Gas Smell

John Boy

Is there a vapor line near the gas tank somewhere? I have this strong gas smell even without the motor running at the rear of my truck mainly at the passenger rear wheel well. even if you put your nose by the gas fill door you can smell this gas smell. I looked and everything is dry. :confused:

I have several tiny "pinholes" in my fuel tank that provide me with this same smell. Been quite a few years now. The gas tank skid plate makes it hard to see the leakage, since the liquid leaks are virtually non-existant...just leaves a sticky dirt residue on the bottom of the tank.

Could be your problem, too.

I have several tiny "pinholes" in my fuel tank that provide me with this same smell. Been quite a few years now. The gas tank skid plate makes it hard to see the leakage, since the liquid leaks are virtually non-existant...just leaves a sticky dirt residue on the bottom of the tank.

wheelmans pathy was like that i looked up thru the holes in the skid plate and u could see a "wet spot" and i could smell the gas from like 20 ft away

I kinda hope it's not the fuel tank. I'm starting to loose patience with this truck, I didn't want to turn it into the money pit. It runs really good and the tranny is strong but am wondering if things are just gonna start going one by one. It's a northeast truck and am starting to wonder if I made a mistake.

every vehicle needs maintenance/repairs. sell the pathy, you'll just have another used vehicle to maintain.. after losing $$ on the pathy and dumping more $$ into a new truck..... when you get to my level of "expenditure" ( i haven't even reached the suspension yet).. they you can whine alllllllll you want ;)

every vehicle needs maintenance/repairs. sell the pathy, you'll just have another used vehicle to maintain.. after losing $$ on the pathy and dumping more $$ into a new truck..... when you get to my level of "expenditure" ( i haven't even reached the suspension yet).. they you can whine alllllllll you want ;)

Point taken............... :)

I have this strong gas smell even without the motor running at the rear of my truck mainly at the passenger rear wheel well. even if you put your nose by the gas fill door you can smell this gas smell.

I was going to guess the filler hose... :D

Glad you found the source. Make sure to use rubber fuel line, not just rubber hose and it should last a while...

B

Welcome to the wonderful world of 1st Generation Pathy money pits ;) But once it's running in top shape, and everything is working the way you want...there's no better feeling in the world. I love my Pathy...'tis why I don't really complain much about the little stuff...mine's 12 years old, so I kind of expect things like that to come up...not much else you can do but fix it or sell it. Like Slick said...it all depends on the level of expenditure you're at. I'm pretty high up there as well (though mostly in aftermarket suspension mods, tires, wheels, stuff like that)...overall, it's been great to me mechanically (the only pain in the ass expense was a new clutch in March...but that was my fault for trying to "unstuck" an F150....learned my lesson :P).

Glad you got it taken care of...leaking gas is never a good idea ;)

hey i got that nasty smell, as a matter of fact the pathy is not allowed in the garage anymore cause of the smell. I also get the sludge and gasoline mixture on or around my the passenger side of the tank. it also drips and leaves puddles and stains on the floor. Is it the filler or the actual tank any help!!!!!!!!

hey i got that nasty smell, as a matter of fact the pathy is not allowed in the garage anymore cause of the smell. I also get the sludge and gasoline mixture on or around my the passenger side of the tank. it also drips and leaves puddles and stains on the floor. Is it the filler or the actual tank any help!!!!!!!!

Well you would need to get under there and take a look, my gas smell was from a rottened fuel line but it could be from many different spots. I would fix it as quick as possible though because it can become a dangerous problem.

Today i got sick of the smell and decided to go and buy a new tank. But on the way i decide to shine a flashlight under the wheel well for some clues. I saw a puddle on top of the tank. so i looked for the fuel pump access panel and took it off the top of the fuel pug was rusted to all hell. i flicked one of the inlet where the hose clamps too and it sprung a leak. needless to say i found the problem. so i went to the junk yard and bout a fuel pump and assemly for $100 ( i think i was taken) and replaced it. after i drove around and did some tight corners to make sure the seal was tight when i looked again there was a little gas the was kinda sneaking out nothing major but i was concerned. then went and go some new screw and bolted them in and did the same thing. same result i then mad another trip and came back and not a trace of gass. I was wonder it maybe have just of evaporated or if i tighted it some more. The question is, is there some kind of sealant i can put on between the pump and tank to prevent this minute leak

I was off-roading and had some branches poke through the skid holes and puncture my tank. I took the skid off and patched them with JB Weld. Gotta Love that Shizit. Still have a slite smell/leak, but not worring about it for now. Thinking about replacing the tank with a fuel cell. Need a new fuel pump anyways, so might as well hit everything all at once. :beer: -alcohol- :oops:

I think the sealant was a bad idealb/c the day after word my car stalled and would not start. i figured my pump had failel well i had taken it out and put it back in and it started back up. Thus i was wondering if by sealing the pump to that tank if i was creating a vacum in the tank making it hard for the gas to flow. if so how do i make so that gas won't get out and ait can get in?