For those with external tranny coolers.

John Boy

For those with external tranny coolers I was wondering how many miles do you have on your transmission?

Also where did you mount the cooler?

I figured while am doing the timing belt I might as well do the cooler.

I put mine between the AC condenser and the rad, only b/c it wouldn't fit anywhere else. In front of the rad would be better.

But like MZ said, search around. theres a thread all about tranny coolers in the forum somewhere.

OK! has anyone actually achieved a longer life span with a cooler installed. In other words is putting a cooler in really worth it. I know everyone says put one in, but is there actually "proof" that it extends the life of your tranny. I was hoping to hear someone say "after putting a cooler on my tranny it lasted 200,000 miles." I did not find any threads offering real life experiences.

On a side note being actively involved in about 12 different internet forums this one takes the cake with the "SEARCH" replies. Isn't it easier to just ignore a thread then pulling out the SEARCH card. Sheesh!

Edited by John Boy

there was no one simple "search" responce in here. you'd rather i didn't say anything at all? as you wish but i'll give you this one:

trannies without the cooler go out at about 100k. with it they seem to keep running.

I was hoping to hear someone say "after putting a cooler on my tranny it lasted 200,000 miles."

It's easier to look at in the other direction... There are MANY people who have posted about fried automagic trannys WITHOUT coolers in the 80-130k mile range. Then there are those who have tranny coolers who never post about fried trannies, hence the lack of "mine lasted XXX" I'll tell you what, I'll set up a poll for you.

On a side note being actively involved in about 12 different internet forums this one takes the cake with the "SEARCH" replies. Isn't it easier to just ignore a thread then pulling out the SEARCH card. Sheesh!

It's not a card, it is advice... The info is here. Someone else would just have to search for it to supply it to you, hence the search RECOMMENDATION. If you don't find all the info you need, people are happy to try to fill the gaps, either typing it or finding the thread they are thinking of, by searching.... Calm down Bud, it's not like you haven't gotten good advice. :beer:

B

-argue- Ok buddy chill out a bit. the search funtion has helped out alot so far. but you also need to maybe tell us what year your rig is, how many miles it has on it too. if your tranny has 135,00 miles on it already i would not put a tranny cooler on yet. because if it is an automatic it will probably go soon depending on what kind of driving you are doing. putting a cooler on a tranny with that many miles on it already is not a good idea in my opinion. it is one of thos things if you start messing with the temp and stuff it will break. that is what i think personally.

at least he has his rig year in his profile. There are SOOOOOO many people who come in here and ask questions like "will a bladieblah fit on my pathy?" and they have no indication of year, location, etc listed anywhere. There should be a way to ban stupid questions from being posted by people who don't even supply basic information.

*jumps down off soapbox*

As for JB, he asked a simple question and his questions were answered. Apparently, hs DID search and was concerned by the lack of currency of the information (though I don't think anyone had relocated their tranny cooler since installing it). Again, his questions were answered. No new info available. Obviously, that not being enough, I believe the next question should be "has anyone bought 2 pathys, put a cooler in one, driven them both the same over time and experienced a difference in lifespan due to the addition of a cooler?" Well JB, I believe the answer here is no. Out ont he web, youbay be able to find a general report from soem firm that actually did a similar test with 2 or more vehicles but I doubt that it would be pathy specific. Bottom line is that, if you have a pathy (specifically a WD21) you are subject to a bit of a design problem in the cooling ability of the stock tranny cooler. An aftermarket/external cooler will "probably" extend the life of your tranny but no official experiements have been done to prove or disprove it. Personal experience... I drove the hell out of my pathy, offroad, in the desert southwest, in 100+ degree weather for 5 years or so. I burned up my tranny at 75K miles. On my replacement, driving mainly streets in moderate climate, I have had no problems and have exceeded another 70K on the replacement. A $40 cooler may have saved me the $1600 rebuild (or whatever it cost).

putting a cooler on a tranny with that many miles on it already is not a good idea in my opinion. it is one of thos things if you start messing with the temp and stuff it will break. that is what i think personally.

imho you should do it. the sooner the better. you don't want to keep cooking the oil.