Installed my Oil Filter Relocation Kit today

nige

It took me about 2 hours by myself. I bought the transadapt brand kit which is a decent kit at about $80 cdn except my application required a couple of brass 90 degree elbows, teflon tape, some different mounting hardware and some hose clamps thrown in the mix. When i got the kit, there were no hose clamps on the brass fittings connected to the hose and i'd strongly advise buying some and installing them just for peace of mind. I also had to make a special bracket to mount the new filter on as I have cruise control, air conditioning and other random wires running over the usual spot to intall the filter, which kept me from replicating slick's install (thanks for the pics anyways :D). The hardest part was screwing in the adapter plate where the old filter went because of the two stupid hoses attached to the plate, and trying to hold to new o-ring in place while you screw the plate on. besides that the rest was easy. I ended up putting about 4 litres of oil in as opposed to the usual 3 1/2 or so. The only other advice I have is to make sure there are no kinks in your hoses and check the fittings for leaks after you install it.

I would rate the project about a 2 of 5 on a difficulty scale, as maritime man once said it was easier to install it with the engine out of the bay. I will have some pictures as soon as i get my hands on a camera.

Can't wait to do the exhaust headers next :cool2:.

cool deal skri! glad you got it on. yeah.. shoulda tried to put the new "plate" to the block then install the hoses..... but either way, sucker is on. yeah.. i don't have the CC on mine. can't wait to see pics! -bounce- :clap::aok:

Edited by Slick

Good job, and post pics. I've got every option under the sun plus multiple relays for various lights and stuff I've already mounted on the PS fender. Lets see your idea, although I'll probably have to fab something for mine at this rate. Mmmmmm... headers.

post your pics. I'm in the process of fabbing a bracket to mount in teh bolt holes where that stupid wiring harness is and wrapping around to put the relo kit on top of it (moved the top zip-tie bundle down lower on the bracket. Should work but I'd like to see your solution.

This is the side profile. I just barely fit under there. The tops of the elbows actually tuck neatly into one of the pockets in the structure of the hood:

dscf00151xv.jpg

Here is the actual filter. You can see the bottoms of the nuts holding the bracket on. It was supposed to have 3 bolts in it, but i had to reposition it to get the hoses to stop kinking and the elbows to clear the hood. The bracket itself was about 3 inches wide and 10 inches long, with about a 30 degree bend around a quarter of the way up the bracket. I unscrewed and moved a small metal bracket that supports some electrical stuff to make room for the bottom of the bracket. The harness coming from the positive battery post could neatly be tucked around the back of the bracket holding the filter on. The hoses were a tad bit short, but they worked.

dscf00118rh.jpg

Here is the adapter plate in place on the block. I found it was easiest to pass the plate between the inner fender and the frame beside the shock mount. From there, let the hoses dangle out into the wheel well and begin to screw it onto the nipple while hooking your fingers around the back of the plate to hold the rubber o-ring on (i dipped my fingers in oil to make it slide a little easier. This was the biggest p.i.t.a. throughout the install.

dscf00131iy.jpg

If you guys need more pictures to built it yourself, just let me know.

Nice!

Do you think there would be room to fit one of the double filter set ups in there?

Not that I need double the filtering capacity, but since the big-A Ford filters hold almost a quart each, it would add another significant increase in oil capacity over stock. And help cooling a touch as well.

unless you moved the fuel filter, probably not. Then again, if you don't have cruise control and all the damn wires going everywhere like mine does, you might be able to get it to work. I also looked at putting it in between the battery and the fan, but it looked pretty snug down there. I'm not familiar with these dual kits, and i don't know what they look like, but if that guy ebaying his '95 can fit 2 optimas in there, i bet you could run a dual setup. it all depends on if you feel like moving stuff around under the hood, and i'm not that comfortable doing that especially when it comes to electrical stuff . :blink: