Look what I just realized

navygz19

So I just got bacik from the local mud pit and was looking at another thread in this section by nycxice13 about what parts usually break first when off roading and checked out the link in there to http://www.blackpantherskidplates.com (thanks Pezzy!) so I decided to go sheck out the crappy plastic splash guard on my '02 and INSTEAD found this...

Dsc01071.jpg

Dsc01072.jpg

OMG :o It desn't exist!! Too bad I just realized this, after taking the Pathy to the beach and mud pit numerous times. My next step I suppose is to go ahead and get some real skid plates! Maybe it was fate that would bring all of that together for me today...and bring me to the realization that it would be a good idea. Anyhoo, thanks for posting that link Pezzy (even though you were directing that to someone else!) What do you recommend? I'm not interested in the painted/powder coated type. Thanks!

Well, you really arent missing much -- here's mine before I replaced it - it's broken up pretty good along the back, I think it was ripped off a few of the bolts too.

blackpanther_armor037008.jpg

and here's the damage I could have avoided if I had a skidplate instead of the fisherprice POS splashguard Nissan put on the truck:

blackpanther_armor037007.jpg

If you do plan on doing some offroading - I do suggest Marcel's skidplates... dont expect the splash guard to save you from much more than... well... splashes. B)

If you want to be protected from splashes - there might be a someone who still has theirs (and hasnt played smash up derby with it) maybe you can pick one up off of them.

Yeah I do plan on getting some now. I guess it's a good investment, bent subframe vs. skidplate purchase is a no brainer. Thanks for the pics.

plus that crossmember is $631 USD and what pezzy like $34,324,874.42 CD???

its well worth it. your next question is probably which ones to get? - easy 3/16" super skid kit. why you ask - the 10 guage is just a super glorified splash guard. and yes - get the powdercoated. lol

DAN crushed a rock with his 3/16" - dan chime in?

That WAS my next question, your right. The 10-gauge really is that bad? I do go wheeling quite often, but I'm not a crawler by any means, hence I wouldn't think I need the 3/16", but I guess you never know what your gonna run into when traveling an unknown trail right?

True.

Can't wait for them to come out w/ the T/C plate as well...

well marcel (black panther) is working on the t/c skid.

i know dean (xplorx4) and myself along with a few others im sure have invested in the xterra tcase skid. if you check deans website www.xplorx4.com and go down to armor on the main page. there is a write up on it and part numbers etc. its cheap $28 shipped insurence.

well marcel (black panther) is working on the t/c skid.

i know dean (xplorx4) and myself along with a few others im sure have invested in the xterra tcase skid. if you check deans website www.xplorx4.com and go down to armor on the main page. there is a write up on it and part numbers etc. its cheap $28 shipped insurence.

The Xterra t-case skid will fit an R50?

News to me...

wow i wish my radiator support was that straight!!

mines buckled right in the middle

pushed back so that vertical metal strip with all the sensors was pushed back and smooshed into my AC condensor

splash guard is cracked and bolts are ripped out

splash guard hanging on for dear life, doesnt really fit

I wonder if i could drill new holes in an aftermarket skidplate to line up with my deformed subframe?

I wonder if i could drill new holes in an aftermarket skidplate to line up with my deformed subframe?

I don't see why not?? Could be a fun project...have a few beers first :beer:

That might make the holes "appear" to lign up better :D

the 10 guage is just a super glorified splash guard

The 10 gauge isn't that thin - it is the first gen. that Black Panther produced, and I haven't heard of anyone busting them. My 2 plates (superskid) are 10 gauge from his first batch, and they have done fine on the rocks, and I've dragged and scraped quite a bit. Even if I managed to hit hard enuf to severely dent the 10 gauge steel, I suspect the skid would bend but still successfully protect the goods behind it. The 3/16 are heavier duty, but if you're not building a trail truck you won't need the extra weight. I didn't realize you could still buy the 10 gauge.

