serious frt end shake

Guest mideerslayer

Guest mideerslayer

Hey guys newbie here i just bought my first suv and its a 92 pathfinder xe 4wd 6cyl auto. ok my problem is i get over 40 mph i get a death wobble in the frt end so bad i have to hold on with both hands, i slow down to below 40 and it doesnt shake at all, get back up past 40 and hold on for dear life. i jacked up the frt end and there is some play in the wheel/bushing etc but nothing "abnormal" like parts flopping in the wind, what should i be looking for, i am looking forward to driving this pathfinder and talking to fellow pathfinders I got a great deal on it:)

Rich

Bent wheel maybe? Tires way out of balance? Been wheelin and packed some mud in the wheel and throw it out of balance? any abonormal wear on the tires? A little more info might be helpful, but I would check these first. :aok:

Oh yeah, as per recent postings, make sure you search first! :)

Edited by 5523Pathfinder

LOL, answers to his questions... Start by checking that you have ballanced tires on straight, clean rims. Make sure the wheel bearings are not loose. Look for bad tie rod ends, center link, idler arm, etc... Alignment can be a factor. I seem to remember bad shake can be a toe in/out issue ?? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Basically, if ther is nothing obvious, start on the outsides with the cheap/free stuff and work your way in. You can check your toe with some string and patience. Let us know what you find.

B

its entirely possible you just need a good balancing on your tires...but ill be honest its really of no use because even if u zero the wheel u hit a few potholes driving regular on the road yourll throw it off...even worse offroading...

It is amazing what a little bit of mud on the inside of the rim (where you can not see it easily) will do.

I get that problem a lot after washing the beast, I need to take off my wheels and clean the hub side of the rims as well.

Good luck, hope it is just a wheel balancing thing.

Yeah mine shook like a bitch after I last took it mudding. I cleaned it out with a hose to get the majority of the mud out, but it still shook a little bit when I got up above 60. Went back the other day and sprayed it all out again, and its fine now. I didn't have to take off the wheels either, just got up underneath it.

So its real possible that the last owner took it mudding and just didn't clean out his wheels correctly, so get underneath it with a hose and just look for mud and stuff. And like others are saying, you can go get it realligned, may as well do that.

Guest mideerslayer

ok took it in and had the wheel balanced better but they told me my "strut rod is shot aka compression rod , tension arm. the bushing isnt sitting in the frame section any more and he said it looks like it sheered off, but to me its still there. well i have look on line and you can get a kit with the bushing and there are 2 rods with them a few inchs long, do those go on the end of the strut rod and the the new bushing goes over theat and then you insert the bushing in to the frame and bam it is a fix? i hope so because its only $25.00 thanks in advance

Rich

Well, if it was sheared off completely then it wouldn't be connected to the frame, but hanging down below the frame about 3"-5" :laugh: been there.

The kit you are describing has the bushiings and the sleeve that goes over the rod. If your rods are that bad, you may want to get whole new ones as once it begins to wear, it wears through the sleave and then into the rod its self (eventually breaking the rod). IIRC I paid $85 for all parts except the 2 bolts in the LCA when I did both sides on my 88.

You might also check local wrecking yards... sometimes to get lucky and find good or even nearly new parts like that for dirt cheap :shrug:

I found a Pathy once that had brand new rear brakes... everything was new even the drums. For less than $30 I had new rear brakes :aok:

Edited by RedPath88

Guest mideerslayer

well it is still there inside so to speak, the bushing is on the out side and if i jack it up you can see it just sitting inside the frame, so i think i am going to be ok for awhile (few weeks till i can get the time to replace the whole arm any idea besides junk yards where i can get the arms

thanks

Guest mideerslayer

once i get the old bushing out and the new ones in is that all there is the arm just sits inside the sleeve inside the bushing?

thanks

Rich

The rod sits in the sleeve, the sleeve sits in the hole in the frame and the bushings. The "washers" keep the sleeve and bushings in place.

One other common issue with the rods is the hole they mount to in the frame can get elongated. Mine were a little bit, but I just left them alone, I get some nice creaks when I flex the front because of it too.

Guest mideerslayer

The kit you are describing has the bushiings and the sleeve that goes over the rod. If your rods are that bad, you may want to get whole new ones as once it begins to wear, it wears through the sleave and then into the rod its self (eventually breaking the rod). IIRC I paid $85 for all parts except the 2 bolts in the LCA when I did both sides on my 88.

IIRC????? did you get both arms and bushing and nuts and washers for both sides for $85

thanks

Rich

If so was it the dealer or somewhere on line