How to..change the upper bypass hose

Slick

ok. So this is NOT a fun job. If you have big hands.. pay someone!

If you are losing coolant and can see no visible leaks.. I suggest you check this little guy.

Ok. You need the basics of tools, screwdriver, long nose clamp pliers, something long and rounded so as to help coax the hose in place without damaging it (i used an extension bar), and a LOT of patience! There is extremely MINIMAL space to work with, and it is best to disconnect/remove a couple things first.

Disconnect battery. Remove coil wire, and flip throttle cable back out of the way. Remove the cover that is over the distributor cap. Remove the yellow sensor near the fuel rail. Remove the 2 ground wires connected to the intake. Remove the radiator, fan shroud, fan, remove timing belt cover.

Use whatever means necessary to remove the 2 clips that hold this hose on. I ended up partially breaking one to remove it. No biggie, because you throw them out or keep them for a souvenier.

Once the clips are free and you actually worked a miracle and got the hose off, stop and have a few -alcohol- before you take your new hose and cut it to size. If you get it from Kragen like I did, you have to cut a bit off the part of the hose that will be the "top", and also off the "bottom". Once you have trimmed, get some vaseline (if nothing else is available to you) and spread a TINY bit over the very bottom of the hose for ease of maneuverablity. **Make sure NOT to get any vseline inside the hose**

Stuff the hose in the microscopic gap that is near the fuel rail up top. Then put your HOSE CLAMPS over the hose. You will want the hose in before the clamps.. and by this time you will have figured out why.

Try to get the bottom in first, and then the top. Have patience and do not use a sharp object like a screwdriver to help you... not good. You will damage the hose. Just ask Dave :blink:

Once the hose is on, tighten up your hose clamps, re attach ground wires, sensor, coil wire, replace throttle cable and distributor cap cover.

then follow steps above in reverse.

The stores call this hose an "upper bypass hose" :blink:

The p/n at kragen is: S63735. It is $5.99. The whole hose you will be replacing is only about 6" long...with a bend in it.

Here is the hose's location

Edited by Slick

Someone that plugs their Pathy in during the winter might want to check this out, but I think that hose is replaced with a recirculating coolant pump. I would check mine but the better half is driving it right now. :huh:

If you have a 120VAC 3 prong plug and you get a chance, could you follow the cord back to where it goes? I think it goes to an inline pump on that 90 degree hose.

On topic....Slick, you could use that hose to get yourself an onboard shower, feed the coolant that goes through there through another little rad that heats up normal water and a pump and presto, hot water for a shower B)

If there is a plug-in attached to a box on the lower radiator hose, it's just a heater, not a pump. AFAIK, there's no such thing, it's unnecessary. The coolant will circulate via convection currents, ie, hot water rises, cold water sinks. Simple and effective to a degree.

Once you have trimmed, get some vaseline and spread a bit over the ends of the hose for ease of maneuverablity.

NO, NO and NO !! Vasoline is petroleum based; don't put it in your radiator/engine block !! :nono:

Use a water based 'personal lubricant', it's much better !! It's also good for a few jokes when you pull it out of your tool box... :P

B

If there is a plug-in attached to a box on the lower radiator hose, it's just a heater, not a pump. AFAIK, there's no such thing, it's unnecessary. The coolant will circulate via convection currents, ie, hot water rises, cold water sinks. Simple and effective to a degree.

Ah, a block heater type of thing then?

As for Vasoline, ditto what B says. Remember what the health professionals say oil-based lubes can do to to undermine, um, rubber. ;)

NO, NO and NO !! Vasoline is petroleum based; don't put it in your radiator/engine block !! :nono:

Use a water based 'personal lubricant', it's much better !! It's also good for a few jokes when you pull it out of your tool box... :P

B

it was not used on the interior of the hose.. just a small smothering on the bottom edge of it ;):aok:

:P You guys and the lube and heater are just silly!! Meat packing plants and personal lube...in one thread...damn baby only on NPORA!!! :allclean:

lmao.. i should have been more specific above and mentioned about the vaseline is to be used in a PINCH and NOT to be put inside the hose.. just a small amount gently smeared at the very outer edges and bottom of the hose...... not many of us have "personal lube" sitting around so vaseline will save your ass on this job! :bow:

ok.. all you pervs.. do NOT comment on that last sentence! :nono:

lmao.. i should have been more specific above and mentioned about the vaseline is to be used in a PINCH and NOT to be put inside the hose.. just a small amount gently smeared at the very outer edges and bottom of the hose...... not many of us have "personal lube" sitting around so vaseline will save your ass on this job! :bow:

ok.. all you pervs.. do NOT comment on that last sentence! :nono:

not saying a word *snicker*