The powder coating on mine has come off in a lot places, they look good new but they are skid plates and will end up as rusted skids sooner or later. A can of black spray paint each spring fixes the cosmetics.

The xterra transfer skid plate bolts on, it's the same transfer case - and I have one, but it's light duty. Better than nothing, but it is more holes than steel, and thin steel at that.

m.

- the 10 guage is just a super glorified splash guard. and yes - get the powdercoated. lol

DAN crushed a rock with his 3/16" - dan chime in?

Woe there Mr.Stryker the 10G is a 1/32 less then 3/16. I would hardly say that the 10G is inadequate.

The 10G is not being offered after I sell my existing stock as I just have no more room with expanding into both Generations of X's and WD21 Pathy's. Now starting slowly with sliders for the R50's first. Not to mention the T/C plates and winch mount for the R50's that are coming out soon.

I have to test the winch mount this Spring but to let you guys know it's made out of 3/8" plate steel. The reason for the thickness that it can take the strain of a winch pull from the side.

So I cannot offer so many types of thickness, like when I started out as I do this in house and keep stock for my prices stay reasonable.

I would say if you O/R much then get the 3/16" but when I did my testing and trails I used the 10G Kit.

The Intro price for my T/C plates will be around $165.00 Coated this comes with it's own 1/4" mounting bracket.

I hope this shines some light on the topic a tad.

:beer:

Woe there Mr.Stryker the 10G is a 1/32 less then 3/16. I would hardly say that the 10G is inadequate.

The 10G is not being offered after I sell my existing stock as I just have no more room with expanding into both Generations of X's and WD21 Pathy's. Now starting slowly with sliders for the R50's first. Not to mention the T/C plates and winch mount for the R50's that are coming out soon.

I have to test the winch mount this Spring but to let you guys know it's made out of 3/8" plate steel. The reason for the thickness that it can take the strain of a winch pull from the side.

So I cannot offer so many types of thickness, like when I started out as I do this in house and keep stock for my prices stay reasonable.

I would say if you O/R much then get the 3/16" but when I did my testing and trails I used the 10G Kit.

The Intro price for my T/C plates will be around $165.00 Coated this comes with it's own 1/4" mounting bracket.

I hope this shines some light on the topic a tad.

:beer:

It does...thanks Runnerman. How many 10G's do you have left? Reason being we just got the good 'ole tax refund and I was about ready to order. I'm not a super nutty off-roader either and feel that the 3/16" is an over-kill. BUT, if that's all you got, then I guess I have no choice :D Thanks for the info!

:clap: I too am also interested in price of the 10g kit as i love wheelin but it is more muddin and hill climbing than rock crawlin. the trails i ride are pretty tough but not too bad, I actually turn down some trails because i know my underbody is all but exposed. my splashguard is thrashed so i have almost now protection. 10g to start 3/16 later when i lift it and put on 33's or 35's.

haha i know 10g is almost as think as 3/16 inch

but i was just trying to see if ud chime in and leak information on upcoming products!!!!! muahhahaha (evil)

i like my 3/16 inch so i was just recommending it to everyone else anyways.....

I read that the Defender plate was 65lbs. What's the weight of the 10g and the 3/16? Wonderings if its going to be a PITA to remove for oil changes since the truck will only be supported by the tension of the coils and the air in its tires. Until I get the rhino ramps!

u dont have to remove the defender plate to remove ur drain plug...just gotta squeeze your arm in there (im fat and i can do it)

champion plate only weighs.....help me here marcel maybe 30 lbs..... its not a big deal to take on and off...

Thanks Pezzy :)

I've seen places where its been relocated, but only on the WD21s, if anyone has pics of the filter relocation on their R50 that would be great. Would be much easier to change it if we didn't have to remove that plate.

But unlike navygz19, my splash guard is there buts breaking apart. So a REAL skid plate will be a great idea.