New Paint

cohen

okay, so I'm getting a new paintjob...not sure what color, but nothing fancy like deep ocean blue plus sparkles and a chameleon 2-tone :wacko:

img08125xd.jpg

minus the fender flares and black trim piece under front bumper

any suggestions??

I'm thinking white :confused:

White's alright, maybe with a gray stripe down the side, or keep it red like it is possibly. I was thinking maybe just reverse the colors? Make red your primary color with the stripe gray.. I dunno; I might be a little biased since mine's red :P

Edited by ~Ben~

Suggestions ?? Yeah, looks great as it is. Save the $ for mods, repairs, upgrades, insurance or partying... Why dump the $ for paint in a truck worth $5k on a good day ??

Sorry to be the bummer, but it just doesn't seem to be a value added approach.

B

-bounce- i'd spend the $$ onna lift instead. paint looks good as it is :aok:

and white is BORING....... how bout aqua greenie color fade? ooh.......

It looks good in the picture, but its really not. It has scratches all over, atleast 10 good sized rust spots which some of them leak even after applying a bunch of silicone on it. Under the passenger key hole it looks like some1 had a big keychain and it kept going back and forth on the paint and scratched the hell out of it. I'm getting a body lift and tires too but I just want it to look totally different with a new paintjob too.

I found some tires on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/4-PRO-COMP-...077379529QQrdZ1

Is that a good tire and price for them?

and heres a body lift kit

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/3-BODY-LIFT...sspagenameZWDVW

I thought there was supposed to be more blocks then just 4??

If you're set on getting rid of the rust and painting it, changing the color jacks the costs up huge. The painter will have to do inside the door jams and a whack load of other areas that wouldn't require paint if you stuck with the same color.

On top of all the areas that don't normally need paint, the shop has to prime the entire truck and apply a few coats of paint to the entire truck. This adds costs.

The roof for instance, thats a lot of paint and effort for an area that probably doesn't even need to be repainted. A good shop can easily tape off the roof and no one would ever know it wasn't painted.

If you stick with the same color you'll save a ton of cash and the interior will still match. B)

But if money is no object, I like the blue used on the '06 Tacoma's.

Edited by madhatter_xe

I got estimates today, and the cheapest was 750...and that was without door jams and all that. or 1200 for door jams and back hatch, etc.

I think I can do without. I also got a friend who would do it for 200, but I talked to his friend and he said he has to paint his truck every month or so. :blink: no thanks. lol

How much cheaper would it be to keep it the same color though??

At $750 you're looking at a REALLY CRAPPY paint job. It'll come out either oversprayed, orange peeled, or any other number of imperfections, and probably not clearcoated.

To get a top-quality, professional, factory type paint job, you're looking at $3,000+. A friend of mine had his YJ painted a few years ago, prepped, primer, paint, and clear, and although it was a very very very nice paint job, it cost him $4400. On an 88 Wrangler that probably isn't worth $2500.

How much cheaper would it be to keep it the same color though??

Areas that have rust will need to be cut out, patched, grinded, sanded and then primed for paint.

Areas that aren't rusty can be sanded/scuffed enough to remove the clearcoat so paint will adhere to it when repainted and clear coated. So on top of not needing primer, those panels won't need as many coats of paint b/c its the same color as it was. This will save you labour and paint costs. Also save by not messing around painting in the door-jams.

Unless the roof has dents that are rusting or the clearcoat is badly faded, I wouldn't touch it. You could use the $$ you save to lift it so nobody can see the roof anyways. :laugh:

Go with a cheapy paint job if you're planning on hitting the trails with it. You don't want to wuss out on a run because you're worried about your $4000 paint job. I'm in the same boat you are. Just get the 50/50 spray (looks good from 50 feet away or at 50 mph). It'll look fine for three or four years.

I'd go with a darker grey metallic. That'd be hot and still hide light dust/dirt. White is OK, but nothing else will match on the doorjams, etc.

The tires are about that much at a 4WheelParts store anyway. I'd shop around.

The body lift kit picture is a generic pic they must use for all their auctions. Bastards, anyway.

Yeah, body lift is supposed to have 10 blocks...the tires are an OK deal...but nothing too hot of a deal there really. I got 5 32X11.50 BFG ATs with about 98% tread left for $300...so look around and there are better deals to be found.....and nothing wrong with white, as long as you get a complete professional paint job...don't take it to Maaco for the love of God, you'll be repainting it in a year and spending the money again...a quality paint job at a reputible place should run you anywhere between $2k and $3k.

Guest Must_Eat_Scary_Clowns

if you get it painted rust colored, you won't have to worry about the rust spots.