Stripped a few bolt holes in the frame

tmorgan4

I'm in need of some help. I'm building a bumper for my r50, and after putting on and taking out the bolts where the factory tow hooks attach are stripped. The bolts are a little messed up so I'll be getting new ones tomorrow, but I need idea about what to do with the holes. Here's my ideas so far.

1) Try threading a tap of the same size and thread pattern through, hoping there's enough left for it to make new threads (doubtful!)

2) Drill the holes out and tap 1 size larger

3) Drill the holes out completely, and attach with a bolt and a nut on the other side. It seems like there's already a nut attached there when I felt around, but it's welded on and the threads are gone. The backside is not easily accessible so it's the last method I'd like to try.

Not sure what to do, any help or better ideas are appreciated! :beer:

Also, does anyone know which bolts go where in these holes? I just noticed there are 2 different types: 1 with threads all the way to the end, and the other with threads about 5mm from the end. Maybe I just ruined the threads since I can see the outline of them except it's completely flat.... -thnkboutit-

Tyler

PS - It's these bad boys right here! (on both sides!)

179999_Picture%20018.jpg

Yeah, heli-coils are great and very strong. I've had one in one of my bolts holes for the drivers side upper control arm since the morons at Les Schwab stripped it during an alignment 2 years ago. Many miles, much bashing, and some air time and its still strong as ever after 3 more alignments, replacing the UCA's, etc. The bottom line: done properly, strength won't be a worry.

For some reason I didn't even think of using heli coils. We use them all the time in the ski shop I work at when the binding holes are stripped out. Anyone know the size and thread pattern for these holes?

Heli-coils are a great, solid solution. A little known fact, but heli-coils are actualy military-grade, which means extra heavy duty. If it gets the military stamp of approval, then it'll be fine for about the same amount of crap we can thoss at em.

im jumping on the heli coils are great band wagon too..... cause they are!

they saved the day when i had to change a water pump on a td27t and some goose in the previous life of the car had already stripped half the bot holes.

interesting point mr.P - same vehicle as the wp, the bolt holes of the upper control arms are stripped. looked at doing a heli coil job to fix it. however they wanted $90 aus for the heli coil kit..... :( :confused: same deal - stupid grease monkeys at tyre power did a dodgy alignment and stripped the bolt hols.

so the fix wil be completly drill out the holes, weld in crush tubes and have a bolt going all the way thru.