Modifications...

Hey guys, whats up? Im new around here...and I got some questions. Im a first time nissan pathfinder owner, loved em since I was small...decided to get one as my first car!

Its completely stock...which saddens me for the winters here are awsome! anyhow on to business lol

I got a 1991 xe Pathfinder. Power windows, power mirrors, power locks etc...

I would like to know what kind of mods i can do and where to get them. Such as front push bar, side bars, sway bars, 3 " lift, roof rack etc... I live in montreal,Canada so something close would be useful. Anyhow let me know what you guys can come up with, I want this bad boy in the snow and mud soon enough so I can join your group and come tear up the paths with you.

Thanks alot

Jason

Pezzy and Simon are fellow Canadians and Mookie and some others I cant remember now so they might be able to help for local stuff, u can do the poor mans suspension lift with new UCA's and JGC (jeep grand cherokee springs) or check out calmini, they sell a complete lift kit. There are some body lift kits out there too.... Do a search here, you'll find tons of info on lifts and other mods and if you have any questions just ask, oh yeah and Welcome :beer:

Edited by headpeace

Yeah, you can even do the Jeep Grand Cherokee coil lift without UCA's at first if cost is an issue. I bought new ones, as I was able to get them for about $100, and the scrapyards wanted 40-50 for used......

Just install the coils in the rear, and crank your torsion bars in the front for 2.5-3" of lift.

:aok:

It gives you a bit stiffer ride and more ground clearance, which will allow you to run bigger tires, which will give you a little more ground clearance, and thus, make your truck better offroad.

If you want off road ability, then don't crank your stock torsion bars. Get proper aftermarket torsion bar that will allow you lift up your truck without making the ride too stiff. Also you'll need upper a-arms to maintain tire wear friendly camber.

Also if you're looking to lift your truck you'll be needing four new shock absorbers to deal with increased travel and different range. On top of that you'll need an aftermarket steering system to deal with the fact that the stock Nissan system will pretty much explode within a month of lifting your truck.

I hate to say this, but this topic has been beaten to death every two days by every new person asking the same questions without checking prior threads or searching.

Edited by Filthy Luker

I'll just add a couple of things.

It seems to me that the ride with cranked, stock T-bars isn't overly stiff, at least, not to me. I don't mind it.

Also, if you don't crank the T-bars way up, stock UCA's will be okay for a while, as the ball joint angles won't be too bad, and it'll still be alignable.

Edited by 88pathoffroad

It seems to me that the ride with cranked, stock T-bars isn't overly stiff, at least, not to me. I don't mind it.

Also, if you don't crank the T-bars way up, stock UCA's will be okay for a while, as the ball joint angles won't be too bad, and it'll still be alignable.

Same here, no issues. You'll get a stiff ride if you crank the T-bars till you hit the bumstops, otherwise no issues.

I have a quick question (sorry to hijack this thread but it HAS been betten to death and i need a couple things answered)

1.)ok so I have JGC coils just sittin in my garage waiting to get installed and i was wondering. what if i dont want to lift the front up just the back for now. I kinda like that angled look to be honest. I know its not great for O/R but will it effect the front of the vehical?

2.)o and also I know many or some of you have done the JGC coil swap. how easy was it to do. I mean, one day I tried to jack up the back of the pathy and I didnt know were to put the jackstands cuz I only have 2 jackstands and a jack. and when I did jack it up it was all wobbelly and i didnt know if the pathy was just gunna crash down and kill me :S were is the right spot to lift the back and put the jackstands etc. etc.

1. leaning should be ok if you can deal with it.

2. this is actually pretty easy. GET SPRING COMPRESSOR TOOL! this is the safest and easiest way to do it..

lift by the pumpkin.. place stands as high as possible, under the frame.. chock front wheels.. search for the rest.. it has been written up.. you gotta undo a few things etc... you should be able to get'r done under 2h.

2. this is actually pretty easy. GET SPRING COMPRESSOR TOOL! this is the safest and easiest way to do it..

lift by the pumpkin.. place stands as high as possible, under the frame.. chock front wheels.. search for the rest.. it has been written up.. you gotta undo a few things etc... you should be able to get'r done under 2h.

what he said.. and don't forget to cut the coils down before install.. and longer shocks are a good idea if you plan on flexin her at all :aok:

yeah I there good to go. I painted the springs to! it was kinda weird when I jacked it up the jackstands acted like a teatertoter and the vehcialy kinda balanced on it...the front end came up. and its as far as I can put them. gah I think ill try and do this spring stuff next month or possibly when it warms up and i can buy some new shocks cuz mine are like mush. (bodyrole x100)

YEAH I JUST GOT NEW SHOCKS MONROE SENSA TRACKS I THINK AND MY CAR IS STILL MUSHY AT HIGHWAY SPEEDS (75MPH 80MPH) IF THERE IS A DIP OR A BUMP MY PATHY PANCAKES AND I HAVE TO HIT THE BRAKES AND HOLD THE STEERING TIGHT. COULD THIS BE THE SPRINGS? OR SOMTHING I COULD FIX OR AM I JUST DRIVING TO FAST?

If you want off road ability, then don't crank your stock torsion bars.  Get proper aftermarket torsion bar that will allow you lift up your truck without making the ride too stiff.  Also you'll need upper a-arms to maintain tire wear friendly camber.

1. I still have stock torsion bars. I'd rather have them flex than not, and they've worked fine for me so far. The 30% stiffer bars don't flex worth beans. Once again, the torsion bars alone do not lift the truck. The act of cranking up the tension on the torsion bars is what creates a suspension lift.

2. New upper control arms are recommended, but not entirely necessary unless you really want to go that extra little bit and change more stuff out. ;)

Also if you're looking to lift your truck you'll be needing four new shock absorbers to deal with increased  travel and different range.

3. 4 new shocks would be good, yes. The front shocks should be left stock length regardless of the amount of IFS lift, though. The front suspension travel does not change with an IFS lift, only the ride height and stiffness. (Especially if you leave the swaybar on.) A set of 3" longer shocks are recommended for the rear to make use of the additional suspension travel supplied by new longer/higher spring rate coil springs. Yes, I still have stock-length Rancho shocks on the front of mine.

On top of that you'll need an aftermarket steering system to deal with the fact that the stock Nissan system will pretty much explode within a month of lifting your truck.

4. Simply keep up on your steering component inspection, get an idler arm brace and supplement that with a steering stabilizer for a fairly rugged setup that should keep your steering happy for the time being. Tie rods, idler arms, and centerlinks do wear out, however, so don't expect everything to survive regardless of anything you throw at it. ;)

I hate to say this, but this topic has been beaten to death every two days by every new person asking the same questions without checking prior threads or searching.

5. Yeah yeah yeah. n00b's keep on coming, whatcha gonna do? ;)

What do you need a spring compressor for? Simply remove the panhard rod end, one swaybar endlink, then the shocks and lower the axle down until the springs fall out. New springs pop in the exact same way. Takes me like 20 minutes to do.

YEAH I JUST GOT NEW SHOCKS MONROE SENSA TRACKS I THINK AND MY CAR IS STILL MUSHY AT HIGHWAY SPEEDS (75MPH 80MPH) IF THERE IS A DIP OR A BUMP MY PATHY PANCAKES AND I HAVE TO HIT THE BRAKES AND HOLD THE STEERING TIGHT. COULD THIS BE THE SPRINGS? OR SOMTHING I COULD FIX OR AM I JUST DRIVING TO FAST?

Check your rear swaybar end links, rear axle lower and upper control arms, and the panhard rod. Something's loose either from wear or from something else.