Thinking about getting a cycle...

OR99.5Speed

Gotta jump in as an mc enthusiast for many years. Finally got one of my own last summer (a 250cc dirtbike, and I haven't begun to tap its limits even with rocky runs to ~12k feet... and yes I've ridden street/bigger bikes)...

I spent many moons in research-mode, and the best street bikes for a noob (if you want something sporty) are the Ninja 250 and 500, and the Suzuki GS500-E/F... "E" is the pre-04 naked model, "F" is the 04+ version w/ sportbike fairings. You get big points in my book for looking at the Ninja 250 up front. By all accounts it's a blast, it's run the famous Iron Butt rally, and at 6'1" barefoot it fits me better than the 500 (better seat-to-peg distance... GS500 fits great too). It'll also cruise at 75 all day, and there's the built-in fun of wailing past the radar trap at 10k rpm's... within the speed limit! The price point is so low because Kawasaki knows it's a great bike for bringing in new riders. Last time I checked the dealers were actually taking a loss on it if sold at msrp (which you should shoot for if buying new).

If you don't like to shift, get a scooter. For me, bikes are all about being one with the machine, whether it's 80cc or 1000cc. It's just you out there in the air, working every control with all 4 limbs, carving a line on two wheels, and there's nothing like it.

Basic rules of getting into riding:

1. Take an MSF course. If you pass, go get the M endorsement on your license. If not, take it again. Many folks have. Think of it as personal life insurance, especially if you've never ridden before. In many states you can take a similar course called "Rider's Edge" at Harley dealers. This gives you the minimal basic skills to operate a bike, and usually waives you from taking the DMV riding test - just need to do the written.

2. Get good gear. Budget $500 minimum (helmet alone can easily cost more), newenough.com was mentioned before and they're great. The MSF class will require over-ankle boots, pants, long sleeves, gloves and helmet. You don't want to use one of their loaner lids, so hit the dealers and see what fits, it's important. Brands vary significantly in shell shape. There's a great (and semi-controversial) article here.

3. Check insurance on models you're considering. Single males under 25 get the worst of it, and companies vary in their policies. Some go by engine size only, some go by model names, theft rates, etc.

4. NOW start looking at bikes that fit the bill. Definitely go used if possible, though as you said, with the Ninja 250's $3k price it's easy to justify buying new. IF your budget allows after gear and insurance, go ahead. Just sit on everything you can first, remember what felt right/wrong on the bike(s) you rode in MSF, and shop around. A good rule of thumb is keeping the weight under 500lbs (400 or below is better), and under 60hp.

5. Remember it's your first bike, not your last... if you do it right.

6. Don't listen to anyone who claims to have owned a "Kawasaki GSXR", or who says you should start on a liter bike. P... If you don't have a healthy dose of fear when riding, whether trails or street, you're not appreciating the risks... or the rewards. Nothing like showing your tail to someone on a bigger, "more powerful" bike.

7. Don't let friends train you, unless they're an MSF coach, mc cop or similar. Your buddy may have the best of intentions, but odds are they don't have the eye to see bad newbie habits forming and so on. They're also likely to be biased by their own choices/history, and you should be looking for a clean slate.

Off-road experience is great. You get some time to make the controls automatic without worrying about that bus/cab/soccer mom around the corner. It had been so long since I'd ridden that I decided to get back to basics away from traffic. Hey, you're on the Nissan Pathfinder OFF ROAD forums right? You should understand.

Ok I'll stop now... final reco is to check out this site's forums and articles Feel free to PM me for more.

Good luck!

6. Don't listen to anyone who claims to have owned a "Kawasaki GSXR", or who says you should start on a liter bike

I never said to start out with a liter bike, I just was making an example. I started on a 600, and it was fine but, after 2 weeks of not keeping up to my brother, i went bigger is all :P . And as for the kawasaki gsxr, i can't remember who said that, but it's a crock. Suzuki makes the gsx, not kawasaki. And getting training is the smartest thing you can do. But in my opinion ( you don't have to listen to me) i would say start with a 600, not a Hayabusa or gixxer 1000, cuz then you at least have a real bike, and aren't wishing you had more, that's all.

You get big points in my book for looking at the Ninja 250 up front.

Do NOT listen to the forces of EVIL !!! P...P...:D

Seriously though, almost everything else he said is quite valid... ;)

B

sorry my fault about the gsxr. but i did not outright own the bike my buddy had gotten a job in vail colorado and had just bought a ducatti monster so he did not need it so he left it at my house i had never owned a bike before that but i told him i was going to be riding it and he was cool with that, and at the time all it did was ride it i did not even care that much about bikes and it had all aftermarket fairings and such so i did not even know it was a suzuki. so excuse me for my mistake but dont be so quick to judge or karma will get ya. I started on something bigger and now have my dirt bike and it suits me just fine and is cheaper more manueverable. so you can listen to these guys here and go big starting out that is fine in the end you have to pay the consequence if you get too much power between your legs from the get go. I am going to stick with what i said if you start with a lighter dirt-bike you learn the concepts of leaning, braking, etc granted lots of people do start off with heavy bikes and road courses so i hope you take all this advice and make the correct decision good luck and ride safe.

