Engine Mods

Jeff

Im thinking of possably doing some mods so that I can go off-roading. I would like to put in an intake system and a new exhaust system For my 87 Pathfinder.......What is the best place and best way to get those parts. And what are the best brands to go with?

Is your current exhaust system shot? If not don't touch it. You'll bang up your muffler and tail pipe off roading so replace it with a cheapie one when necessary. You're best off getting some skid plates to protect your undercarriage first. As to intake, you can get a nice sexy snorkel from any decent 4x4 shop or fab up your own, there are a few good writeups available.

Actually our engines get as much out of a snorkel as the 90+ models, its just harder to seal up, due to us having an older style air cleaner on top of the engine, as opposed to the air box on the newer models.

Well I researched this earlier and the word from 88 is that it would be darn near impossible to completely seal the engine. I'm sure he'll wander in here eventually and remind me what would need to be done (I think it required welding something shut, can't remember what though...)

Well I researched this earlier and the word from 88 is that it would be darn near impossible to completely seal the engine. I'm sure he'll wander in here eventually and remind me what would need to be done (I think it required welding something shut, can't remember what though...)

I remember that post -- I think the problem is our air cleaners are really thin, and without some advanced welding its pretty hard to make watertight. So hard, but not impossible.

The hot air inlet is the main sticking point. It's a little vacuum controlled door on the intake that lets in warm air from around the exhaust. You can either remove that all together or try to make that part so you can be sealed when offroading. To seal it offroad you would need to seal around the vacuum actuator with silicone, and keep a 1 1/2" (IIRC) plumbing cap ready to throw on the inlet tube at the bottom.

As for ducting, if you get a 3" rubber plumbing fitting it should be able to conform to the rectangular end on the inlet of the aircleaner (a little further mod may be neccisary to get a good tight seal). Then just run whatever tubing you make your snorkle out of into the other end of that 3" fitting.

All of this just theory, but what I plan to attempt on mine as well. :shrug:

also if you plan to use the snorkel to its fullest i would probably highly suggest relocating the ECU or building a box to seal it as well

i do know our motors will still run if its not completly submerged in water...i changed my air filter a while back and noticed a good bit of mud stains in the air cleaner theres no doubt in my mind that she drank some water but i'd guess it either evaporated as soon as it hit he cylinder due to the heat or wasnt enough to completly fill the cylinder and didnt fire the gas but just shot the water out of the exhaust but any who im def thinking about doing the snorkel deal after that happened just gotta find a fender at the junkyard so i can remove it if i'd like for daily driving

Your best bet is a K&N filter, Thorley headers, a muffler, high flow cat, custom 2.5" exhaust piping, and the L&P Performance intake mods

ok thanks.......how much would all that cost? i only have about $1200 to spend right now.

K&N filter, $34 + shipping from summit racing. Thorley headers $350 + shipping from rocky road. Muffler depends on brand/style/sound you want. Flowmaster 40 series muffler will run you $70 + shipping from summit. Whereas a simple dynomax glasspack muffler will run you $22 + shipping also from summit. A high flow cat will be around $60 from summit.

Unless you have some serious equipment laying around your garage you'll probably need a shop to install the exhaust system. Prices and labor will vary so shop around and don't just go with whoever's cheapest. Go with a shop that will do good work and will be willing to take their time to make the system work with your pathy. :aok:

• Like 1