94 Pathfinder does not start

Guest neius

Guest neius

My 94 pathfinder does not start. When I turn the key, my pathfinder only makes one click sound, (the sound is located near the driver's side fuse box), then nothing. Last week it did the same thing, but then I tried once more and presto, the truck started. I didnt think much about the problem until now. Also, on my last start of the truck, the starter sounded like my battery was low. Currently, I have tried to jump start the truck, change the batt, but with no avail. Can you help me?

• 3 weeks later...

And the old "whack it with a hammer" trick works wonders on any vehicle, from a Geo Metro to a Peterbuilt tractor. It's just that the solinoid (sp?) is shot. You NORMALLY have to have someone crank on the key while you bang away. At least that is what I remember from an old Impala I had.

A bit late, but... does your power level also start to drop (or drop out completely) after the click or after a couple more tries?

Check all battery connections, from the terminal to post to the connections at the starter and the grounds.

Take the terminals off and clean the inside of them and the battery posts. If you have aftermarket terminals that clamo on to the cables then take the cable out, clean it and the terminal and reinstall them. Might even cut the end of the cable off. strip back the insulation a bit more and reinstall the terminals. That way you have some fresh metal to make the contacts with

Starter and grounds, remove them and cleanup the contacts... scrap them if need be to expose shiny metal.

I have had this happen on a number of vehicles in the past... sometimes its just a matter of cleaning electrical connections and not replacing major parts :aok: