I need to replace my HORN

findmypath

Hi everyone,

I officially had enough. I live in Chicago and there are a lot of jackasses who don't know how to drive. What drove me to write about this is the fact that today I almost got my entire right side of my pathfinder crushed by some guy in a Civic. Anyways, the question to everyone ----is there a Nissan horn which is a deeper tone than the one on my 03 pathfinder that I can just install---simple swap. Whichever engineer thought that the current horn in the pathfinder is the right one for the car was really wrong. The horn sounds like a roadrunner horn. An SUV like the pathfinder should have a deep--"get the hell out of my way" kinda a tone. -argue-

So......is there a horn that I can just swap out???

Thanks.

what? i think our horns are freaking awesome! and what 88 said. i also had a set of air horns on my f-150 at one time and they were cool as hell. they were a little high pitched but sure worked wonders on stupid drivers.. haha btw. they are actually pretty simple to install.

Air horns sure can 'wake' up those 'other' drivers!

A less expensive method is to go to the junkyard and find some Cadillac or other "big car" horns. The tone is deeper and lower than the stock horns.

as a fellow Chicagoin I must say that im insulted by your comments about people who cant drive around here :D ....and maybe you shouldnt have been in YOUR lane :o ....and it dosent matter if you had a 150db horn cause they couldnt have heard ya over the booming music and them being on their cell phone :angry: seriously though un's idea of a train horn would be bad but mookies idea is the most practical

First of all FORDSHO90 must be in the suburbs bc in downtown Chicago its a free for all. People drive putting make up on, reading books, and typing on their blackberry. So....that aside I still stand by my previous comment that Chicago drivers suck.

Thanks to all of those who advised me go to the regular parts store :clap: ...thanks but no thanks. I remember my friend a while ago tried to put one of those "one size fits all" horn and what ended up happening is that he had NO horn whatsoever. I was asking for a NISSAN horn....maybe like the Titan, or the ARMADA.

I'm still open to any further suggestions.

Thanks. :aok:

Buddy of mine years ago had an RX7 with a tri-tone airhorn. It was hooked to his alarm too. Took us all of 2 hours to install. It came with its own canister/minicompressor. As soon as I find it it is going in the BEERFINDER. I hate that "MEEP MEEP" sound too. But the local [insert quippy parts store name here] parts store should have something. Though it is fun to do custom stuff sometimes a simple bolt-on is the answer.

First of all FORDSHO90 must be in the suburbs bc in downtown Chicago its a free for all. People drive putting make up on, reading books, and typing on their blackberry. So....that aside I still stand by my previous comment that Chicago drivers suck.

Thanks to all of those who advised me go to the regular parts store :clap: ...thanks but no thanks. I remember my friend a while ago tried to put one of those "one size fits all" horn and what ended up happening is that he had NO horn whatsoever. I was asking for a NISSAN horn....maybe like the Titan, or the ARMADA.

I'm still open to any further suggestions.

Thanks. :aok:

well, at least a few of us here have done the aftermarket upgrade and sounds like we all enjoyed them and they worked just fine. don't just fail because of your buddy. B)

3 words

public-address-speaker

nothing says get the hell outta my way like 150db of "get the hell outta the way!" lol

but seriously, maybe get a dual horn from an older car (my buick one is loud as piss). these are usually in 2 diff tones.

i cant comment on the lil self-contained air horns cuz iv never heard those. i have had people tell me they sound rather corny in comparison to one thats run by a large compressor (like a big rig). if you wanted to install a large compressor, id vote train horn. a buddy of mine had one on his big rig and he could rattle the windows rollin down main.

• 1 year later...

I know this is an old thread, but i wanted to add i've just installed a Wolo model 419 air horn. This one, it's the first one at the top:

http://www.wolo-mfg.com/air.htm

This puppy is LOUD! I love it. The tone is like a train, and it's supposed to be 118 db. I can't help but say Mooo-haw-haw-haw :bounce: every time i honk it lol. I had to add a ground wire and extend the existing horn wire. Also, a tip for any one else who might get one, test fit the horn before drilling a mounting hole, close the hood to see. where i thought mine would fit, after all done and tools were put away, i tried to shut my hood and the horn was about an inch too tall (the air compressor). I just cannibalized the stock mount and used it to lower the whole horn. I can't wait till the next idiot pulls in front of me...

One thing to keep in mind - people who just shat their pants or had a heart attack are pretty dangerous company! So I prefer to stick to VERY LOUD but not heart stopping loud. I use Fiamm electric horns as stock replacement. Pretty much like the loudest stock horns you've ever heard.

But then a secondary bowel moving horn can be fun (and useful) at times... but use it selectively - ie, not when oscar grope is driving by a crowd of school children.

One thing to keep in mind - people who just shat their pants or had a heart attack are pretty dangerous company! So I prefer to stick to VERY LOUD but not heart stopping loud. I use Fiamm electric horns as stock replacement. Pretty much like the loudest stock horns you've ever heard.

But then a secondary bowel moving horn can be fun (and useful) at times... but use it selectively - ie, not when oscar grope is driving by a crowd of school children.

LOL, i totally get your point. I'll have to give it a couple of days and see what i think. I tried the Fiamm highway blaster, i wasn't thrilled with the sound. I'm not sure if it was the tone (i think it said F) or if maybe i didn't have it ground well. I tried it in the pep boys parking lot, and returned it. I'm not thrilled with the price of the wolo, but it gets out. We'll see.

Oh, and who's oscar grope?

There is a truck driving school across the street from where I work and this short fat guy(who we call cotton!!) has a older body style f-250 and it has way too much crap on it. but he has two sets of semi horns on his front bumper facing the pavement. And he uses them every time he backs up.