my NEW pathy - Newbie

rmd0311

Hello all.. I'm a newbie to this site and truly love the Pathy. The MPG's are killing me. I get about 15-16 mixed highway and surburban, I live in a very mountanous area so I guess its normal.

CIMG0688.JPG

Can't wait to do light off-roading and hopefully mod it a bit.

Love the Forum and look forward to sharing with all of you.

Welcome!! 16 -17 mpg is about average. 18 mpg on a good day. Check the NPORA search. There is a pretty long thread on it. Look forward to seeing some of your future mods and maybe some off roading pics.

Edited by Trialsin26

Well., thanks for the heads up.. I'm starting to feel right at home with the MPG's....

After a lot of searching through the forums, I gather that the first thing I want to do is get me some brushgard (grill guard). I have read alot about them in the forum and gather that Manik, Waag and actually saw an original Nissan one that looked great. Anyone have anything else to add? Preference and/or experience with a particular brand. (I'm thinking Manik front, WAAG back...)

http://www.autoanything.com/grille-guards/60A1237A0A0.aspx - Rear Bumper

http://www.autoanything.com/grille-guards/60A2284A0A0.aspx - Grille Guard

OR99 - Your pathy looks great - the picture looks like it should belong in an advertisement somewhere. I love to see when people take such great care of their vehicles.

Again, loving the forum...

or99, what's up with the montana plates? i thought it was GA?

Front Montana plate (came off a Montana car) because I live in Livingston, MT in the summers. It's there for show and to remind me of how beautiful the place is! :)

rmd- As far as brushguards go, I personally don't like them very much because they look tough but are not. Don't go thinking your front end is invincible; brush guards can actually cause more damage in a light collision than without one. I would prefer you to put on an ARB bumper, but those are $$$.

If you must, the best looking brush guard IMHO is the accesory Nissan one.

I HATE rear guards, I think it looks terrible, plus nothing says mall-crawler like that. Do you honestly think that an off-roader would have one? :oops:

Save the $$$ you would spend on front, rear, and taillight guards and just get an ARB. Bottom link is a Pathfinder that is Sierra Silver just like ours and has an unpainted black ARB, and a little lift.

abomb1 has the Manik guard:

abomb1

Halfway down and to the left is my favorite Pathfinder, belonging to Marc. He has the ARB bumper (hope he doesn't mind):

Marc's Pathfinder

Edited by OR99.5Speed

I agree that the grill guard is pretty much pointless. If you want a more aggressive look, consider spending that money on lifting the pathfinder and slapping on some new rims. The black steelies give a really nice look.

I disagree on the pointlessness of the grill guards. I have sliced a Honda and killed a jeep with mine. Although they don't protect much at high speed, they do extend the support of the bumper up to the top of the hood for minor impacts. If you run into something higher than your bumper, at least you have a chance of survival. Without it, your grill and probably radiator are toast.

with that said... I would also reco getting skids or a lift before worrying about a grill guard.

Edited by k9sar

with that said... I would also reco getting skids or a lift before worrying about a grill guard.

I do agree with that.

rmd- I don't know your intentions with the truck; I want mine not to be a hardcore off-roader but more of a compromise between grocery-getter and moderate trail wheeler. If you are like me, you should start out with skids (at least replace the factory splash guard, mine is half ripped off), AT or MT tires, and a mild lift, either AC or OME.

Then you can start adding body protection. Brush guards, winch bumpers, etc. look retarded on stock height, all-season tire rigs. :rolleyes:

The main reasoning behind the grill guard is to protect from minor scratches to bumper. Might make no sense when off roading, which I really can't wait. Have not done it since the military where my vehicle was this:::

fox1.jpg

fox2.jpg

fox3.jpg

This vehicle could get through anything... Best part was jumping in the water with it. The Humvee's where good too, but nothing compared to this. It was designed to go anywhere at anytime. It's the Fox M93A1 Reconnaisance Vehicle.

Back to bumpers... I drive to the NYC alot, and you would not believe how many scratches my bumper has in a matter of months.

Now aren't there bull guards that come with skids??? Is raising it a must for off-roading with the pathy?

Roddy

or99 what is a good set of tires for mild off-roading? money is not flowing so budget is tight. The pathy stock is 255/65-16 which is like 29 - 29.5 at the most...

Let me know... Do note that this is my primary mode of transportation, hence I need something that can respond just as well on the road.

Wow! Respect to you for your service! Now we have you and the Navy guy! :bow:

I can understand now why you want a bit of light armor!

