ABS Light

When I searched got a tonne of responses for the Check Engine light but none for ABS light.

My ABS light has recently lit up - it was on/off for about the first week, now it is continually on - brake fluid looks full. Is there anything I can diagnose myself on this system or do I have to go to the dealer??

It comes on constantly now. I live on a gravel road, if this might have something to do with it... (lots of dust).

Had brakes done at the end of last fall.... didn't need much.

Aaron

Hmmm...the gravel road could have knocked a sensor loose but that's just a wild and probably wrong guess. I don't think the last time you got your brakes done has anything to do with it.

I don't even know where to start with this one, other than to tell you that you were correct in checking fluid level first. VERY IMPORTANT. Make doublely sure that the fluid is the correct level.

I don't know much about Pathfinder ABS but with all the gravel driving, the sensor that senses if your wheel has locked up might be hosed.... The connector could have come loose or the wires could be cracked and shorting out.

My light came on for a while after i did the rear bushings...lots of drilling...all the metal filings were stuck to the sensor like a magnet...cleaned it off, disconnected the battery for 10 minutes, borrowed AutoZones OBD11 scanner and reset the error code, then all was good

I'll take a picture of the plug tomorrow in the light.....

Did any of that make sense!?> :blink:

No brake light, just the ABS light. Maybe this weekend I will pull the tires off and take a closer look, is there a sensor on every wheel guys?? (I'm a rookie at ABS stuff).

Thanks for the replies everyone... :aok:

Edited by Barnzilla

No brake light, just the ABS light. Maybe this weekend I will pull the tires off and take a closer look, is there a sensor on every wheel guys?? (I'm a rookie at ABS stuff).

Thanks for the replies everyone... :aok:

Yup, 4 wheel ABS, sensor on each wheel

Good point about iron particles collecting on the sensor. That could be it. The rear sensors are protected, inside the axle. The front sensors are sort of exposed, though. To get to them for cleaning you'll have to remove the front hubs.

In the photo below, the ABS sensor is a small protrusion located at about 2 o'clock just inside the smaller ring of the dust shield.

04bare_spindle.jpg

well not everyone on here knows me or has met me to know that 99.5% of the time i am sarcastic...which is why i can dan and myself are involved sexually....even though we arnt

(this is when u smart @sses reply "oh sure sure, you and dan haha")

wow dean you have good informational pics. (this is me being serious and not sarcastic)  is there any that you dont have? lol

Haha. Yeah, there's plenty I don't have! :) (Just go look at the topics I don't post pictures in.) WAVEY:lol:

Edited by XPLORx4

wow dean you have good informational pics. (this is me being serious and not sarcastic) is there any that you dont have? lol

The same thought came to mind when I saw that pic. The man is a virtual smorgasboard of visual aides. Another example of the awesome support on this forum.

Wow thanks for the pic XPLORx4,

Now you will be disappointed, not sure if I'm really up to pulling the hubs. I guess it might mean a trip to the shop. The Pathy is pretty much my wife's vehicle and not really ready to listen to the whining etc if things don't work out or if it takes longer than I thought....

Thanks again though... this site rocks!!

Aaron