Rocker panel/door protection (NOT SLIDERS)

I have been searching for some prices for the same panels that run on the bottom of the doors(polyurathane/fiderglass)?? XPLORx4 has them they came OEM on i believe LE models in 98, i have been doing some searching and can find anything, i just don't want to get them at the dealer because i could imagine $$$$. The reason that i want these is one i have liked the look second i had a nasty peice of steel catch my tire in on the road and gave me a nice scratch/dent along the bottom of the door.

Thanks

Are you talking about side steps? SE models have always had them, and they are good for preventing accidents like what you described, and also keep mud and debris from dinging up the rockers.

LE models had wussy running boards.

Sliders>Side Steps>Nothing>Running Boards

Or....you could just go down to WallyWorld and pick up a can of RhinoLiner. That would actually protect your truck and not look ridiculous - ok, it would look ridiculous, but it would look hardc0re, yo! :D

My QX4 side steps saved my doors,

my car was tilted sideways on a muddy river bank, and slid against a huge rock, came to a rest with all the weight of the car on the side step, 4x4 kept pulling like a champ, and my rocker panels saved my doors!! Doors are untouched but the rocker panel has a good 2 feet of destruction.

without the panels, i would have ruined the doors

Edited by FUELER

If your rocker panels weren't there...the doors would be the bottom of the body. :crazy: The rocker panels aren't meant to protect the doors, and the plastic trim crap isn't meant to protect anything either. The plastic trim is NOT a rocker panel, and it is NOT rock protection. It is aesthetic trim...no more.

The only way to protect your sheetmetal from rocks is so stay the hell away from them!

I would tend to agree with Venge, other than they are easily replaceable (sp?). This makes them just perfect to pull off and replace every couple years...esp if you are able to leave them black.

I also hunted for this rocker panel/door bottom trim...found it in a bone yard, and also learned that it doesn't peel off really well. :shrug: I think that this stuff is sweet, it protects from small rocks thrown against the truck and could be replaced...personally way better than spraying rhino-liner on the rockers and/or the doors. I would still spray the rockers as I have been shiopping for the best estimate--labor for this small area is the iller!

You would just have to buy it new, unless there is a more skilled way of removal...heat gun would have helped but I didn't have acess to power out there so oh well to that one!

To add to what 98silver said, 3M makes a polymer coating that is invisible that is supposed to protect against rock chips from small rocks getting thrown up into your paint. It's extremely expensive, but if you're concerned with your paint, then it might be worth it.

Personally, I've got so many pinstripes/pinestripes/desert stripes and scratches on my truck, I just don't care....I like them....they're battle scars, I wear em with pride.

Speaking of which...I've been meaning to get a sticker made:

"Those ain't scratches, they're battle scars!"