UCA loose bolts ---FYI

SteeevO

today i got outta the pathy and started to take a look around as i do once in a while and i noticed that the nuts that are on each side of the UCA's were lose.. i know i had a torque wrench when i tightend these down to 75 ft/lbs so just wanted everyone to keep a look out for loose nuts....

-Steven

I had this problem persistantly. The solution is double nuts. Don't f- around with this problem - too dangerous. Double nut and forget about it.

How do you fit two nuts on the UCA spindle? That thing is short to begin with. Both of mine have about two threads showing.

Just put another nut on after the first nut. It hangs way off the end, but solves the problem. The nut to nut friction keeps either one from backing off. (sorry about the gross innuendo :-)

It's not that I forget about the situation (my mechanic does a thorough full undercarriage inspection every 3000 miles), it's that my UCA hasn't come loose again in well over 100,000 miles.

Keep an eye on the ones going through that spindle into the frame also, they have been known to strip and pull themselves out.

True! Just happened to me, but those bolts are easier to figure out, because your alignment shims fall out and you can feel the excess movement in the steering wheel, etc.

I agree with GG and others;I also had frame bolts holding UCA spindle to frame pull out;only it stripped the threads on the bolt AND the frame;had to have the frame rethreaded with a time-cert;what a PITA. The UCA was hanging on by the other loose and bent bolt;was 40 miles off road in Joshua Tree back country;almost didn't make it out. glenn