Gas milage

sbcathey

• 1 month later...
i get not more than 10mpg in the winter (when i start it up and let it run for 3-4 minutes each day morning in the cold winter morning) -thnkboutit-

That's abysmal...loose the lead foot :D

I got 17.5 last tank with highway treads and mostly city,this current tank is at 270 with a little more than on the E mark

Just filled up tooday- and lowest mileage I have had. 253 miles on 16.6 gallons for 15.24 MPG. At least 100 miles were for a trip to work Highway, and most of rest was 35-45 mph.

This is Northeast with that wonderful winter mix Gas!!!

Chris

Yeah...I'm interested to see if this new Ethanol blend gas they're switching us east-coasters to in the next month will alter anything (maybe it'll give my Pathy super powers to hit 400 miles in 1 tank!)

Ethanol???? East Coast??? Do you happen to have an article on this by any chance... Pathy MPG's suck but like navy said its an SUV... Thinking of putting AT's and taking off the Highway ones... How much of a hit have other people taken.

Ethanol???? East Coast??? Do you happen to have an article on this by any chance... Pathy MPG's suck but like navy said its an SUV... Thinking of putting AT's and taking off the Highway ones... How much of a hit have other people taken.

Ethanol???? East Coast??? Do you happen to have an article on this by any chance...  Pathy MPG's suck but like navy said its an SUV... Thinking of putting AT's and taking off the Highway ones... How much of a hit have other people taken.

Just did a 5 second Google search and came arcoss this

http://www.npnweb.com/uploads/featureartic.../030106_mp2.asp

By no means the best article but a good start at least...

Pathy's are like bricks trying to move through the air...there's not a whole lot of aerodynamics built into them :D

AT's aren't going to kill your mileage for say...unless you start increasing size and building your rig vertically :aok:

Edited by navygz19

The speed also changes the fuel economy drastically. I just came back SF --> LA --> SF, about 400 miles one way. I was caravaning with someone in a bimmer (big mistake), and he forced me to average about 80-85 mph, and I got about 250 miles a tank or 15 mpg, which is the same as when I do 50-50 mixed driving. ?During the summer, I drove like a grandma to work at about 65-70 mph, and I could easily get 280 miles a tank or 17 mpg.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, just for kicks, here's the math for those interested

in the mpg increase from installing manual hubs:

If you average 17 gallons per fill-up, and are getting an

(optimistic) 17 miles per gallon, you can travel 289 miles

on a tank of gas.

With at least a 1 mpg increase using manual hubs, a 17 gal.

fillup at 18 mpg will let you travel 306 miles on a tank.

This is a 17 mile increase per tank, which translates to a

0.94 gallon savings per tank. At $2.75, this is a savings

of $2.59 per tank of gas.

The cost of the hubs divided by this savings ($150/$2.59)

tells you that you would have to fill up about 58 times

to offset the cost of the hubs.

58 tanks x 17 gal. per tank is 986 gallons. At the new 18

mpg, this is 17,800 miles.

Manual hubs would pay for themselves in 17,800 miles, if you

only get 1 mpg increase. For me, I put about 16,000 on my

pathy per year, so my hubs will pay for themselves in one

year, one month and 10 days. Not too shabby!

p.s. I am seeing at least a 2 mpg increase... so mine will

pay off in half that time!!

I have a 2002 4x4 Auto. Don't know why you guys have such low mileage, but I average 20 mpg (320-340 miles a tank) in the summer and 18 mpg in the winter.. The absolute worst I've ever recorded was 16.5 mpg in the winter using 4wd a bunch.. I guess the 5w30 synthetic does help a bit...

I know exactly why I have such bad gas mileage....I've got a bad ground on my intake manifold, the ground strap for my O2 sensors is disconnected (causing my truck to run rich), my EVAP Vent Control Valve is bad, I've got 32" tires, I've got a gigantic roof rack, and I drive like a bat outta hell. :D

200mpt... really? That would make me feel good since my light goes on at like 250miles., and I still have about 3-4 gallons left since the truck usually only takes 16-17 gallons and its a 21 gallong tank. Meaning that I get roughly 300 mpt...

My drop-in K&N did nothing too noticeable for me. I did notice a bit more high-rpm

power with the custom air intake that's been done on a few pathys around this

forum, tho. But no doubt the biggest improvement was the Warns, in terms of

performance and gas mileage. My first official tank with them I got 344 miles,

which was almost 21 mpg for me. Pre-manual hubs, I was hard-pressed to get 18.

Also, I'm running my stock tires at the reccomended 26 psi. Has anyone found an improved mileage with different psi ?

I noticed that tire pressure has a huge effect on my mileage.. I run 38f 36r for best mileage and comfort balance.. I'm kind of anal about my pressures from autoxing though..

is that pressure on the stock tires? (which i have)

10 psi would make them bulge fairly good wouldn't it? I don't want to trade off slightly better mileage with wearing the center of the rubber out and having mint outside edges

Wow....apparently driving like a grandma works.

I've been flat broke for the last 2.5 weeks, and I filled up my tank last on April 4th (which overdrew my checking account by $0.38) :X....but...I got paid today and went and filled up my truck...took 17.5 gallons, and my odometer was at 304miles...and I had been wheelin since I last filled up!...apparently, driving under 2500rpms really does conserve gas....

is that pressure on the stock tires? (which i have)

10 psi would make them bulge fairly good wouldn't it? I don't want to trade off slightly better mileage with wearing the center of the rubber out and having mint outside edges

Yep, stock bridgestones. They've got 44000 miles on them, and still have maybe 20k more to go before they're due for replacement.. Wear is fairly even, maybe ever so slightly more in the center, but over-inflation is always better than under-inflation in my book.. 32-34 is the lowest I'd ever want to go with these tires.. With my average mileage where it is now I think I'll keep them where they are...