft, poped a front ujoint and blew a water pump. it was a good day!

get a winch!

Sorry, I didn't bring the camera, and I'm kicking my self that I didn't even take a picture with my phone while it was still light out. Next time though...... when the snow melts!

leaving a truck stuck in water/snow can be a bad thing...I knew a guy who ended up trashing his whole truck b/c they left it stuck in a mud hole over night when it got down to like 20...it ended up knocking 3 tires off the wheels (i guess from the water expanding as it froze) and he cracked his exhaust and some other things but after the tow I think it cost him about $800 to get everything fixed...snow/mud/ice and a cold night can be bad

I also knew another guy that got stuck with exhaust under water and got a ride to get gas cans with gas and let it idle all night long periodically spinning the tires so it wouldnt suck up water or freeze and stayed the whole night with it till the AM and got pulled out...

I also knew another guy that got stuck with exhaust under water and got a ride to get gas cans with gas and let it idle all night long periodically spinning the tires so it wouldnt suck up water or freeze and stayed the whole night with it till the AM and got pulled out...

Now that's some love for your rig.

thetraillb1.jpg

Here's a pic of the trail, those ruts are from my truck. Keep in mind that I haven't lifted my truck yet so it was a little more than the pathy could handle, LOL. That's the jeep that spent two nights out there, but we did get it out today, little sand, some muscle and some creative maneuvering fixed the problem.

Edited by dogy2003

Umm, i actually don't know what size the tires are, I know there stock so yeah. Everything's fine, the foreward part of the splash guard got ripped off, but what ever; it's just plastic. The ground under the trail was all frozen and icy, and at the end of the trail it was all mud and water.

I feel your pain! http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=17239

Luckily our tractor didn't break down.

Theres a thread on another forum I'm a member of where a couple nights ago some guys were up at the mud flats and a few of their vehicles stuck. A few burnt winches and calls for help later it took three winches simultaneously to pull out the final vehicle (a grand cherokee). They broke the front axle, but stayed with it over night and managed to get parts and fix it in the bush. Pretty crazy stuff.

Haha, had a similar experience with my buddies jeep. last fall, the last weekend before wheelin was pretty much done for the season...

We went up to empire CO. One side of the mountain had a couple snow drifts, but was mostly dirt, and some mud.

First, my buddies lifted jeep gets stuck in one of the snow drifts, on the cb i hear, "hey dude, don't come in, i'm stuck, pull me out"

i say... "whatever dude!" so i go and get stuck too... luckily, not very bad, and the pathy got out of the snow that the poor little jeep couldnt. :)

DSCF1823.jpg

I pulled him out, and we kept going down the trail

Eventually we hit the top of the mountain, ending the dryness we got to enjoy. Aaron (the jeep owner) Was driving down the other side of the mountain, and i could see some obvious signs of deep snow, i heard him on the CB yelling, "theres alotta snow.. i'm gonna go for it! OH SH***"

Well... he got stuck.. BAD. i didn't head down the hill in my car, cuz i didnt want to get stuck either (i was running some basically bald mud terrains), especially considering it was a really steep and slick ride up.

DSCF1824.jpg

After three hours of some traction laying with rocks, sticks, and his floor mats, we got him out.

DSCF1834.jpg

a couple days before, we hit harbor freight, and got a bunch of pairs of leather gloves for a dollar a pair, a shovel, and we got some tow ropes. I also got a used offbrand high lift on craigslist for 25 bucks which really saved aarons jeep. Surprisingly we had just about everything we needed... one of the first times i've been prepared for... well, just about anything!

DSCF1830.jpg

To get outta the deep snow, We did the, hi lift the rear, pull the tow rope from the front method... along with alot of digging! At first, we got about three inches a thrust... but eventually we got out! it was a pretty good experience and actually quite a bit of fun!

the best part is still having the bragging rights of pulling his lifted jeep out with my stock pathy, after going through the same snow! :)

it was a good time for sure though!

Edited by zeppelindrummer

Now that looks like some fun. That's one of the main reasons I like come-a-longs with tree straps and extra lengths of tow straps / chains.

A portable winch for $90 from harbor freight comes in handy at times too.

An anchor can be of use for fast retrieval too. Or bury a tire.

But, don't think I haven't been stuck for hours on end figuring out what's going to or not going to work.

Fortunately, I haven't had to fashion skis or something to drag my truck out on yet. I hope I never have to.

But what really make me mad is when my dog just stands there and laughs at me and doesn't even lend a paw to help.

Misha-Rin-tin-tin.jpg

Edited by Mecinoid