How many miles on your brakes?

sigtauenus

I have about 128,000 miles on my 98 Pathy 4x4, and am just now changing the rear brakes. Changed the front ones twice now, but everytime we have the rear ones checked they look good and they are just starting to squeel and figure its time.

Anybody else luck out with brakes lasting that long? Seems kinda like I got a good bit of mileage out of those brake shoes.

Sam

rear brakes don't go nearly as sson as fronts because the front gets most of the weight/momentum so they always go sooner than the rear, seems like alot of miles for the first replace but 2:1 front:rear seems about right

I think you have just been biting on the front brakes since the first front pad change... 124K miles on brake shoes is unheard of unless it is all highway miles and you never use the brakes. Regardless, don't fuss... If they work fine, so be it. ;)

B

Fortunately or unfortunately I've got you beat here 141K and change on the original equipment pads front and back. Ya a bunch of highway miles but offset with some towing of my 20' I/O boat. I don't engine brake much but I do employ the "go for green" phlisophy when driving in town. Attemptng to intentionally not use my brakes between stop lights. Granted it's probably easier with a MT than an auto.

M

Well, after opening up the rear brakes, I found that both the shoes and drums still looked brand new. Compared the original shoes with the new ones and they looked identical.

The shoes and drums were glazed over pretty good. I cleaned what little brake dust there was off the brake assemblies, used some 80 grit sandpaper to scuff the glaze off the drum surface and off the shoe surface and put them back together. I then proceeded to flush the brake fluid, replacing the 7 year old fluid was quite noticable during the bleeding process as it went from a dark tan to almost clear. I actually got a lot of bubbles out of the rear lines, and suprisingly got a bunch out of the front too. Not sure if that was the culprit or not, but I figure I'll keep a close eye on them, check the rears again at the next oil change, and if they still don't seem to be doing much, I'll seek professional help.

Wheel cylinders looked brand new, no sign of any leakage. Brakes were adjusted properly. I'm not sure professional help will actually matter, as the pro's have been telling me at 60,000 and 100,000 mile inspections that the rear brakes looked fine, and didn't catch that they apparently weren't doing anything.

BTW, what weight gear oil do you use for the differential and transfer case? I haven't ever changed those out and know it needs to be done.

Sam

Yep, the old rounded off star wheels. Same as I have. I've got great brakes after I do a manual adjustment. Too lazy to go to the dealer to get new ones.

I change my fronts about every 18 to 24 months so I'm getting about 60k out of the pads, I'd probably get more if I'd get those star wheels for the back.

BTW: Exactly how do the back brakes self adjust? Backing up? Pulling on parking brake?

Edited by Oldpathy

lemme see.. bought the pathy with 114,000 on her 2 yrs ago... has 137,000 now.. so that's 23,000 i've done since i've had her and brakes are still good. thinkin the front or rears are starting to need attention.. i have to check this week. stopping a little "pedal soft" nowadays... dunno when the PO did the brakes... :blink: