Spark Plug Changing

97SE

i changed my plugs out a couple of weeks ago and gave up on that one lol, i still need to get it out, i almost had it though.Im not sure if i have an extension or not but check under the back seat, theres a buncha stuff under there for mine for changin the spare, but im not really sure if theres one for a plug.

Yup, the 6th plug is a biotch. The other plugs take about 2 min each to do. The 6th took me about 45 min. Most of which was trying to locate the old plug to remove, and then locating the hole to install the new plug. But one tool I used which WASN'T in the Nissan tool kit, my girlfriend's small hands. :)

Using the included kit, I was able to removed the 6th plug in about 10 minutes or so. It helped when you're done it before and kinda know where the plug is without actually seeing it :D

Well, the tool does work...in that I did get it on #6, not much room to turn, and as I was turning it, it never really felt like it was loosening...all I could picture was breaking a plug off and having to pull the engine to get it out. So I quit while I was ahead...still have the old #6 in there. Last thing I need is a $2500 spark plu job.

Well, the tool does work...in that I did get it on #6, not much room to turn, and as I was turning it, it never really felt like it was loosening...all I could picture was breaking a plug off and having to pull the engine to get it out.  So I quit while I was ahead...still have the old #6 in there.  Last thing I need is a $2500 spark plu job.

Hmmm.. maybe you didn't have it all the way in. :confused: You should be able to turn it about 1/4 turn each time. Then rotate the handle and start again. It'll be slow but after 5-6 turns or so you can feel that it's getting loose. If you were able to remove the other plugs fairly easy that means they are not seized in there. I'll say go lay on top of the engine and try again. You can do it ! :laugh::aok:

LOL, yes I was thinking about giving up at one point. There were times where I thought I was threading the new plug on but actually I wasn't. Just takes patience and a good visual memory of where the extension was and the angle of it when you removed the old plug.

You do have to press firmly down onto the plug to actually thread it. I realized, that I was spinning the plug around and around just barely off the hole for aboout 25 minutes thinking I was close.

I never realized what the tool was for!!!! I used what 88 said to use...several 3/8 6" extensions and a universal joint between the two extensions....It was a real pain in the @%& but it worked. :furious:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I'm new to this forum but have found some good information. Thanks.

I have two questions:

1. Is the "# 6 sparkplug " problem discussed in this forum applicable to only a specific engine or is it common to most Pathfinders? What years have the problem?

2. I read the "tune up guide" above where someone switched to iridium sparkplugs. I didn't see any comments by him as to whether he thought it was a worthwhile change or not. Anybody know?

Thanks,

jim

1. Is the "# 6 sparkplug " problem discussed in this forum applicable to only a specific engine or is it common to most Pathfinders? What years have the problem?

The #6 spark plug between the firewall is going to be found on both the VG33 and VG30 engines. I guess you could call it a problem. I call it a biotch. sssh

I read the "tune up guide" above where someone switched to iridium sparkplugs. I didn't see any comments by him as to whether he thought it was a worthwhile change or not. Anybody know?

I switched to the Iridium IX plugs and also the NGK plug wires too. There was an initial noticeble gain off the start, a lot more peppier. Now that they've been in for about 3 weeks now, I've noticed an increase in gas mileage too. I'm very happy about the upgrade. Make sure you change out your rotor and cap while you're at it. Mine were at 75k and still looked pretty new.

The Iridium plugs and new wires/caps really help. I highly recommend them. They actually give more power as DJ_Dank said, it's preppier at throttle and betterl gas mileage. On my first tank after the install, I drove almost (98%) stop and go with a lot of short trips and redlights. I got 250 miles until the light goes on. Normally it goes on at about 230 or so.

I didn't have the actual gallons number in front of me but with the current tank (130 miles highway) I can tell the mileage is much better as I'm now at the 220 miles and I still have more than 1/4 tank left (rarely happens, perhaps when it was still stock). :)

The Iridium plugs and new wires/caps really help. I highly recommend them. They actually give more power as DJ_Dank said, it's preppier at throttle and betterl gas mileage. On my first tank after the install, I drove almost (98%) stop and go with a lot of short trips and redlights. I got 250 miles until the light goes on. Normally it goes on at about 230 or so.

I didn't have the actual gallons number in front of me but with the current tank (130 miles highway) I can tell the mileage is much better as I'm now at the 220 miles and I still have more than 1/4 tank left (rarely happens, perhaps when it was still stock). :)

Yup, I've been noticing the same where my tank is at and my miles. Seems like there is more gas then I recal having at after driving a certain amount of miles since I filled up. Follow me? lol.

But I'm very satisfied with it. I just had all 3 drive belts replaced last week. Tranny flushed last month. The car is so quiet now. :) I'm very happy with the performance now. :)

DJ_Dank :cool2:

I just changed my tranny oil too. Changed it once at 45k miles to Mobil 1 and now at 91k I just replaced it again, also with Mobil 1. Smooth shifting now. Didn't feel like doing a full flush. If I keep doing changes with synthetic, I eventually get all the dino oil out right? :D

Haven't done the belts yet (some of them show cracks). I'm planning to do them at the same time as the timing belt.

Need to change the coolant though.. way over due ... -thnkboutit-

Need to change the coolant though.. way over due ... -thnkboutit-

Doh!!! Coolant flush. Forgot all about that one. I dunno when the last time it was changed. I have to assume never just like the tranny fluid. Whats the recommended interval for coolant flush?