My Speedo is off!

I had the feeling it was reading 5 mph too fast (especially when I would run past one of those Police Dept. trailers with the radar gun thingy on it that says "Speed Limit, Your Speed" and I always seemed to slow down too much :angry: ) So I paced my wife when she was driving and sure anough... 5 mph. off. Interesting. It's not a big deal, kind of interesting tho. Any other R50's here have a bum speedo?

And no, I didn't replace tires...in fact, I still have stockers on the thing.

hmm... maybe replace the tires then... :D

I like my Baldie Bridestone's, tho. :)

All joking aside, I AM pretty impressed w/ the longevity I got out of them. Then again, I've only had the thing 3 months and the previous owner never wheeled it (I don't think) They're not worth a crap offroad though :oops:

Edited by navygz19

How do you know your other car's speedometer is accurate? Maybe yours is 2.5mph off, and the other is 2.5mph off in the other direction.

Also, note that the error isn't a fixed mph value, it's a percentage of your current speed. If your speedometer is off 5mph at 50mph, then it will be 2.5mph off at 25mph, and 10mph off at 100mph.

Increasing or decreasing tire size as appropriate will partially mitigate the error.

Edited by XPLORx4

How do you know your other car's speedometer is accurate? Maybe yours is 2.5mph off, and the other is 2.5mph off in the other direction.

Possibly...though a little too ironic I think.

But as I said before, when I go by one of those radar-ed Police Dept. Trailers they ALWAYS read 5 mph off...and there's a lot of them here (I'm next to Virginia Beach)

Remember that new tires have a good 1" more diameter than worn-out tires due to the new, non-worn-out tread blocks. There's your 5 MPH.

Yeah your probably right 88...I'm sure that's what it is.