leojharris

wow. changing the starter on a 95 xe sucks the

hardest of them all.

i read some of the write ups so knew it wasn't

a cake task or anything, but i mean ... pulling an

engine and putting it back would probably be more

inviting.

who out there had to somewhat dismantle their

starter before pulling it out through the front?

also, the same on the way back in and then trying

to get that damn metal shield bolted back on.

it took about 4.5 hours.

gotta get some gloves ; my hands are wasted.

i'm actually looking forward to doing my own

header install and stud change after that.

Edited by leojharris

good lord lol....i dunno what you did for those 4.5 hours, but it took me a grand total of 5 min to get mine out and about 10 to get it back in. that was in a school parking lot just winging it (no directions)

and no, i didnt have to unbolt anything from the starter :shrug:

Edited by DSM_guy

Those starters will try your patience! Especially for a first time removal on a lunch hour on a very cold January day. I was pretty much ready to get it towed to a garage.

Easiest and fastest way I have found is to remove the oil filter first of course.

Then, slide the starter forward as far as it will go, then slide it back and up towards you while twisting it back and forth so you can fit it up and out on the passenger side fender well. That method literally takes just a few minutes as DSM_guy said.

not mine. Even with the oil filter out and everything else on the fender-well that was in the way having been removed, there was still no room to rotate or even try to squeeze it through. Once I took the shield off the solenoid, I could move it around but it still wouldn't fit through the available openings. I'm thinking that there are some differences in years. I have only heard of significant problems with the 94's and 95's during removal

I believe that one of my posts included rotating the Stock (W/Shield) starter, so the shield is in the 12:00 Position, and it slides forward relatively easily :X

"he who didn't put the little shield back on"

hehe

Those starters will try your patience! Especially for a first time removal on a lunch hour on a very cold January day. I was pretty much ready to get it towed to a garage.

Easiest and fastest way I have found is to remove the oil filter first of course.

Then, slide the starter forward as far as it will go, then slide it back and up towards you while twisting it back and forth so you can fit it up and out on the passenger side fender well. That method literally takes just a few minutes as DSM_guy said.

yep what he said, same thing when i did my 87

that oil filter is in the way

maybe im missing something here..but i uh...unbolted the starter, slid it back a few inches to disconnect the wiring, and pulled it right out the front. sure, a lil twisting and tilting, but it literally came out in 5 min from the time i slid under there

no disconnected linkage

no disconnected oil filter

no removal of anything except for the starter.

yall are talking about a vg30 right???

maybe im missing something here..but i uh...unbolted the

yall are talking about a vg30 right???

i'm pretty sure that's the same engine as mine;

but lord ... oh my ... (and i've done several starters

on several cars) that was the tightest fit i've ever

seen. my hands, man ... my poor poor hands. :-)

glad to have saved the bucks, though.

i thought about leaving the metal shield off, too

but the thought of having to redo the job gave me

the heebee geebees. i still kinda half assed it as i

only put one retainer screw in the shield.

one question to anyone listening ... i hastily removed

the under fender rubber shield-cowling type thing that

shields the engine components from debri and weather

and what not ... how important is that stuff to have

under the wheel wells? should i re order a replacement

from nissan?

.joel.

If you want to save some money, people have used different materials from rubber floor mats to landscaping liner. If you have a bit of the old one, you can use it as a template if you don't want to eyeball it.

That shield is quite important if you play in the dirt or mud, and quite expensive. It keeps dirt and water out of an off of your engine. If you still have what is left, try buying a cargo area cover, rubber mat, etc. and tracing the old one onto the new material to make a new one. I did so, adding for a 3" body lift, and it cost less than $10 vs. 5 or 6 X's that.

Go to HomeDepot and get some of the EPDM pond liner. It's abut $10-15 per foot and foot = 1 foot x 18 feet so all you need is about $15 of it. That stuff is INDESTRUCTIBLE and perfect for the job.

can the pegs that snap it in be found somewhere? junkyard, maybe?

Go to HomeDepot and get some of the EPDM pond liner. It's abut $10-15 per foot and foot = 1 foot x 18 feet so all you need is about $15 of it. That stuff is INDESTRUCTIBLE and perfect for the job.

i never thought of that,,, thats a great idea!

know i know how to fill in all my gaps form the lift

Something tells me that DSM had an easier time because he's got a body lift. I got the material for my gap gaurds (which I still haven't made, stuff keeps coming up) at orchard supply. They had pre cut sheets (I don't have the measurements on hand right now) in the flooring section, not sure exactly what it's supposed to be used for but it seems like sturdy stuff. Cost me like $25 for two sheets. I got lucky and all my little plastic tab doohickies were still there.

As soon as I get around to making them I'll make tracings so people can have an outline for which to copy from. :aok:

I don't think DSM had a body lift at the time he did his starter.    :shrug:

nope...this was ooooh late october 04 when i changed starter, i just got my lift put on this weekend

i mean it wasnt FUN, but it sure wasnt the crap yall mentioned. tight fit and a bit frustrating at times but it was 10x easier than say....removing the oil filter.

now that i do have the lift tho, i think those things will be MUCH easier hehehe. oh and good call on the pond liner stuff. i need to replace all my engine skirting and make some gap-guards for the rear

Edited by DSM_guy

Something tells me that DSM had an easier time because he's got a body lift. I got the material for my gap gaurds (which I still haven't made, stuff keeps coming up) at orchard supply. They had pre cut sheets (I don't have the measurements on hand right now) in the flooring section, not sure exactly what it's supposed to be used for but it seems like sturdy stuff. Cost me like $25 for two sheets. I got lucky and all my little plastic tab doohickies were still there.

As soon as I get around to making them I'll make tracings so people can have an outline for which to copy from. :aok:

i found a similar material at home depot; perfect, really,

they call it ... ... PLUMBERS RUBBER! ... ... mid grey color;

would like black better, but it's pefect weight and flexibility;

much tougher than the original material.

11 bucks for a 2 x 5 foot peice; plenty of room; i found the

pieces of the old one so will make a template from that.

priced a new one for just the right side at nissan and they

wanted 55 bucks. shwew!!