t-belt

zonianbrat

:( ok i am in the middle of changing the t-belt, water pump and some other stuff and i only have a minute to write this,, i can not get the stupid bold off of the crank to remove the pulley. guess i am going to have to get an impact set. it is just irritating we tried the strap wrench and prybar to no evale, i am stumped and tired of this crap. hope to get this done early tomorrow. any body have any last minute tips for me. any is appreciated. thanks

put it in like 4th gear or something put the prybar and socket on it take a hammer and hit the hell outta the pry bar it'll work like an impact wrench thats how i always get mine off if you just try to use brute force it'll turn the motor over so quick jolt will break it loose

good luck...you might also want to take a punch and line up ure top cams to the timing marks and use a punch to mark the crank if yours isnt marked

He has an automatic.

I seem to remember that if you stick a breaker bar and socket on the crank bolt, brace it against a crossmember below so it doesn't spin and then CAREFULLY bump the starter, it'll crack that puppy loose in short order.

:) Thanks guys and i do have an automatic and i did not think putting it in gear would help but as a last resort i thought about putting the breaker bar against something and bumping the starter but like i said it is a last resort. first i will try another strap wrench that i bought today. if tha tdoes not work i will be buying some sort of impact. have you guys ever heard of an electrick impact wrench?? o friend of my dads said they exhist and i should look in to one? update you guys in the morining maybe i will trry to take pics. :aok:

:) Thanks guys and i do have an automatic and i did not think putting it in gear would help but as a last resort i thought about putting the breaker bar against something and bumping the starter but like i said it is a last resort. first i will try another strap wrench that i bought today. if tha tdoes not work i will be buying some sort of impact. have you guys ever heard of an electrick impact wrench?? o friend of my dads said they exhist and i should look in to one? update you guys in the morining maybe i will trry to take pics. :aok:

I had a electric impact years ago and it was good if you don't have air but there's nothing like a air impact. This is one of the reasons I just brought my truck to the mechanic to do the timing belt I didn't want to spend my whole weekend trying to get the crank pulley off. IMO it's worth paying the $300 in labor. Good Luck

He has an automatic.

I seem to remember that if you stick a breaker bar and socket on the crank bolt, brace it against a crossmember below so it doesn't spin and then CAREFULLY bump the starter, it'll crack that puppy loose in short order.

thats what i did the 2 times i did mine, works like a charm, just dont overdo it

I had a electric impact years ago and it was good if you don't have air but there's nothing like a air impact. This is one of the reasons I just brought my truck to the mechanic to do the timing belt I didn't want to spend my whole weekend trying to get the crank pulley off. IMO it's worth paying the $300 in labor. Good Luck

-thnkboutit- well guess i should have brought the truck to the mechanic as the pulley spit in half and the re is nowher to get one on the weekend so i am really pissed off right now and ready to drive that truck offfa cliff. give you guys a update in a bit.

-thnkboutit- well guess i should have brought the truck to the mechanic as the pulley spit in half and the re is nowher to get one on the weekend so i am really pissed off right now and ready to drive that truck offfa cliff. give you guys a update in a bit.

Sorry to hear that but don't drive it off the cliff, maybe it's time to sit back have a beer and chalk it up as a learning experience. -alcohol-

Sorry to hear that but don't drive it off the cliff, maybe it's time to sit back have a beer and chalk it up as a learning experience. -alcohol-

:X yeah your right i have sat back and realized how crappy this turned out for me. i got the pulley so that is not my worry. it is just irritating that i found out that the nissan dealership right down the road has one but they are closed on saturday along with the other shop i found one at. what about the working people like me who can not take more time off of work to do this on a weekday, dont alot of people do mechanic work on the weekend as they have to work during the week... i just dont understand.

:huh: How did you manage to split the thing?

:hide: well i embellished a little bit the puller seemed to bend it then when i loosened it the pot metal cracked then after wrenching on it just to get it off it has a crack and is miss-aligned kind of hard to explain it is completely fubar but it that way. but now the water pump is changed so is the t-belt and the coolant bypass hose, the cam and crank seal was fine no leaking so i am not goin to mess with it. now i just need to wait for the pulley replace the spark plugs change the oil and button everyting up so the end is in sight.....what a pita. though but that is my luck i guess atleast i have learned alot and got some cool tools for the next time P...:shrug:

:beer: yeah i know. i will chalk this up to experience. and hopefully get it done within the next couple of days, and like i said my dad got me alot of tools to do the job with. so all is not lost. the job is not really that hard but you really need someone who either has done it before or has done it on another vehicle and knows what to expect. and the right tools make it alot easier. worst part i think was testing the deflection on the tensioner. at first i had trouble understanding what they meant about putting the feeler guage in between the tensioner and the belt but read the manual a little better and got it under control. but again i could not have even gotten this far if i had not listened to you guys thanks.

WAVEY Ok i have had time to calm down about the whole deal and yes i am happy that i did this myself as i saved alittle money and i learned alot, but i tell ya that motor is so tight it boggles my mind, i have done some minor engine work on my old 78 grand prix back in the day when you could "climb" in and get the work done. so doing this big a job on a foreign vehicle was my first. what sucks is the truck is sitting there until i can find the time to put on my new crank pulley which set me back 210.00 dollars. guess i have to wait a little bit longer for my skids i wanted.

Today is the big day I finally get my T belt, water pump, etc. done, thing is the truck is running so well, am scared to touch it.

just be sure to take your time. definetely get a harmonic balancer puller and do it right i broke my pulley and it cost me over 200 dollars on top of all the parts i had already bought. good luck..