Feature-length follow up... did I say I tend to have long posts? :rolleyes:

I never said to start out with a liter bike, I just was making an example. I started on a 600, and it was fine but, after 2 weeks of not keeping up to my brother, i went bigger is all

Wasn't trying to single you out man, just a general bit of bike advice there. Now that you mention it though, I'll go ahead and use you as an example, heh... (seriously, no insult intended, just a good opportunity to make a point):

Two weeks on a 600 and you moved up?? Newbie or not, would you claim that you had really mastered the 600 in that time? Wore the tires near the edges from consistently deep lean angles, could handle slow-speed maneuvers, obstacles, accident avoidance at any speed, all that? Of course not. Just mentioning that because it's all too common for folks to think they've got it down after a few successful (read: no crash) rides. In fact, one of the most dangerous periods in a rider's career is in that 1-3 year range when they really think they're doing well and know the bike, and then start getting complacent. Again not trying to bust your chops Jmax, just a handy example.

...so excuse me for my mistake but dont be so quick to judge or karma will get ya. I started on something bigger and now have my dirt bike and it suits me just fine and is cheaper more manueverable... I am going to stick with what i said if you start with a lighter dirt-bike you learn the concepts of leaning, braking, etc

As with Jmax I did not intend to point fingers or judge ya zb, just mentioned the model name mix-up as another example. I've seen plenty of bikes for sale whose owners clearly knew almost nothing about them. These are often recent models with low mileage, and many have been laid down. I completely agree about starting on a dirtbike, or at least a fairly light bike, if at all possible.

Seriously though, almost everything else he said is quite valid...

Hey... whaddya mean ALMOST??? ;):beer:

Wanted to add a couple notes too...

The MSF class: in several states it's free (use the site I linked above to find locations). In many more it'll be cheaper than the HD Rider's Edge class, which afaik is always $200-350. In the MSF you'll likely ride a Nighthawk 250, Eliminator 125, some 250 cruiser like the GZ250, or a 200cc-class dual-sport... occasionally you'll find a class with Ninja 250's. In the HD class you'll ride the Buell Blast only. Either way, you'll get a chance to ride someone else's bike with the expectation that you'll probably drop it, and many times the bike used in class has helped people better decide what they want. When I started I thought I wanted a Yamaha V-Star (cruiser/HD clone). Sit-tests alone killed all thoughts of cruisers, so I looked at "standards" like the Ninja 250/500 and the GS500. [We call 'em standards because of the fairly upright seating position, feet below your hips - not a racer crouch or laid back w/ feet forward like a cruiser.] Ended up with a dirt bike and I've never regretted it.

Also, don't sweat it if you've never thrown a leg over before. These classes are designed for total noobs. I'm on a couple forums with several MSF rider coaches, and many times I've seen them post about it being preferable if the person has never ridden at all. Means they don't have to worry about correcting any bad habits you might have picked up, and they can focus just on teaching you the good stuff.

Helmets: when I said "it's important" I meant finding one that fits right as much as wearing one. Hit a dealer and try every brand they have, and keep each lid on for at least 5 minutes (20 is better). Hot spots are bad/will get aggravating quickly, and you're less likely to wear it if it bugs ya. The helmet should be snug all over (the liner will break in some), and if you strap it on and try to roll it forward from the back w/ your head held still, it shouldn't move much. Good luck w/ this... I tried at least 8 brands, misc models, and found a whopping ONE that fit right - but it had awful graphics and it had been discontinued. Fortunately I found a leftover at an online shop, and I knew the size I wanted from the try-on. It MUST be DOT certified, and that helmet link I posted will tell you more.

I'll shut up now, promise.

Maybe.

Again not trying to bust your chops Jmax, just a handy example.

LOL! no worries bro! But just to clarify, I have been riding bikes for since i was 13 yrs old, and the first bike that I was able to get was a 600, but I had been riding my brothers 600 with him as a learner for nearly two years. It was only after I had purchased my own that I was offered a real good deal on this bike (My TL), so I figured why not, I can afford it. But every point you have is definitly valid, and there is no substitute for proper instruction, ( although I have never taken a class :rolleyes: ) . I admit, I have laid my bike down (my first one,) but I was being stupid and trying to act cool, and it ended up costing me. So don't worry about busting my chops bro, if it helps someone else out, and keeps unexperienced riders more aware, then by all means, bust those chops.

There, i shall speak no more.

:) it's all good bud, but now that i have thought alot about it the gsxr i was riding was a deep blue with no sticker or anything. but i distintcly remember the paint was scraped on the back fender and it was that kawasaki green underneeth. was i haluccinating???????? :shrug:

If you are thinking about a cruiser style bike let me recommend the Suzuki Volusia or Boulevard C50 as it is called now. I have an '04 and it is the best bike I have had.

You can look here for more information on the Volusia, Volusia Riders Board.

Awesome bike, so much better than a V-STAR 650. I have one and can not tell you the number of compliments I get on it.

If you like Crotch Rockets, then the Ninja, Gixxer, CBR, etc. are all good. I myself prefer the more laid back approach of the cruiser.

But to each his own!

Good luck whatever you choose, and definately get some good gear, and take a class!

-BR

Edited by BamaRed

As it turns out now I'll have to wait until after college to get a motorcycle...I'll have done the MSF stuff beforehand.

I rode a Kawasaki Ninja 600R around the block and it felt great, that was my first time riding!

I'm thinking Ducati Monster 620 as the bike of choice, but I want to ride the MSR bikes before I make a choice.

As it turns out now I'll have to wait until after college to get a motorcycle...I'll have done the MSF stuff beforehand.

<snippy>

I'm thinking Ducati Monster 620 as the bike of choice, but I want to ride the MSR bikes before I make a choice.

Not shutting up... :P

Good call on waiting for the MSF -- like I said it may change your thoughts on the style of bike you want.

The Duc 620 (Multistrada has same engine as the Monster fyi, and better ergonomics for taller folks) is a decent choice, but be prepared for Italian maintenance costs. Whatever you end up with, I'd strongly recommend buying used first. Drops happen.

Good luck!