LSD

Guest Random

I'm sorry to be a PITA, but can someone answer my question? I'm not looking to make the rear LSD any harder to break away, I'm happy with my LSD in the rear, I'm wondering about putting an LSD in the front, and whether a 240sx LSD would be effective.

At 60ft/lbs breakaway force, there won't be a whole lot of resistance there....

However, you can get THIS BAD BOY and have the same specs as your rear LSD up front, and that will make a world of difference.

I'll be getting the R50 version when I get my locker. sssh

I'm sorry to be a PITA, but can someone answer my question? I'm not looking to make the rear LSD any harder to break away, I'm happy with my LSD in the rear, I'm wondering about putting an LSD in the front, and whether a 240sx LSD would be effective.

i already did.

Every little bit helps, but you have to ask yourself, would you rather do it cheap, now....or right, later?

Remember though, if you get that one, and install it, and it doesn't perform to your satisfaction (which at a 60lbs break force, it won't do any good if you lift a tire, well, any LSD will be pretty much negated if you lift a tire), and you decide to go with the one AC sells, you're going to have to go back in and do all the work over again.

I will definitely plan on doing this. Luckily I have a spare front diff from a pathfinder, so before I go ahead on do the install I'll be able to compare them side by side. Now I just have to convince the missus that this is a neccesary repair. P...WAVEY

Did noone notice the part where I said as far as I know, the 240SX diff does NOT FIT in a Pathfinder front diff? The output flanges are different, from what I remember. If you do get it, let us know though. I could be wrong.

From OffroadX on NOR:

It's no rumor, the R200A LSD that Calmini sells is the same one Nissan used in the 300ZX turbo from 4/87 through 1989, excluding the viscous LSD that was in the all-white '88 SS model. To use one in our trucks, you have to pop out the axle retaining clips inside the LSD side gears, and you have to transfer the nut from the driver's side side gear on the open diff to the same side gear on the LSD (this is the nut that the bolt goes into to secure the driver's side CV flange). A friend of mine has one in his Pathfinder.

Thanks for that.

I just got word from a member of a ricer forum that I'm on that another member might have a 300zx diff that he can sell me. I'm attempting to contact him to get a price. :takebow:

The ONLY turbo 300ZX rear LSD you can use is from 4/87-89, clutch-type only, and not if it was in a pearl white SS edition. The one you don't want is the VLSD type.

I went to the junkyard a couple weekends ago and found a turbo 87, jumped for joy, ran over to it, and found out it did NOT have the LSD at all. LAME!! You can ID the LSD by the finned rear diff cover they put on 'em. The non-LSD rears just have a rounded diff cover.

• 2 years later...

Bringing this back form the dead;

I've been seeing allot of r200 Hellical LSD's on ebay. How would a Hellical type be vs a clutch type. I know I'm going LSD in front but is a $300 Helical a good move or should I stick to the clutch type?

If I wasnt selling my pathy I would be all over this mod...It would of saved me a few weeks ago when I was stuck....I dont see any reason why you couldn't do thsi mod on the 90-95 pathys as long as you unlock your hub for normal driving.

The helical type is different, but again, not a bolt-in for for the front Pathy diff.

Trail running is usually done at very low speeds. A VLSD requires heat and wheelspin to work. With only 60 lbs breakaway force, the effect is fairly insubstantial. Just ONE of my tires/wheel weighs 60 lbs! If you lift a tire off the ground with a VLSD, you will instantly have a one-wheel-peel-mobile until you generate enough wheelspin to heat up the silicon fluid and make it work even a little, by which point you've gotten stuck. :(

I'm ASKING ABOUT HELICAL LSD. It does not use fluid motion like vlsd and it does not use clutch plates like clutch type lsd. I beilve it uses worm gears that push against its case under torque(see pic below)... it works but know its differant from VLSD or CLSD. I've seen a few for 87-89 300zx turbo(doesn't say anyting about the special edition models). I just wanna know if anyone with a better understaing of it thinks it would be good for an offroad aplication.

hlsd.jpg

DOES ANYBODY KNOW ABOUT HELICAL LSD?

Ok for the record Incase anyone else asks. I finally found a site describing how the HLSD works and tested in drift, drag & rally carts.(CLSD was the prefered choice for rally) The description gave many scenarios, drift, ice, snow drag all exellent but if 1 wheel completely leaves the ground it acts like an open diff. A unling CLSD, HLSD cannot be modified to increase breakaway torque, Its torque multiplies towards the slow wheel based on driveshaft input as long as both wheels are on the ground.

Edited by MY1PATH