I would think about a bit of light armor for the bumpers, but read the thread in Off Topic (OT) about a possible ban on brush guards in the state of New York, not sure if that's your state. Don't know if it will happen, but certainly something to consider.

As for the tires, you can be like me and wait for the all-seasons that previous owner put on to wear out or you can get a nice, decently aggressive AT set of tires good for dirt, snow, rain, and dry.

Ditch the 255/65-16 size and upgrade to either 245/75, 255/70 (which is what I have now), or 265/70. My tires only rub a tiny, tiny bit when reversing at full lock on an off-camber hill like a steep driveway, nothing to worry about. The subject has been covered before, feel free to run a search on what will fit. I say the latter two sizes I listed.

For tire shopping, go to:

The Tire Rack

If I had $$$ and wanted great looks, I would go for the BFG AT.

If I had some $$$ and wanted great quality, I would go for the Bridgestone Dueler Revo AT (excellent choice)

If I had not enough for Revos I would buy either the Yokohama Geolandar ATII or the Firestone Destination AT. Both are fantastic tires, we had Destinations on our Jeep and loved 'em.

Skids are just for off-roading; if you do none of this don't worry about skids. I would however address your suspension with either an AC lift or an OME lift. I prefer the OME lift but everyone has an opinion.

Search for a suspension lift thread here. I started a poll about it this past December and got excellent answers. Unfortunately I had to get a camera instead.

Good luck and keep asking questions!

Edited by OR99.5Speed

Wow! Respect to you for your service! Now we have you and the Navy guy! :bow:

Ah ha FORMER Navy guy (I'm a reservist now :D )

Welcome to the boards rmd...love the Recon vehicle!

I too bought my Pathy relatively recently and want to mod it. I just don't have a ton of $$ to do it. I just ordered skids from AC (the shipping on the Blackpanther ones was killing me!) before anything else. I didn't even have a splash guard when I bought my Pathy. Next up is some new tires...BFG A/T's for a more aggressive look and better grabbage (my Bridgestone stockers are :furious: worthless offroad and in mud!) A slow but gradual modding to your truck is the way to go...gives you the ability to appreciate everything you do to it.

Again, welcome! And thanks for your service :aok:

Great stuff., great to see a felow veteran. I just finished my 8 year commitment in December. I think I'm going a slower different way. I saw the price of those skids on that 4x4 site and it scared me. Almost $500 for the whole vehicle. I think my first line of action will be getting some new tires that look rough and perform rough. I won't be doing anything heavy fast. Getting the Revo's and then... Will go from there. If everything goes as planned the skids will come after that, maybe a lift... (not sure yet)

Now, I have read in many places that the biggest I can go 31 - 10.5... I just want to get more on that... I don't like the lifts too much, i guess they'll have to grow into me, probably out of necessity. Want to change my tires first though and want to make sure that going say with the Revo's ( 30.1 - 10.3) is not going to kill me in any way. Mpg wise and make sure it does not rub anywhere.

Great stuff., great to see a felow veteran. I just finished my 8 year commitment in December. I think I'm going a slower different way. I saw the price of those skids on that 4x4 site and it scared me. Almost $500 for the whole vehicle. I think my first line of action will be getting some new tires that look rough and perform rough. I won't be doing anything heavy fast. Getting the Revo's and then... Will go from there. If everything goes as planned the skids will come after that, maybe a lift... (not sure yet)

Now, I have read in many places that the biggest I can go 31 - 10.5... I just want to get more on that... I don't like the lifts too much, i guess they'll have to grow into me, probably out of necessity. Want to change my tires first though and want to make sure that going say with the Revo's ( 30.1 - 10.3) is not going to kill me in any way. Mpg wise and make sure it does not rub anywhere.

"MPG's" and "Pathfinder" should never be included in the same sentance, unless your talking about how thirsty these pigs are :lol:

With that in mind, be careful with what tires you install...remember bigger=higher=increase wind resistance.

Roddy-

As others have said, thank you for your service.

For your tire question, I have researched this recently as well for my 01 SE. You will find this forum to be very helpful.

My goal, similar to yours, is to fit the tallest possible tire on a stock suspension with little or no rubbing. I have not bought anything yet, but when the time comes I will be buying Yokohama Geolander AT +2, size 255/70. From what I hear, the size should be fine. You can possibly to bigger, but I dont want to do any suspension mods until my shocks/struts wear out. And since my Pathy only has 43k miles and is 90% pavement, that should not be for a while.As for the tire, the Geolander is similar in tread to the Revo, but less expensive. $91 each vs $129 each on tirerack.com for the 255/70 size. Also watch buying LT size tires, as I understand that they do not come with a mileage warrantee.

That is my two cents.