What should a new o2 sensor have run me?

zack1978

Hey everyone,

As noted in an eailer post, I was having issues with the check engine light on my 1995. Well the shop took it in and found that in fact that the o2 sensor was bad. They replaced the o2 sensor and all seems well. HOwever the total bill with tax was $407.00. Was that expensive? The part alone was 210.00. Did I get ripped off?

Thanks,

Zack

That does sound quite high. It's pretty much a straight forward procedure. If the sensor is easily removed (not rusted and seized), it's only a 15 minute job to replace. Remove sensor, unplug the other end from the harness and then feed the new one up and over the engine and replug in.

Did they have a problem removing the old one? Do they show a labor charge on the invoice?

Well the labor also included time to figure out what was wrong in the first place. So there was time to check the computer, etc. I am not sure if the old o2 sensor broke off or not. The total labor part was around $170.00. Where is the o2 sensor located on my Path? I want to look at it so that if it ever does it again, I can fix it myself.

Thanks,

Zack

Yep look for something that screws into your exhaust with a long wire sheath on the other end that goes up over the tranny toward the engine. Should be easy to spot new. Plugs in driver's side engine bay mounted at the fender, probably a gray harness.

Sounds like you got taken for $400, sorry man. I just got a new one from AutoZone for $95. It's a really easy piece to get to and remove, granted it's not too seized with corrosion like Mookie said. Tools required: 1 wrench, can of PB Blaster. A quick read of the ECU should have immediately prompted bad O2 sens. They doubled the part cost and charged you $170 to diagnose a quick plug into the computer? I'd find another shop next time.

Edited by Earth1

Plugs in driver's side engine bay mounted at the fender, probably a gray harness.

passenger's side

i paid around $40 for my sensor. it took me forever to replace it though. it was spot welded in there. it was a huge PITA. had to remove the x member etc... btw. it's a 22mm wrench

i paid 110 for mine from the local dealership. It cost about 40 for someone to install. i diagnosed the problem myself reading the ECU code. I think it was code 33 if i'm not mistaken.

all prices in loonies

. Where is the o2 sensor located on my Path? I want to look at it so that if it ever does it again, I can fix it myself.

Thanks,

Zack

your wish is my command