4WIS

unccpathfinder

I've always been kind of intreaged by the ground clearance the humvee's had around bragg and they run 4WIS and don't seem to get stuck a whole lot...the only problem i've seen with them is they aren't locked so they can sometimes get the wheel spin where its not desired which i think that can be fixed...

i also know that the drivetrain is a lil crazy if i recall the way run is the driveshafts come in on the top side and drives a gear or on the acutal wheel or something to that effect so the transmission actually has 4 reverse gears and 1 forwards gear (if u referenced it to a normal tranny)...which i think this would pose the biggest problem but i think it could be worked around in a normal truck just not have as much ground clearance b/c the hogheads would be lower by about 6-9 ins

so i was kind of wondering if any1 had tried to build an IRS for our trucks and if so would it be worth it and/or give you advantages over SAS

i think that it'd be interesting

hummers arent made to crawl (if i had a hummer it wouldnt be for crawling), they are made for 'explorering' and trailriding, just look at how freakin big they are, jeeps would do better crawling then a hummer (assumeing both are stock)

making IRS for our rigs IMO isnt worth the time and money

and yeah hummers have cvs that come in off center of the hub enabling it to run coils and having more gear reduction at the wheels

and i dont ever remember seeing a pic of a hummer flexing but i dont think they do it very good

Edited by FLApathy

Hummers run portal hubs on independent suspension all round. Solid axles are much cheaper and flex much better than any IFS/IRS setup. Also solid axles are much more dependable due to less moving components. The only thing better than a straight forward solid axle is a portal gear solid axle.

You see Hummers aren't really designed for off roading. They're designed to carry troops and gear over rough terrain and ripped apart roads. Just to give you an idea... a Unimog (Portal Solid Axles) would not only crawl over the hole that a Hummer was stuck in, it would crawl over the Hummer itself.

Not to mention that portal axles weigh well over 1000 lbs each, complete. Can you imagine more than a ton of weight just in two axles under a Nissan? Wow.

There are some portal axles that are much lighter though. G-Class Mercedes and smaller mogs would have them, here's what one of the guys I know is doing:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=450288

(It pains me to look at that thread cause I was offered one of those mogs for sale for CHEAP but lack of room to keep a glorified farm tractor for extended periods of time prevented me from doing so)

Not to mention that portal axles weigh well over 1000 lbs each, complete. Can you imagine more than a ton of weight just in two axles under a Nissan? Wow.

well i'd def think u'd have to drop in a huge desiel if it'd fit

humvees are tough tho...my buddies dad's got dropped from like 200ft from a chinook when a cable broke loose and the idiot piolot cut it loose when it was top down instead of wheels down but the next day they had a new top on it and were riding again

just always thought they were cool runnin on those huge superswampers with the 15ft ham radio antenna and like a foot or 2 of ground clearance

Actually I find that Hummers no longer do it for me ever since I discovered the VBL:

VBL is a 4 ton class 4x4 armored vehicle offered in short or long versions, offered in various configurations including infantry carrier, scout, intelligence and EW, liaison, security, command, anti-tank and anti-aircraft roles. Over 2,400 are operational or on order with 15 world armies. The vehicle offers high mobility on land, and has full amphibious capability. It is also deployable on helicopters and transport aircraft, such as C-160 and C-130. The VBL has an integral steel armored hull, providing protection against 7.62mm and fragmentation, and anti-personnel mines. It has a payload of 1 ton, including crew and armament.

vbl1.jpg

vbl2.jpg

vbl3.jpg

vbl4.jpg

vbl5.jpg

vbl6.jpg

vbl7.jpg

vbl.gif

no im not sure they're not locked but i've seen some pix where the least loaded tires were just spinning...

i've always wanted a deuce and a half as well...theres a big 1 down on the coast that he drives out there and tows out stuck folks and that thing is awsome i've heard they're great in sand/mud but horrible in the snow