WD21 Keyless Entry

RedPath88

Who out there has factory keyless entry on a WD21 (if it existed)? If you do, then what year is your rig and if any one knows what year range was it an option? And one more... does you drivers door lock control all the other doors like it does on the two doors (i.e. pull lock up and all three doors unlock, push it down all other doors lock)

The reason I ask is because today I got an aftermarket keyless entry system and while installing it I realized that it was not going to work exactly right. Once the installation was completed, my belief was confirmed. The drivers door does not lock or unlock by the remote.

This is because the drivers door does not have an actuator... only a switch to control the other doors.

What I am thinking here is that any Pathfinder that came stock with a keyless entry system had an actuator and not just a switch in the drivers door. If this can be confirmed and a year range can be identified then I can start looking for a suitable replacement for my switch.

Another idea here would be to get the actuator from the passenger side and fit it to the drivers side.

I have a 95 and i use my keyless entry every day. I can control all four door locks to go up and down from the button on my arm rest. And when i push my door lock down, the other three go down also. But when i pull up on my door lock, the other three stay down. When i use the keyless entry remote to lock the truck, the alarm beeps once and all four corner lights blink once. When i push the keyless entry remote to unlock the truck, the alarm beeps twice and the four corner lights blink twice. The alarm works great also. It actually went off the other day when my son was messing around with it. I have never heard an alarm like that ever. It cycles through what sounds like four or five different alarms and then they all sound at the same time. Its really wacky :wacko: But effective. Sorry that i kinda rambled on but i hope what i said answered your question. good luck :beer:

I have a 95 XE and keyless entry as you described it. The only weird thing about mine is the panic button on the factory remote is what controls the locking and unlocking, the other button does nothing. I actually don't even like the idea if I push down on one button all the doors lock. Another weird thing is there is a aftermarket alarm on it also which is disabled.

if you add a single door lock actuator to the drivers side door all doors will lock/unlock...actuators cost around $25 for a decent one and takes about an hour to install with basic hand tools

Thanks for the information... it was as I expected. If I can make it to the wrecking yard this weekend I plan on picking one up.

Not sure how the aftermarket ones mount, but I would imagine the factory one may bolt right in. Based my experience Nissan planned ahead on a lot of things when they first designed the trucks.

Eitherway (factory or after market) I'll get it done :aok:

they are usually vacuum locks...which is why when you pull/push on the d.s. lock the others follow...adding a single actuator on the d.s. will allow all to lock/unlock

I have a 95 XE and keyless entry as you described it. The only weird thing about mine is the panic button on the factory remote is what controls the locking and unlocking, the other button does nothing. I actually don't even like the idea if I push down on one button all the doors lock. Another weird thing is there is a aftermarket alarm on it also which is disabled.

Ok first Johny boy, you might want to keep that aftermarket alrarm disabled, not sure if it would work like mine on my 97 XE but i had an aftermarket alarm along with the factory alarm, when i bough the truck it came with aftermarket keychain buttons for alarm not a stock one. I thought it would be cool and used the keyless entry feature, well all hell started breaking loose...somehow the aftermarket alarm interfered with the stock one. I would push the button and unlock the doors then when i opened the door BOTH alarms would go off!! I would stick the key in the door to turn off the stock alarm and i would push the button for the aftermarket alarm sometimes it would turn off other times it took like 10 minutes finally one day I unlocked the truck and openeed the door and same thing happened except this time after i finally got both alarms disabled the truck was dead and i tried everything to reset it even had the mechanic down the street come over and he could not figure out why everything was dead so i had to have it towed and repaired. Needless to say I had the aftermarket alarm removed. Now for my second question how can I find out if my truck originally came with keyless entry??? I think maybe if it did that the originaly keychain things were probably tossed?? Is there any way to tell????

they are usually vacuum locks...which is why when you pull/push on the d.s. lock the others follow...adding a single actuator on the d.s. will allow all to lock/unlock

nope ours (mine at least) are electric ;)

If the vehicle has power locks, every door has an actuator, even the driver's door. How else would the door unlock by the push of a button?

This is not so... my truck has power locks and "did" not have an actuator in the drivers door.

The way the Pathfinders power doors w/o keyless entry work (at least the 2Drs based on my truck) is with a lock actuator in the Passengers door and the rear hatch, but not in the drivers door. The locks are controlled by the drivers lock knob (not a separate switch the driver pushes, located elsewhere on the door panel) Push the knob down and the other two lock with it, pull it up and the other two doors unlock along with the drivers door.

At any rate, I picked up a passenger side actuator yesterday from another 2 door... cost $5

Mounting it was a direct bolt in, it simply replaced the switched that was there. But I did have to run two new wires into the door from the wiring harness that runs from the floor into the dash to the left of the drivers feet. This is where I spliced the new wires into the control/trip wires for the passenger side lock actuator.

I plan on either designing a way to remount the switch in the drivers door, checking a 4DR to see if the actuator has a switch built in or installing a separate switch in the door panel somewhere (maybe the arm rest) to reactivate the ability to lock/unlock all doors without the remote.

Edited by RedPath88