Problems with my 95 Nissan

PaulsPath

Hey Guys,

Well I have a list of things wrong with mine. It runs great but but I need alot of repairs. Here goes the list. :help:

1. The driver and passenger front doors are hard to close. Its like they are lose at the hinges. :wacko:

2. The exhaust system is totally rusted out. Not sure how much that will cost Anyone one know???? :shrug: ... I guess I need an entire new exhaust, muffler etc.

3. Parking break doesnt work .. I presume the cable is broken. :furious:

4. The rear frame is rusted so bad the prior owner tried to weld it back together ... looks really scarey. Looks unsafe. :hide:

5. Needs new rear shocks --- I've done that.

6. The front blinker lights are smashed

7. The front and rear bumpers are rusty. pssd

8. There are minor rust spots popping up over the fender flares over all 4 tires.

9. I guess the timing belt or chain needs replaced .. just to be sure. :oops:

Anyway... Im sure thats only the beginning. Any advice on how to fix those would e greatly appreciated. :rolleyes:

1. you're gonna have to play around with it to find out why exactly

3. could need adjusting (search)

4. yeah, common deal (search for frame rot)

6. junk yard

7. do we need to get you a violin? ;)

8. fender flares are plastic so impossible

9. (search the garage and this room)

Hmm, sounds typical... A Nissan thats falling apart, but runs great !! :D How much did you pay ? anywho...

1) Any decent autobody shop will have a wierd jimmy thing they use to slightly bend the hinges upward. Not the right way to do it, but a lot easier than replacing the hinge pins. http://npora.ipbhost.com//index.php?showto...oor+hinge"

2) Cheap route will be $300+

3) Thats easy to trouble shoot, just get underneath.

4) Yes, several threads here about that and approaches, most use welding.

6) Ebay or online sources if no junkyards ar close

7) Stock bumpers are useless: remove and use as rain gutters

8) Ahh, rust is spreading up from underneath the flares ? Time to pull them, brush off the scale and paint and treat it. Look in the 'Product Review" section for the rust treatment thread.

9) No idea if the timing belt has been replaced on schedule ? DO it/have it done asap !! Several members lost motors due to that last year.

10) Have a nice day !!

B

6. I have a set of stock turn signals from a '93 that ought to work fine. One has a little rock ding in it but they are in otherwise good condition... PM me if you're interested, I'll unload 'em cheap. =)

2. Replacing the exhaust will cost you about $90 (for a new Magnaflow/Flowmaster muffler) + $60 (Magnaflow cat) + whatever a shop will charge you for pipe and labor.

3. http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=1495&hl=

Edited by statikuz

2) Upgrade while you are at it and it will be cheaper. Get a flowmaster muffler and take it to an exhaust shop and have them make you a custom exhaust... less than Precise's guess is my guess. Use your stock catalytic converter if it's not in bad shape.

3) Mine seems to loosen itself as well. I need to get another nut on there to hold it better and that may help you out as well.

4) Nissan may (don't bank on this) announce a recall. Stay tuned!

6) Get clear blinker lights off Ebay for $18 or so. They improve the look so much.

7) I wouldn't worry about it too much... mine has had a huge dent in it for the past 2 years. If it bothers you that muck go to a junkyard... remember that only '93-'95 bumpers will be the same as yours.

8) Stop it now before it gets worse.

-Good Luck!

haha i doubt nissan will recall the frame ;)

yeah, you can ebay the clear ones or get them from a few different places. i recall getting mine from 4x4parts (AC) but i don't buy anything from there unless i absolutely have to.

1) Any decent autobody shop will have a wierd jimmy thing they use to slightly bend the hinges upward. Not the right way to do it, but a lot easier than replacing the hinge pins. http://npora.ipbhost.com//index.php?showto...oor+hinge"

B

If that would effectively solve the problem for more than just the short term, I would look into it.

I replaced the pins/bushings on my drivers door. Did it by myself and it was a real PITA... With an extra body it would be a lot easier.

One other thing that might also make it easier would be to disconnect all the wiring going into the door.. I left the wires attached and built a makeshift stand to hold the door.

The old bushings where difficult to remove, but not impossible. It was also not a simple matter to put the new ones in.

Basically out of the two of us (that I know of) on this board who have done this (88pathoffroad and I)... We are in agreement as we BOTH recommend against doing it yourself ;)

Edited by RedPath88

Hmm, sounds typical... A Nissan thats falling apart, but runs great !! :D How much did you pay ? anywho...

I paid $1,200 for it. It has 130k on it. Not bad since the KBB was $4,500.The body and interior look pretty good. It runs great its really the frame that is scaring me. Im sure it will fail inspection. If I still had my own garage I would weld some plates over the holes and go with it ... Im sure the entire exhaust system excluding the manifolds will need replacing. Anyway, I cant wait to get it on the road.

Thanks for everyones input! :)

8. fender flares are plastic so impossible

He said "over" the fender flares, it's very common since the flares trap salt and dirt inbetween them and the body. I saw a Pathy in the junk yard that was blistered almost the entire fenders. Just like its common to get rust by the bottom of the rear doors by the wheel wells.

I paid $1,200 for it. It has 130k on it. Not bad since the KBB was $4,500.The body and interior look pretty good. It runs great its really the frame that is scaring me. Im sure it will fail inspection. If I still had my own garage I would weld some plates over the holes and go with it ... Im sure the entire exhaust system excluding the manifolds will need replacing. Anyway, I cant wait to get it on the road.

Thanks for everyones input! :)

Not many Pathfinders retail for what KBB says. I got mine for $3000 and it rated at $5000. And since yours has so much wrong with it there is no way that guy could sell it for $4500. I think the best he could of done would be somewhere around $2100 which still means you got a heck of a deal.

less than Precise's guess is my guess

When I bought the Pathy 1.5 years ago, I got a receipt for a cat back magnaflow ss exhaust for $280. But then this is Cali where nothing is cheap... :shrug:

If that would effectively solve the problem for more than just the short term, I would look into it.

It's only been 8 months or so, but it seems to work fine...

B

Magnaflow doesn't make a cat-back system. Anymore at least. (Did they ever make one?) Don't you have just the s/s muffler and regular steel piping or is the whole system behind the cat s/s? If everything was s/s, I would understand that price.

Edited by wheelmanLS1

4. The rear frame is rusted so bad the prior owner tried to weld it back together ... looks really scarey. Looks unsafe.

Have patches welded in and it should pass inspection. You can spray it with something to stop the rust from returning and it will last for a good number of years.

8. There are minor rust spots popping up over the fender flares over all 4 tires.

If the metal under the fender flares is almost completely rotted away (like mine was) you can try pricing new front fenders at a local auto parts store. I bought a pair of brand new aftermarkets for $100 CAN each. ($85 US) The bumpers were also reasonable compared to origional (Nissan) prices. E-bay is another good source for parts.

Brian