closing of trail

bear claw

Wheelers, ATVers, and dirt bike riders have been using that place for something like 25 years with no issues. Last year a Jeep club was formed and the basis of their operation was that place. They basically went there once, twice a week with 10-15 or more trucks and tore it up to shreds. In many areas there is no more grass and ruts are so deep that you need trucks on 39"s to get through. City took notice and place got shut down. I am happy that it's closed now as the area needs to regenerate in the next 10 years or so. Right now it's a freakin' mess...

i feel your pain there. trails (even the rubicon) are having trails shut down left n right around here... it sux but if everyone doesn't "tread lightly" we will lose it :sniff:

Yeah - it's a shame about the Rubicon, Ive seen pics - and it looks awesome... Ive also read about how people dont respect the land - and how it's faces closure - friggin brilliant :(

Wheelers, ATVers, and dirt bike riders have been using that place for something like 25 years with no issues. Last year a Jeep club was formed and the basis of their operation was that place. They basically went there once, twice a week with 10-15 or more trucks and tore it up to shreds. In many areas there is no more grass and ruts are so deep that you need trucks on 39"s to get through. City took notice and place got shut down. I am happy that it's closed now as the area needs to regenerate in the next 10 years or so. Right now it's a freakin' mess...

You're probably right , I was told by a friend that it was getting out of conrol but did not go for a long time and was supprise by the closing. And than *Overreacted* somewhat with this new trend :hide:

There is a lot of trails out there and treading lightly will keep them for generation :aok:

Yeah - it's a shame about the Rubicon, Ive seen pics - and it looks awesome... Ive also read about how people dont respect the land - and how it's faces closure - friggin brilliant :(

I did most of the con in my Jeep and i have to say i saw a LOT of idiots who were just out to break their rigs and cause havoc.. tossing beer cans and garbage everywhere.... no wonder trails got closed and no more overnight camping by the lake.. really pees me off. it's the stupidity of the few that screw it all up for the rest of us :angry:

there isnt any 'trails' here in fla, its at ur own risk kinda wheeling here, if u get caught then ur screwed, the rednecks here trash everything, theres a mud hole that swallowed a bronco on 36's, its not uncommon to have that happen here

everywhere we wheel is illegal but the cops understand why we do it, ive actually been pulled out by a cop

there isnt any 'trails' here in fla, its at ur own risk kinda wheeling here, if u get caught then ur screwed, the rednecks here trash everything, theres a mud hole that swallowed a bronco on 36's, its not uncommon to have that happen here

everywhere we wheel is illegal but the cops understand why we do it, ive actually been pulled out by a cop

well, dont move to georgia!

it's an everyday thing here

post-1-1141015920.jpg

:bow: oh for the love of mud :bow: :bow: (and the jeep is pretty sweet too!) sly

ole cj-5 on 44's with the stock d30 and 35 stuck in that picture, haha. he's just now upgraded to d44 f & r and now locked f & r after that little trip. needless to say, he broke his rear driveshaft trying that hole, which is now 39" deep. the leader of our offroad club tried it with his superduty on 37's.. lets just say 2 broken winch cables later and finally a military hummer with a brand new warn 16.5 winch finally got him out after 8 hours. i tried the hole next to it and buried my pathy half way up the doors.

sorry so off topic, but heres another pic of the beast, slick.

post-1-1141021207.jpg

Here's the reality, folks:

The Forest Service has been assigned the task of preserving the forests as is. ANY damage is grounds for closure. There are literally thousands of miles of 4wd, ATV, motorcycle, bicycle, and horse trails on the endangered species list in California alone.

3 things you can do:

1) Get involved in the fight to preserve some areas for use. The Blue Ribbon Coalition is a good place to start.

2) Aggressively help educate others. People thrashing trails are the number one reason trails are being closed!

3) Do nothing but sit around and whine.

Edited by mws

You don't have to like what I am about to say, but you really need to understand it and accept it.

Here are the top reasons why PUBLIC trails and OHV access areas are getting closed, in order of which are costing us the most:

1) Beaureaucratic posturing and vote groveling. The fact is, whichever group has the loudest voice in the halls of our legislators get their way the most. It's not the group with the most members despite your fondest wishes. For the last few years, it has been the environmentalists. Get involved or get left out. Again, at least join the Blue Ribbon Coalition. Costs you very little time or money. They'll scream for your rights.

2) Tearing up landscape in obviously visible areas. Wilson Canyon in Nevada is classic. Hundreds of square miles of desert to play in, yet some yahoos have seriously torn up the hillside right next to the highway where EVERYBODY can see it. Just plain stupid.

3) 4x4 trucks playing in the mud and leaving deep ruts. Sure, it's fun, but it leaves serious scars and ruins trails for the rest of the year. Is 15 minutes of fun really worth losing a playground forever? Please think about it.

4) Leaving marked trails and trashing preserved areas.

5) Noise complaints. Mufflers save access.

6) Quads (ATV's) doing endless donuts and denuding large areas.

7) Motorcycles leaving ruts on steep hillclimbs.

8) Tearing up the banks or channels of creeks, streams and rivers. This one is getting bigger and bigger. Slow down, cross carefully, try to minimize stream bank damage and erosion.

*adds*

People leaving behind garbage, truck parts and even worse empty beer bottles and such.

People with no camping skills, leaving behind trash, and waste @ and around the campsite. Why is it so hard for people to clean up after themselves... I go out to camp, because I like the outdoors & nature, not because I like sitting amongst garbage, and landmines of human waste everywhere.

People cutting their own trails.

Drinking & wheeling - not smart, and not a good showing to outsiders.

People not respecting personal property.

So much of this is common sense.

From toyotaoffroad.com:

The 4 Wheelers Creed

What many see as excessiveness, I see as necessity.

What many see as too expensive, I see as priceless.

What many see as twisted sheet metal, I see as a sculpture of experience.

They call it maintenance, I call it caring.

They say, "Why replace a perfectly good part?"

I say, "If it were perfect, it wouldn't need replacing."

They call it broken, I call it wounded.

They see a scratch, I see a memory.

They'll take the low road, they'll take the high road.

I'll take a little of both and a lot of the space in between.

Some say I am destroying the earth, I say I am becoming a part of it.

They look at it. I look at it, feel it, taste it, breathe it, and wear it in my hair.

When they take away the trail, they take away my air.

Some say we are different.

I say they are right.

I'm a big fan of an Off Road Club Membership, reason being: If a club goes out, you are wheeling with several buddies that can help when you are in trouble instead of "ripping" up the ground trying to get out of a stuck. Also, most of the destruction to the trails is caused by a few bad apples that don't care if the trail gets closed.....they'll just go somewhere else to tear sh!t up. A club has a good way of either teaching responsible wheeling or sorting out the troublemakers. Alot of the people that are closing trails, close them because they have no idea who's using the trails. If they know what club(s) are using the trails or area, they usually take up concerns with the club and issues get sorted out. Responsible wheelers in an area clean up, repair, maintain and value the land they wheel on so it's there for future generations.

Get involved in your local clubs B)

ole cj-5 on 44's with the stock d30 and 35 stuck in that picture, haha. he's just now upgraded to d44 f & r and now locked f & r after that little trip. needless to say, he broke his rear driveshaft trying that hole, which is now 39" deep. the leader of our offroad club tried it with his superduty on 37's.. lets just say 2 broken winch cables later and finally a military hummer with a brand new warn 16.5 winch finally got him out after 8 hours. i tried the hole next to it and buried my pathy half way up the doors.

sorry so off topic, but heres another pic of the beast, slick.

:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: