STOLEN: VW SAND RAIL/DUNE BUGGY

Slick

ok. so... Dave's bro is selling his dune buggy.. it's a 2000 something VW. Runs awesome, lots of new parts. only run in Pismo last labor day since rebuild.

It's a 4 speed, and everything works great. Zippy little bugger and runs great in sand or dirt. No rust and it comes with a set of rear sand tires as well as the custom built trailer alan made for it. all registration is current, off road tags til June 2006, trailer is a perm trailer with current reg also.

Everything up to date n ready to rumble!!! he decided wheelin with me was more fun sly so the buggy has to go.

He want's $3,500 OBO

Info: VW 1600 dual port motor

009 distributor

large aftermarket carb.. i think it's a webber 48

and all kinds of other stuff i do not understand..... :blink:

and the roll bar padding rules cuz i did it all brand new last summer just before Pismo :takebow::takebow:

**THIS SAND RAIL/DUNE BUGGY IS IN CALIFORNIA**

pics can be seen here in my photobucket:

http://s9.photobucket.com/albums/a77/Slick...%20SAND%20RAIL/

EDIT BY MOD:

THIS WAS STOLEN THURSDAY JUNE 15, 2006 AT APPROXIMATELY 5:00AM IN OR AROUND MANTECA, CALIFORNIA. IF SEEN PLEASE CONTACT SLICK.STOLEN RAIL

Edited by Slick

• 1 month later...

thanks guys. the most tell tale signs are the upper rear lights (notice the blue diamond thingies in them) and the custom built t trailer alan built for it. they stole EVERYTHING......including the "for sale" sign which was taped on.

Tomorrow I am off to kinko's tog et some flyers printed, and i have no doubt it will end up down south in the pismo area for sale (painted/modified) of course as the 4th of july weekend is coming up and rails are in demand.

ANYONE IN CALIFORNIA/NEVADA/ARIZONA/OREGON are PLEASE keep yer eyes peeled on craigs list and local ads.

thanks guys! :bow: :beer:

Edited by Slick

UPDATE:

Neighbors report two (2) males and a Pickup Truck this morning at 4:AM.

Neighbors report a Hispanic Male in a grey or silver car taking photographs of the back of the rail/trailer and the tree it was chained to yesterday morning.

Here's an idea. Make a posting on all California area Craigslist markets. Put it up as stolen with pictures to get the word out even further. Make sure you give detailed description of certain area or the rig and trailer (such as the one you already mentioned) Who knows, they might try to sell it no where near you, so the further the word is spread the better.

Bay Area Craigslist

Eyes peeled in NoCal.

This was reported stolen to police, right? So if I see it tooling along the opposite way on I-5 while I drive to Portland and back I can just call it in? (I see a lot of sand rails and other toys on I-5 on their way to Oregon Dunes...)

Edited by mws

yes. both the rail and trailer were registered with the dmv, and the local police came and made a report and took a cd i made of pics of the rail.

the rail has been advertised on 8 different craigs lists as stolen, especially bakersfield, fresno, san diego areas. i have a feeling it is either over the border by now or being prepped for sale on the beach at pismo over july 4th weekend.

it is also posted on sites such as friends of oceano dunes, dunebuggies.com and several other offroad sites, as well as the great NPORA members who have also posted it on their local/off road oriented websites.

tomorrow we are going to make color flyers and distribute them around the surrounding towns here.

here is just one of the craigs list ads...

http://modesto.craigslist.org/car/171972476.html

there are also many more pics in my photobucket album here ~~> http://s9.photobucket.com/albums/a77/Slick...%20SAND%20RAIL/

it is exactly the same ad on 7 other CL's . we posted those by 7pm last night.. in a case like this, there is NO time to waste if we want it back. :sniff:

and THANK YOU goes out to EVERYONE on NPORA for their help, good wishes and comments about death to the theives.. alan only has 1 payment left on his 50 cal S & W.. what better way to use it eh sly

**one thing to note. they took the rail in darkness, and the wiring was not complete, so the trailer HAD NO LIGHTS. at 4am SOMEONE must've seen it. i am trying to get local papers to publish pics and a story, but with crazy work, i haven't been able to pursue it to a greater extent yet.

We live right by the 120 bypass, I=99 and I-5 AND I-205 :huh:

** i also have a friend who is a DA's assistant, and does work for the FBI, i am going to ask her if she can get the 1 lock the theives cut and left outside the house fingerprinted. sly

Edited by Slick

here's the flyer we made today:

wouldn't show the page cuz it's being an ass.. but ehre's what it says.. then there's 4 pics of the rail below it.

*STOLEN!!! VW SAND RAIL/DUNE BUGGY*

Stolen on Thurs, June 15th between 4-5am from (near 120 bypass) on South Airport Way in Manteca. There is a REWARD for information leading to its whereabouts/recovery! At the time of theft the rail was bright orange, and was on a custom built T trailer, exactly as pictured below. Both rail and trailer were off road registered and titled. The trailer is a permanent trailer plate # California 4GG7015. It had incomplete wiring at the time of theft so had NO WORKING LIGHTS on the trailer when stolen!! This would have been a very obvious/ distinguishing item in the dark, and maybe a car or truck was following close behind to cover the fact.

PLEASE, if you see a vehicle fitting this description, or are offered similar parts for sale, call us!!! even if you’re not sure! Tel: 209-823-0302 or 510-978-0156

Edited by Slick

• 3 weeks later...
Any news?

-bounce- YES!!!!! we got a phone call last night from a younger guy who works in french camp (next town kinda over from where i am) and he saw it heading towards stockton last night on his way home from work! he said he remembered the exhaust, and the theives painted the trailer red.

so, needless to say, this weekend we'll be searching. he said "it's stilla orund"..... we think maybe the theives took it to pismo for 4th of july and were on their way home with it. P...P...

• 2 weeks later...
What's the word on this Slick?

not much now.... if we ever get the time........ we're gunna go look for it around some places..... but if alan is not bothered about lookin for it... why should i be? not my rail :huh: no new news since july 5th :sniff:

• 8 months later...
damn, really very sorry you havent had any news (or any news that has been posted here) i hate thieves

yeah, us too. haven't heard a peep. it's long gone by now.... :(