Recomendations for oil stop leak additive

ticker

So my wife's car started burning/leaking 2-3 quarts of oil every 3000 miles or so. It leaks out the front of the motor (below top pulley for timing belt) and also into the engine(blue smoke at high revs ) but does not leave any drips on the ground. Its happened twice where it got so low that it barely registered on the dipstick. I was hoping that the first time maybe the oil change place screwed up and didn't put enough oil in but yesterday she called to tell me the oil light came on again. We already had plans to get her a newer car in the next six months so I'm not really interested in putting a lot of money into this one. Any ideas on any goo/oil additive that you have had a positive experience with?

thanks

1997 Toyota Tercel 130,000 miles 4cyl :huh:

Edited by ticker

Hmm, something is definitely wrong. Go to the local autoparts store and get some 'old engine reconditioning oil' or whatever. It's basically like 120 weight oil. Add the quart or whatever when the oil capacity is low. It won't perform miracles, but I used it years ago in a worn out car with decent results. Good luck.

B

All of the above, thicker lube could save you. I'd be a bit reluctant, though, to recommend a band-aid that will just allow you to get along far enough to sell the thing and turn the problem over to somebody else.

Some of us look for used cars like that! Worst case, a few hundred dollars and a weekend's work and badda-bing - low mileage engine from Japan is in there and ready for another 200k miles for thousands less than a newer car!

Too bad you're in Ohio...

In the meantime, it sounds like you either have stuck rings, brokenrings, or scored cylinders. All of which are very rare for a Toyota with only 130K miles. That is way low mileage for a well maintained Toyota to fail. 300 to 500K is more normal.

What kind of oil have you been using? If cheap oil, probably gummed/stuck rings. If good oil, more likely damage.

If it were mine:

I would try a thorough engine cleaning to see if it could be as simple as gummed up rings. Berryman's is my method of choice.

If that doesn't change it or makes it worse, then assume something went tragically wrong and you either have scored cylinders or broken rings. Then try something in the "thick goo" department.

Edited by mws

All of the above, thicker lube could save you. I'd be a bit reluctant, though, to recommend a band-aid that will just allow you to get along far enough to sell the thing and turn the problem over to somebody else.

I feel you and I would feel bad about it, but most likely it would be a trade in and then I would pass the guilt onto the dealership. Its been an awesome car for the last 9 years and has needed very little in terms of repair. To be blunt its not woth it finacially to sink money into it. Used cars have problems, thats the major reason people want to upgrade into something newer.

Apperently this generation of tercels is known for using oil. Some of it is due to the 3 speed auto transmission and the high temps rpms that go along with it. I'm going to try some stop leak today and see how it goes. Other than the leaking oil it runs, sounds fine. If it gets to be a safety issue I'll have to get it fixed. I haven't found a mechanic near here that I trust yet, so thats definately a factor

Picked up something called Bar's Leaks Repair-it. Its supposed to work within one hundred miles. It worked out pretty perfect as the motor was down (oil volume) the exact amount of the additive. This stuff promised eveything, ie Increases Oil Pressure, Restores Compression & Horsepower, Reduces Knocking & Ticking, Stops Smoking & Oil Consumption, makes your exhaust smell like cotton candy, and makes the driver invisible to cops. I'm pretty sceptical of this kind of thing but hopefully it will take care of the problem. I'll let you know

Edited by ticker

• 4 weeks later...

Its been about three weeks and the oil level has held steady and the car is performing the same as usuall. I'll called it fixed for now. I'll check back again in a month or so. I know true mechanics are offended by goop in a bottle but some times you have to say what the f%^k. B)

Edited by ticker

Cool, I'm glad that did the trick for now. Hopefully it will last a while... Keep watching it though !! ;)

B

Thanks B, I'll definately keep an eye on it.

GG-I don't remember the commercial but with over 130,000 miles We've only put brakes, tires, timing belt and a waterpump into the tercel, the first three being regular maintanence. Not too bad. From what I gathered on a toyota forum it is caused by three speed tranny causing high temps and rpms leading too the seals breaking down.